PDA

View Full Version : Flourite Sand vs. Flourite Gravel and how much?

bstreep
04-12-2010, 10:38 AM
OK, need to get on this - got the tank cleaned up this weekend from it's years as a reef.

Should I go with Flourite Gravel or Sand? (I'm going Black) I'm thinking Gravel, because it will be much easier to keep clean? The sand sure LOOKS nicer though.

Also, how deep. Calculations on my 215 show I need 160lbs for 1.5" and 200lbs for 2".

TIA.

Wahter
04-12-2010, 11:08 AM
OK, need to get on this - got the tank cleaned up this weekend from it's years as a reef.

Should I go with Flourite Gravel or Sand? (I'm going Black) I'm thinking Gravel, because it will be much easier to keep clean? The sand sure LOOKS nicer though.

Also, how deep. Calculations on my 215 show I need 160lbs for 1.5" and 200lbs for 2".

TIA.

What type of discus are you planning to get? Most non-albinos will darken up with darker substrates and many pigeon blood strains will show peppering. Same thing if you have a black background.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=75159

Some things to consider.

Walter

bstreep
04-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the reply, Walter.

Yes, I'm aware of the nature to darken - and I'm ok with that. The tank will have no background (see through, and white side walls (it's in the wall, with white walls next to it).

Fraise
04-13-2010, 10:04 PM
I would go with sand. Once you get the hang of cleaning it it becomes quite easy although i would recommend a brand other than flourite. In my experience, the black sand is very fine and when vacuuming a lot of it tends to get sucked up and takes a while to settle back down.

waters10
04-13-2010, 10:17 PM
I would go with sand. Once you get the hang of cleaning it it becomes quite easy although i would recommend a brand other than flourite. In my experience, the black sand is very fine and when vacuuming a lot of it tends to get sucked up and takes a while to settle back down.
How fine is it, compared to pool filter sand?

Don't want to hijack your thread, but I was thinking about posting about fluorite black sand! I was planning to top it with white pool filter sand though. But I know when you mix substrates, the finer one tends to end up at the bottom, hence my question.

Oh and the reason I'd go with sand, is because plants can get rooted easier on sand. And I'm planning to go with a HC carpet, which people seem to have problems with that plant on gravel.

thanks

blade59
04-13-2010, 11:14 PM
Have to agree with Walter. My first Discus tank was with black sand and some black gravel. I have to say it really dulled the colors. Once i figured out what was going on from this forum I switched and my fish and I have been a lot happier.....but it is a personal preference.

Fraise
04-14-2010, 02:14 AM
How fine is it, compared to pool filter sand?

Don't want to hijack your thread, but I was thinking about posting about fluorite black sand! I was planning to top it with white pool filter sand though. But I know when you mix substrates, the finer one tends to end up at the bottom, hence my question.

Oh and the reason I'd go with sand, is because plants can get rooted easier on sand. And I'm planning to go with a HC carpet, which people seem to have problems with that plant on gravel.

thanks

i cant speak for pool filter sand since i dont have any direct experience with it. compared to carib-sea white sand it is considerably finer. I wouldnt bother layering the substrates though. I've had a carpet plant in my tank with the carib-sea and also the flourite and there wasnt any noticable difference in their growth

I would also agree with walter in going with a light colour substrate. The difference i experienced in going from brown to white was quite drastic.

waters10
04-14-2010, 01:15 PM
i cant speak for pool filter sand since i dont have any direct experience with it. compared to carib-sea white sand it is considerably finer. I wouldnt bother layering the substrates though. I've had a carpet plant in my tank with the carib-sea and also the flourite and there wasnt any noticable difference in their growth

I would also agree with walter in going with a light colour substrate. The difference i experienced in going from brown to white was quite drastic.
hmmm. What kind of plant did you have? Did you dose ferts on the water column? What I'm reading is that flourite is able to absorb some of the ferts on the water column and make it available to the roots. I haven't decided if I'm going with 2 substrates or just go with inert pool filter sand yet.

Thanks

Fraise
04-15-2010, 09:27 PM
I had baby tears as a carpet plant along with some swords, some val grass and some other plants which i can not remember the name of.

jc1of2
05-16-2010, 01:01 AM
Hi, JC from maast here. I use pool filter sand in my 60g Discus tank along with fert tabs. I've never had a problem growing plants this way.