PDA

View Full Version : food for discus

gr8nguyen1
04-12-2010, 08:15 PM
i'm about to receive some new discus sometime later this week. my question is what should i feed them. i've read many different thing from processed beef hearts to frozen blood worms to pellets. i need some help. what types of food are the least polluting because i really don't have time to do daily wc.can i get away with just feeding tHem dry foods? and on the subject of water changes. is there an ideal time of the day to do them..like in the morning or can i do them at night after i came home from work?

Justice
04-13-2010, 12:21 AM
i'm about to receive some new discus sometime later this week. my question is what should i feed them. i've read many different thing from processed beef hearts to frozen blood worms to pellets. i need some help. what types of food are the least polluting because i really don't have time to do daily wc.can i get away with just feeding tHem dry foods? and on the subject of water changes. is there an ideal time of the day to do them..like in the morning or can i do them at night after i came home from work?

Mals FDBW's http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=77064 That is one food your fish will LOVE!

diamond_discus
04-13-2010, 09:59 AM
+1 on the FDBW ...

You can do WC anytime you want. I do my daily WC late at night.
Don't overfeed. Feed enough so that your fishes can finish within a few minutes.

Don't over stock. Average should be 10 gallon water per fish.

Use lots of filtration.. Use filter(s) that can provide 10X flow rate of your tank size. Add a prefilter to your filter intake. I would add sponge filter as well.

nc0gnet0
04-13-2010, 10:19 AM
+2 On mal's FDBW......My discus are now readily hand fed....by accident I might add. First started pressing the cubes against the glass to feed, now, they can no longer wait that long and attact my hand as soon as it is in the tank.

waters10
04-13-2010, 10:54 AM
+3 on the FDBW.

You said you can't change water daily, but how often are you planning to change? Beefheart mixes vary a lot, but even the cleanest one won't be as clean as dry foods. But you could only feed those when you're planning to do water changes. Even if it's not daily, it should help.

DerekFF
04-13-2010, 12:57 PM
beefheart on days when your gonna change water would be good to help promote growth, there are some really good flake foods out there. http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=8128
Theres a link to in my opinion, a really good and well balanced flake food.

gwrace
04-13-2010, 01:02 PM
+4 on the FDBW.

My fish also love the Ocean Nutrition Reef Flakes and Tetra Color Bits. Neither of these seem to cloud up the water. Of course they don't stay around long enough for that to happen..:D

gr8nguyen1
04-13-2010, 02:16 PM
thanks for all the great advice. i think that is exactly what i am gonna do. i will feed them bh on the days i will be doing water changes. now does anyone know of any really good types of bh. i prefer one that's not going to break up too quickly and foul up the water the least.
in terms of dry foods. has anyone one used the life spectrum discus food. i've read that its very good. does anyone have an opinion.

diamond_discus
04-13-2010, 03:15 PM
thanks for all the great advice. i think that is exactly what i am gonna do. i will feed them bh on the days i will be doing water changes. now does anyone know of any really good types of bh. i prefer one that's not going to break up too quickly and foul up the water the least.
in terms of dry foods. has anyone one used the life spectrum discus food. i've read that its very good. does anyone have an opinion.

Check your pm.

scottthomas
04-13-2010, 06:30 PM
Mine love Prime Reef Flake. They are also high protein content.

RodneyL001
04-15-2010, 06:36 AM
You could also get the best of both worlds. Try "Beef Heart Flake Fish Food" Copy the below link into your browser. Also treat them with some live black worms sometimes, they will love you for it.

http://www.somethingsphishy.com/product_info.php?cPath=41_39&products_id=346

Spardas
04-15-2010, 10:21 AM
You could also get the best of both worlds. Try "Beef Heart Flake Fish Food" Copy the below link into your browser. Also treat them with some live black worms sometimes, they will love you for it.

http://www.somethingsphishy.com/product_info.php?cPath=41_39&products_id=346

Well, I've never bought from them but given the reviews on many forums on this guy; I don't think we should be buying anything from him so that we can stop his business.

On the other hand, I've had great experienced with Angel Plus. They also have a great variety of food and medicated food. They even sent a free sample.

Here's the link:
http://www.angelsplus.com/FoodFlake.htm

seanyuki
04-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Agreed ....angelplus or kenfish.com.....both foods good for discus.....proteins? depends on their age......fat discus or a nice shape discus ;)

Well, I've never bought from them but given the reviews on many forums on this guy; I don't think we should be buying anything from him so that we can stop his business.

On the other hand, I've had great experienced with Angel Plus. They also have a great variety of food and medicated food. They even sent a free sample.

Here's the link:
http://www.angelsplus.com/FoodFlake.htm

RodneyL001
04-15-2010, 12:06 PM

Sorry, sounds like I stepped into a deep pile of fish poop. I had read some negative feed back on some of his fish, I didn't know his dry goods were also bad. I've never heard of Angel Plus, I'll have to try the link now.

ZX10R
04-15-2010, 01:20 PM
I feed mine FBW and FBS but I just bought 8 new discus from Hans and he gave me his recipe of what he feeds his fish. I will be trying to make that tonight if I have time. Not sure about the freeze dried blackworms but I have given mine live blackworms before and WOW!! the went crazy for those. I have tried feeding mine the tetra bits and flake food before but they just turn there noise up to it. I age my water and do a 50% WC every 3 days. Hope everyones info helps goodluck with the new fish :)

JL15219
04-15-2010, 05:04 PM
I feed mine BH mix, Garlic flake, prime reef, and the freeze dried black worms the discus do crazy for it....I would definitely get the freeze dried black worms...

H82LOS3
04-17-2010, 11:40 AM
Thanks alot for this thread

RodneyL001
04-18-2010, 07:44 PM
Last word from me on this one, because I think it is important to give a balanced view. I bought some flaked beef heart, freezed dried blood worms and earth worms from, somethingsphishy. I am very satisfied with my purchase, the delivery was super fast, I think it was only like three days, and the prices were comprable with other sites.

angel eyes
04-26-2010, 01:13 AM
I feed my discus a highly varied diet...they get fed several times a day and depending what I'm in the mood to grab they might get any of the following throughout the day...

FLAKE FOODS:
*New Life Spectrum Fresh Water Flakes
*Wardley Advanced Nutrition Perfect Protein Tropical Fish Flakes
*AngelPlus The Works Flake
*AngelPlus Meat Eaters Flake
PELLET FOODS:
*New Life Spectrum Growth Formula
*New Life Spectrum Discus Formula
FROZEN FOODS:
*Hikari Bio-Pure Spirulina Brine Shrimp
*Hikari Baby Brine Shrimp
*Hikari Bio-Pure Bloodworms
*Hikari Bio-Pure Mysis Shrimp
*San Francisco Bay Brand Freshwater Multi-Pack
LIVE FOOD:
*Live Brine Shrimp

Oh,
and they steal the plecos Hikari Brand Algae Wafer, Fresh Cut Cucumber, Fresh Cut Zucchini, and Canned no Sodium French Cut Green Beans when the feel like being boogers.