PDA

View Full Version : Which heater is better: WonPro Heat or Via Aqua Glass Heaters?

allan_mark76
04-13-2010, 02:03 PM
Okay guys going to be placing an order with Ken's Fish for some heaters and was wondering which was better: a. :confused:Won Pro Heat Submersible Heaters or b. :confused:Via Aqua Glass Heaters.

Your experiences and ideas would be greatly appreciated in making up my decision.

Oh yeah the wattage will be 250 or 300watts if that helps any.

Thanks.

~AKA~

mlov1022
04-13-2010, 03:32 PM
Probably better off with the Jager heaters, I'm sure most will agree.

diamond_discus
04-13-2010, 03:34 PM

Agree ... Kens has great price for those Jager heaters, which also has 3 yrs warranty (I think)

allan_mark76
04-13-2010, 03:50 PM
Had a couple of Ebo's that fried some fish a few years back and never went with them again. Same goes with the Stealth's Right now I'm just looking for the next best thing.

~AKA~

Justice
04-13-2010, 03:55 PM

+2

Arjunpun
04-13-2010, 05:59 PM
+2
+3
Jager heater is the best.

LizStreithorst
04-13-2010, 06:06 PM
I agree with everyone else.They all fail,but the Ebo's are the best.

Eddie
04-13-2010, 06:55 PM
I agree with everyone else.They all fail,but the Ebo's are the best.

+5

allan_mark76
04-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Looks like you all made up my mind.

Anybody know where I can get Ebo's on sale?

Thanks.

~AKA~

Arjunpun
04-13-2010, 08:30 PM
Buy it from kens fish. Its cheap already. I don't want to go eBay on used jager heater and take a risk.

scottishbloke
04-13-2010, 08:44 PM
I'm using Via Aqua 300 watt heaters right now; so far they are doing a good job and are also thicker glass (2mm), but I ONLY bought them due to very low funds- when I have more money I will be replacing them with Jagers from Kensfish.com, who has the lowest prices I have seen so far. My LFS does stock Jagers, but charges over $40 apiece for them, almost double what Kensfish does. IMHO, get the Jagers.

Colin

Condor
04-13-2010, 09:18 PM
+5

+...lets see, what # are we on now?:D 8 I think...

Adrian

Jhhnn
04-13-2010, 10:11 PM
Me too... + whatever...

Jagers are long, so be aware of that, and they often need to be calibrated. At least they can be calibrated, and it's really no big deal. the instructions are in the box, and if they're not clear enough, post back...

nc0gnet0
04-13-2010, 10:29 PM
Ahh but the real question is are you better with one expensive heater or two cheaper ones? I purchased one of these off of ebay, and so far I love it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270547445847&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

If you don't mind reading celsius, the thing can control up to 2000 watts of heater power.

diamond_discus
04-13-2010, 10:50 PM
Looks like you all made up my mind.

Anybody know where I can get Ebo's on sale?

Thanks.

~AKA~

Kensfish or Jehmco

waters10
04-13-2010, 10:50 PM
Ahh but the real question is are you better with one expensive heater or two cheaper ones? I purchased one of these off of ebay, and so far I love it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270547445847&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

If you don't mind reading celsius, the thing can control up to 2000 watts of heater power.
wow. I thought temp controller were a lot more than that! How accurate/reliable is this?

allan_mark76
04-14-2010, 12:36 AM
Wholly crap what is that thing?!?! Does it really work? How many heaters can you hook up to it? We need info please.

~AKA~

alpine
04-14-2010, 08:26 AM
I spent good money when I started with WON titanium heaters with new temp controlers and had a very bad experience . left my five females in a tank , came back from a two day vacation and they were fried . Te heater or controler got stuck on . the worst part , well one the worst parts was the customer service from WON . No, No , No ....no caring what so ever about anything . An Oriental lady handle the call , very rude . I spent a great deal of money buying what I though it was high quality and had a rude awakening !

Roberto.

Jhhnn
04-14-2010, 09:35 AM
I've been using the finnex hc-0800 controllers from kensfish with jagers plugged into them. I calibrate the jagers, set 'em to 88-90F, then use the controllers to regulate the aquarium at a lower temp. So far, so good. The thermostats in the jagers act as backup to the controllers.

Yeh, sure, I think the jagers are likely the best of what's available, but that doesn't mean I trust 'em or the controllers. redundancy in temperature control is good- greatly reduces the chances of cooked fish...

acroken
04-14-2010, 10:07 AM
i also like the ebo's. all heaters need to be checked from time to time and calibrated at the start. i have had some bad heaters from most all manufactures but the ebo's seem to be the best and now they are the only heater i own with the exception of my two display tanks, i use Finnex Digital Temperature Heater Controller - HC-0810M, which are dead on and have been for the 5 years in operation. I really like what jhhnn-John is doing with the controller as a back up to the ebo's. On a single tank or system that seems to be the most reliable way to control temp.

Kenny

Condor
04-14-2010, 10:14 AM
I've been using the finnex hc-0800 controllers from kensfish with jagers plugged into them. I calibrate the jagers, set 'em to 88-90F, then use the controllers to regulate the aquarium at a lower temp. So far, so good. The thermostats in the jagers act as backup to the controllers.

Yeh, sure, I think the jagers are likely the best of what's available, but that doesn't mean I trust 'em or the controllers. redundancy in temperature control is good- greatly reduces the chances of cooked fish...

i also like the ebo's. all heaters need to be checked from time to time and calibrated at the start. i have had some bad heaters from most all manufactures but the ebo's seem to be the best and now they are the only heater i own with the exception of my two display tanks, i use Finnex Digital Temperature Heater Controller - HC-0810M, which are dead on and have been for the 5 years in operation. I really like what jhhnn-John is doing with the controller as a back up to the ebo's. On a single tank or system that seems to be the most reliable way to control temp.

Kenny

Can you plug more then one heater in these controllers? Thanks

Adrian

nc0gnet0
04-14-2010, 01:41 PM
I calibrate the jagers, set 'em to 88-90F, then use the controllers to regulate the aquarium at a lower temp. So far, so good. The thermostats in the jagers act as backup to the controllers.

Amen, I am doing the same after a very bad expieriance with Stealth Pro's (don't get me started on them, lost my 1st 6 discus do to them). Although I set my heaters at 86-88.

wow. I thought temp controller were a lot more than that! How accurate/reliable is this?

So far so good, I have only had it 10 days, but it works perfect so far. It needs a drop of .3 degrees celsius to kick on, then turns off once it hits target temp. It actually has a contact for a chiller too, not that you will ever need it. Oh, and it can be calibrated also. On a final note I would like to add I have only had it 10 days, but if you look at the sellers feedback he has a ton of positive (and no negatives) feedback on this same item.

Wholly crap what is that thing?!?! Does it really work? How many heaters can you hook up to it? We need info please.

Its rated at 2500 watts, although I would feel safer limiting it to 1200 watts. There really isn't alot to a thermostat, its just a temperature controlled relay and you only need to control one leg of the AC circuit (just like your light switches).

You have to do a little bit of wiring with this thing, but it is really easy. Nice thing is that it can be flush mounted to a cabinet or stand.

I am about to pull it off of the QT tank I have set up and try it on my pond which has a 1200 watt heater, lets see how it does there.

Jhhnn
04-14-2010, 07:25 PM

The finnex are rated at 800W, so you need something like this to control more than 1 heater in a tank-

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BX57JA/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000QZ6KBC&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1DZZHWNVZ99D1EMH7150

The controllers from ebay, mentioned above, may well be as good or better- I've not used them. Jehmco sells industrial grade Ranco controllers, too, which are pricey...

The one disadvantage to the finnex is that the lead to the thermistor is only ~3', limiting placement options.

Justice
04-14-2010, 07:51 PM

AdrianI run two Ebo's on an HC-0810 controller.

I just plugged a heavy wattage power strip that I had laying around in to it and the two heaters into the power strip. (I was being too cheap to buy the splitter).

Oh and I plugged child safety plugs into the UN-used receptacles on the power strip just to make sure nothing else gets plugged into it since i had a few left over from child-proofing for my Granddaughter.

Condor
04-14-2010, 08:31 PM
Thanks!!

Adrian

nc0gnet0
04-16-2010, 05:09 AM
After two days of testing using a 200 gallon tank filled with 60 degree water (initially) I had the ebay controller I linked to hooked to 4 heaters totalling 1100 watts. (I was setting up a parrot cichlid tank for the gf). I can say so far so good, the little thing ran flawlessly. You can't beat it for 19.99.