PDA

View Full Version : which cory catfish is suitable

gr8nguyen1
04-13-2010, 04:31 PM
i currently have 2 albino, 2 julii, 2 peppered cory catfish in my 75 gallon tank. i also have a dwarf gourami. i will be receiving 5 adult discus. i wanted to know if these fish will be ok with the high temps in a discus tank.
can someone recommend a good schooling fish for my discus tank. i mean something else besides the standard rummynose and cardinal tetras

angel eyes
04-26-2010, 05:55 AM
i currently have 2 albino, 2 julii, 2 peppered cory catfish in my 75 gallon tank. i also have a dwarf gourami. i will be receiving 5 adult discus. i wanted to know if these fish will be ok with the high temps in a discus tank.
can someone recommend a good schooling fish for my discus tank. i mean something else besides the standard rummynose and cardinal tetras

the cory's will be fine and so should the dwarf gourami (bump the temp slowly to 86F)...I have a 90g with 7 discus, 12 bronze corydoras, several dwarf honey gouramis, and a school of glow lite tetras, and 2 kerri tetras, and 2 glass catfish (sadly, my lfs never got any more in..reason for only 2)

If your not a fan of rummy noses or cardinals you may want to give the glow lites a shot.

Here's just a few that come to mind:
Glow Lite Tetras
Kerri Tetras
Emperor Tetras
Glass Bloodfin Tetras
Black Neon Tetras
Praecox Rainbowfish
Glass Catfish
Marbled Hatchetfish are great top level swimmers and make good dither fish

stephcps
04-26-2010, 08:56 AM
I have 10 harlequin rasboras and 10 espeii rasboras and they are awesome!! Tight little schoolers, very pretty fish.

Skip
07-27-2010, 10:29 PM
i was at Gulf Coast Discus in Houston, this weekend.. they had several large discus in a big tank.. at the bottom.. there was a school of about 30 plus cory cats.. it was AMAZING!! it was like a HERD of Corys!! they also had about 30 cardinals.. these fish are amazing in large groups!! i can't wait to set up my 125 and get myself a Herd of Corys!! its a fantastic sight!! : )

Jennie
07-27-2010, 10:48 PM
just lost my albino cory. Was told temp too high. Replaced with 2 more. will see if they last longer than few months. Awsome garbage cans!

angel eyes
01-13-2011, 09:59 AM
just lost my albino cory. Was told temp too high. Replaced with 2 more. will see if they last longer than few months. Awsome garbage cans!

VERY late response, but I've kept albinos in temps up to 86F without issues.

lpiasente
01-14-2011, 06:19 AM
I have pandas julii albinos peppers and bronze cories. I find the albinos and the peppers only live a couple of years but the pandas and julii are doing great guns. The pandas are my favourite

runner
01-14-2011, 12:31 PM
Hello all
Could anybody tell me a good place where I can get corys?
Thank you

Foxfire
03-05-2011, 06:43 PM
I got two sets of six Sterba's Corys (one for each discus tank)- these fish are attractive, active, school nicely, ignore discus totally, and prefer Discus temps (82 - 86F) and pH/hardness. Couldn't have a better clean up fish.
Yes, very old thread but I haven't seen anyone post this ideal clean up fish - perfect for Discus, inexpensive and really no down side since they need idenical water conditions. As a tank mate, don't think you can do better for a clean up fish and their max size is 2.6 inch.

Darrell Ward
03-05-2011, 10:02 PM
I recently got 6 wild cories from Brazil. I forget the strain, started with an "R" I think. All seemed healthy and swimming together. 24 hours later, 5 were dead in 84F water. The survivor is still with us, lonely I'm sure, 3 weeks later. I would order him some pals, but I'm afraid it would just be wasted money after that experience.

Eddie
03-05-2011, 11:20 PM
There's not really such thing as a clean-up fish as they contribute to more waste and impact the bioload. :) More like scavengers in a sense.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

runner
03-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Hello all
I posted several months ago asking if anybody could tell me where I can buy corys other then an LFS.
Anybody know? Would really appreciate some info.
Jay Walsh

ErikO
03-06-2011, 07:57 PM
Jay, have you checked out AquaBid?

NODAK1979
03-13-2011, 08:48 PM
I have 5 Sterbai and would recommend them to anyone. Attractive and leave everybody else alone.

ericatdallas
03-13-2011, 09:33 PM
The local fish clubs usually have people offering to sell their fish... I've seen catfish up quite frequently...

I usually buy mine at the local LFS... last time I bought some, Petsmart had them on sale for $1.50/each.

konceppt
03-15-2011, 02:35 PM
I have 9 glow light tetras that i might be giving a shot with my discus.I also have some pepper corys too

White Worm
03-15-2011, 02:42 PM
Sterbai and rasbora