PDA

View Full Version : Is this a pretty bad percentage of bad eggs?

DiscusOnly
04-13-2010, 09:07 PM
Is this too many white eggs?

Disgirl
04-13-2010, 09:31 PM
It looks like plenty of good ones there!
Barb:)

mmorris
04-13-2010, 09:39 PM
The issue is not whether there are too many bad eggs, but how many good eggs there are. I'm with Barb. Congrats. :)

DiscusOnly
04-13-2010, 09:47 PM
The issue is not whether there are too many bad eggs, but how many good eggs there are. I'm with Barb. Congrats. :)

So it's OK even if it appear to have about 1/3 bad eggs. They are almost 40 hours and my guess is about 300 eggs all together. The high amount of white was a bit discouraging.

Thanks for the feedback.

brewmaster15
04-14-2010, 07:27 AM
Since I am not using RO these days, I routinely see small hatch rates...but I am fine with it as it save my well.....That percentage you have is going to give you alot more fry than you may think...you'll have a good size spawn there to play with.

Just curious, what are the parameters of your water? are you using Ro?

-al

Eddie
04-14-2010, 07:29 AM
Nice batch Van! That will be alot of buggers, you'll see!

All the best!

Eddie

vera
04-14-2010, 08:28 AM
Beautiful pair vlam!!
hope next time u 'll be less concerned with white eggs
Good luck !!

DiscusOnly
04-14-2010, 08:39 AM
Nice batch Van! That will be alot of buggers, you'll see!

All the best!

Eddie

Thanks Eddie,

Yeah.. I am back in the trying breed again now that the temperature is warm and I can have more tanks running.

DiscusOnly
04-14-2010, 08:47 AM
Since I am not using RO these days, I routinely see small hatch rates...but I am fine with it as it save my well.....That percentage you have is going to give you alot more fry than you may think...you'll have a good size spawn there to play with.

Just curious, what are the parameters of your water? are you using Ro?

-al

Al

I use non aged tap water in all my tanks. This 20gal was set up about 10 days ago and 2 days before the spawn, I do a 30% top off with RO water for my WC. TDS coming out of my tap is 95 ppm. I use a whole house water filter. My RO unit gets it down to 3ppm. As for other parameters, I haven't done a test in a while, I should do one this weekend.

I didn't get too many more white eggs this morning but I see wigglers. I assume by the time I get home, the mom would have clean off most of the white eggs. This pair isn't an eggs or frys eater, just had problem getting a high rate of attaching in the past.

DiscusOnly
04-20-2010, 09:19 AM
Just an update.

The white eggs wasn't my problem. The frys had a tough time attaching to the parent (especially to the mom). I lost quite a bit of free swimmer but I now have a few dozen that did attached. There is still another good 2-3 dozen of free swimmer roaming around the tank and you can tell that they are starving cause they are about 1/2 the size.

I'll provide up new pictures tonight.

MostlyDiscus
04-20-2010, 09:29 AM
Looked like alot of good eggs were there. My guess would be that you had at least 120 or so wigglers.

Ed

DiscusOnly
04-20-2010, 09:39 AM
Looked like alot of good eggs were there. My guess would be that you had at least 120 or so wigglers.

Ed

Ed,

With my quick guess, there were about 200+ wigglers when I left on Friday afternoon to go away for the weekend. At the last minute, I pulled the sponge filter out and put it in the tank of my other pair when I lowered the water.

When I got home on Sunday, frys were scattered all over the tank and still not attached. The funny thing happened when I was doing WC on my other tank, I saw free swimmers all over my other tank (tank I put the sponge filter in) I ended up catching about a dozen of so of frys and put it back in this tank. A few that I missed ended up attaching to this darker female but it ended up being eaten by the male.

MostlyDiscus
04-20-2010, 09:59 AM
Thats a good size spawn for sure. No worries then with the bad eggs right? Dim the lights and leave the sponge filter in. The fry may go to the filter but so will the parents. The main thing is to try and keep the fry and parents together.

nc0gnet0
04-20-2010, 10:04 AM
A few that I missed ended up attaching to this darker female but it ended up being eaten by the male.

Thats interesting, I wonder if the male was not in the tank, if the second female would have served as a surrogate mom?