PDA

View Full Version : Tank bottom painting alternative

Keith Perkins
04-17-2010, 09:32 AM
I've found an alternative to painting the bottom of tanks that seems to work really well. First I cut a piece of cardboard just a hair smaller than the bottom "opening", maybe a 1/16th of an inch. I use a square to draw out a perfect rectangle. If you just bought a new boxed aquarium or stand you already have the necessary cardboard. Then I use a piece of the cheapest material I can find about 6 inches longer and wider than the cardboard. The material is wrapped around cardboard and held in place on the backside with duct tape. So far on the 29 and 55 that I've done I've used black material, but I'm also considering white in the future. "Force" the snug creation into the tank bottom opening and start setting up the tank. No watching paint dry, and no second coats necessary. :)

AirCapital
04-17-2010, 11:19 AM
here is a another good one. go to your local harware store and they have rolls of fake wood paneling like wall paper. you know the stuff you see in the 70s or 80s or my house...lol well the back is plain brown and sticky cut out the size you need for the tank and stick er on. the wood look will be facing outword and all brown inward. works great and can be peeled right off.