PDA

View Full Version : Inducing spawning

kitykatfunkiehat
04-17-2010, 02:22 PM
I have moved my pair to a 20g and added a cone for them to spawn on. The temperature is 84* F, and the tank is BB. I've been waterchanging to clean up poop and food daily. They haven't laid eggs since last Friday (4/9), and they were eaten, so I'm not exactly sure how long inbetween laying eggs that they wait to do it again. Sometimes I see them pecking at the cone, like they're cleaning it, but get distracted and swim elsewhere. Is there anything I can do to help them along and get this show on the road? Or do I just have to be patient?

Also, what kinds of fry can I expect from a red marlboro and blue diamond cross?

Thanks guys!

Elite Aquaria
04-17-2010, 03:10 PM
Let the water change go for a few days. Then do a large water change. Also I would recommend feeding some Black Worms. Safest way to go is to get some from Al.

kitykatfunkiehat
04-17-2010, 03:22 PM
Okay! Thats easy enough.

mmorris
04-17-2010, 04:52 PM
If they laid last Friday and now they're pecking, I suspect you could just carry on like you have been. I second the freeze-dried blackworms from Al.

kitykatfunkiehat
04-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Update:

I just sat and watched them for a solid half hour. I did a large water change today, after waiting a few days. The female seems to be minding her own business, and occasionally quivering. The male seems more skittish, and is badgering her around. He doesn't peck at her, or anything...just swims really fast towards her so she moves out of the way. Sometimes she swims away and other times she just ignores him. Is this normal? What should I be looking for?

mmorris
04-19-2010, 08:27 PM
What should I be looking for?

Eggs. :D It's hard to say if what you are seeing is pre-spawning behavior. Wait and see. :)

Double Up
04-19-2010, 09:06 PM
Update:

I just sat and watched them for a solid half hour. I did a large water change today, after waiting a few days. The female seems to be minding her own business, and occasionally quivering. The male seems more skittish, and is badgering her around. He doesn't peck at her, or anything...just swims really fast towards her so she moves out of the way. Sometimes she swims away and other times she just ignores him. Is this normal? What should I be looking for?

Sounds like my pair! give them some time.

kitykatfunkiehat
04-19-2010, 10:08 PM
Okay! I'm so impatient. I just want to see the magic happen, it's so intruiging!

ockyra215
04-19-2010, 10:18 PM
:DWell you are waiting to fast! I agree with Dan let the water change go then do a large one.Maybe even drop the water change waters ph a little and make it it a few degrees cooler not ice water just cooler .JMO

kitykatfunkiehat
04-19-2010, 10:27 PM
I'm not sure I want to mess with pH in my tanks, since it has always been extremely stable, and they spawned the first time under the conditions I currently have. I will wait a few more days for another water change though, and I'll try lowering the temperature. Thanks!!

Chad Adams
04-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Personally, I would just leave them alone. If they laid once, chances are HUGE they will lay again!
Keep the water clean & the food good.
Start messing with temps, Ph etc... & it becomes a chore. It's easier to just wait. Getting there is the fun.
Sounds like they are on the way. You'll have fry in no time!
Good Luck & Best Wishes
Chad