View Full Version : Converting from reef to discus

Aquatic Reef Creations
04-17-2010, 11:43 PM
Hi Gang,
I have been contemplating this for quite some time and have been reading up on discus.
I want some input from the "experts" on here.
I currently have a 120 reef. It consists of an acrylic 120 (48x24x24) with a single center overflow, a 20 gallon sump, multiple heaters, lighting is dual 250 watt metal halides and 2x 95 watt VHO actinics.
I am going to be moving in about 8 weeks. My plan is to move what I want to keep of the reef into a smaller tank and convert the 120 into a planted discus tank. Additionally, I have a 100 GPD RO/DI unit.
My thoughts are to keep the sump and change the lighting to just the VHO. If I go the VHO route I have an Ice Cap 660 that I could utilize 4x110 watt VHO over the tank.
I am not sure of the water parameters of the house that we are moving to, that is why I mentioned the RO/DI, just in case the tap water at the new house would necessitate me using that.

Any input as to how the experts would set up this tank (equipment) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kevin

Eddie
04-17-2010, 11:50 PM
Welcome to Simply!

You want to use 440 watts over a 120 gallon tank? Thats a ALOT of light. What type of plants and I am assuming you'll be running co2 with that amount of light?

Eddie

Aquatic Reef Creations
04-17-2010, 11:57 PM
Thanks Eddie.
The VHO is just what I have available. I don't have to run the 440 watts. I could make any combination of the four bulbs. I could use 1, 2, 3, or 4 bulbs. This is why I am asking for suggestions. I have thought about having the sump as a planted sump, similar to the way I have used it with the reef set up. I could run the sump with plants on a reverse daylight pattern to help maintain swings in the display. That way I could see some benefit from the plants taking up the nitrate. The display would have a few plants and some driftwood.
Maybe I am grasping here or maybe I need to do some more research?
Looking for directions/ideas from those with some experience.
Thanks for any input.

Ed13
04-18-2010, 12:10 AM
I'd start by getting a bit more detailed plan of attack going backwards. What do you want your end result to be with this tank and it's needs?

Are the halides going towards the new reef tank?
If you have an IC 660, for a planted I'd probably be looking at T5 rather than the VHO. Going to be much easier to find better bulbs for them.

CO2?

If you are keeping the sump, remember there really is no need for a fast flow through it. Less turbulent the better.

You are going to have to wait untill you test the water at the new place to make sure if you are going to have to work with it.

AS far as setup I'd just recomend you take the needs and wants of the discus into consideration and plant aroud it. For example plants that can take the heat, a light substrate of a finer grain, leave a foraging area (fine sand is great here). Discus are big, flat and eventually will spook so plan your hardscape accordingly, no sharp abrrasive objects and leave space for the to swim.

Out of personal choice, no PB, get 4.5" fish or larger, get enough discus but not too many, make the discus the main fish and add suporting characters that either "work" or a add an aestethic point.

Do yourself a favor and keep it simple, not necessarily bland just simple and in harmony. Some of the best planted discus tanks I've ever seen had less than 3-5 species of plants. It was the overall concept behind them and the technique that always made them special.

Aquatic Reef Creations
04-18-2010, 12:35 AM
The halides are going to go on the shelf for now. I have a 4x39 watt T5 fixture for my 36" 48 gallon tank that is going to house my little reef.
The end result, I hope, will be a minimally planted tank that is similar to the natural habitat that these fish come from. As for tank mates, I have thought about a few tetras, bristlenose pleco or two, and maybe a couple of others that are compatible. I want to have 6-8 discus. I have not decided if I want to have a specific strain or a variety of strains.

This is why I have started this topic so that I can get everything figured out prior to investing a lot of cash and time.

Eddie
04-18-2010, 12:43 AM
Sounds good, brainstorming then.

If you want to create a more natural habitat, then I'd highly suggest a group of wild caught discus, just my personal opinion.

All the best!

Eddie

Aquatic Reef Creations
04-18-2010, 12:59 AM
I have thought about that, the wild caught discus. The only drawback for me is that I want the different color strains of domestic bred fish.
Any other input as to the number and color of VHO bulbs, if I go that route.
What about utilizing the sump? How much flow (GPH) thru the sump? Is using the sump as a reverse daylight to grow plants to export nutrients a good idea?

Aquatic Reef Creations
04-18-2010, 03:04 AM
Another option would be to keep the 120 as a reef and make the 48 gallon the discus tank. My concern was that the 48 would not be big enough for discus. If I made the 48 the discus tank, I could use either 2x39 or 4x39 watt T5s for lighting. I could go with a bare bottom tank and go another route for filtration.
If you had these two options, which would you go with? What kind of stocking limitations would I have with the 48, as far as number of discus to thrive?

nc0gnet0
04-18-2010, 02:24 PM
I would go the 120 all the way, your lighting reqirements will have more to do with your plants then anything else....Are you sure you want to go planted? Oh and btw, soon enough you will be wanting that 48 gallon tank for a breeding tank :) What kind of GPH are you pushing through your sump and how is it setup?