PDA

View Full Version : Broken brace on 55 gallon, possible cracked glass

JaredP
04-18-2010, 07:06 PM
I posted this on my local forum, but want additional advice, here is my posts

I was setting up a new 55 to move the wifes favorite chiclids into. Just as I completed filling it with water, I turn my back to the tank and hear a very very loud "SNAP". I turn around to see the top brace broken, and the front and rear of the tank bowing out severely.

I repair the top brace and noticed that the front of the tank had what looked like a smudge on it. I tried to clean it off, and then noticed that it was a nearly perfect arc, going from each top corner. It appears to be broken in a slight flake.

So, should I retire this tank to breeding/growout after putting a piece of plexi inside it to help insure against glass blowout? I'm not going to trust it as a show tank anymore. I'm draining it out and looking at redoing the 45 tall for the chiclids right now.

Jhhnn
04-18-2010, 09:38 PM
Is this an arc that runs all the way across the front of the tank, or just a flake in one of the corners? Your description seems unclear...

If it's the former, you now have a snake or rodent tank... or a terrarium... if it's just a flake in the corner, it may be OK...

JaredP
04-18-2010, 11:07 PM
It goes from the top left corner, to the top right, almost like it is smiling. It does not go to the inside of the tank, it is only on the outside, but I can catch my finger on it.

Jhhnn
04-19-2010, 07:11 PM
Can't trust it with water over a couple of inches deep. It's still fine for dry critters, maybe a planted/ ornamental amphibian habitat.

If you don't have such a purpose for it, sell it (cheap) to somebody who does, being honest about the whole thing...

fish4fun
04-19-2010, 08:44 PM
I work for a tank builder....post some pics and i'll let you kniow what can be done.

JaredP
04-19-2010, 09:02 PM
I work for a tank builder....post some pics and i'll let you kniow what can be done.

You can not see the crack, I tried several pictures. Imagine a perfect arch from one top corner, dropping near the bottom and back to the other top corner. It does not go through it. On the outside of the glass you can catch your fingernail on the line, on the inside it's smooth. Any suggestions on how to capture it in a picture?

Wahter
04-19-2010, 10:30 PM
You can not see the crack, I tried several pictures. Imagine a perfect arch from one top corner, dropping near the bottom and back to the other top corner. It does not go through it. On the outside of the glass you can catch your fingernail on the line, on the inside it's smooth. Any suggestions on how to capture it in a picture?

You can take a photo of the tank then use a graphics program to trace where the edges of the crack is. Or just use a non-permanent marker and trace it - put a piece of paper inside the tank for contrast and take a photo.

Walter

RodneyL001
04-20-2010, 12:08 PM
Sorry that happened I would be scared to trust it also. Maybe you can keep some other critters in there, I have turtles in one of my tanks.

Darrell Ward
04-22-2010, 07:28 PM
If it's a new tank, take it back. At any rate, 55's are low cost as far as tanks go. I would replace it after the tank was exposed all that stress. 55 gals. of water would make one hellva mess if it blew apart.

Jhhnn
04-22-2010, 08:10 PM
You really want a 75 anyway, right? It's a really good size for discus... imho...

Darrell Ward
04-22-2010, 09:26 PM
A 75 is a much more desirable tank. Not only for the extra water capacity, but the extra width makes a big difference.

JaredP
04-22-2010, 09:39 PM
I was setting up a new 55 to move the wifes favorite chiclids into.

You really want a 75 anyway, right? It's a really good size for discus... imho...

Not a discus tank. Im growing out discus in 55's, and will have them in a 120 show tank.