PDA

View Full Version : Attachment Day

valery
04-19-2010, 09:02 AM
So today is finally attachment day, a couple are already swimming around the dad, so I hope more are to follow.

Q1: The tank water is probably fairly foul since the water level is lowered drastically to the height of the parents bodies, and theres a couple of little fry that didnt make it lying on the bottom. Should I change the water now? or wait until all attach?

Q2: All filtration in the tank is currently turned off and has been for a day now. There is also no aeration at the moment. When should I add a bubbler into the tank?

Q3: When should I start bringing the water level up? (It's a 38G bb)

All help would be appreciated.
[I am putting together a photo timeline of the process =) ]

kitykatfunkiehat
04-19-2010, 10:43 AM
I don't know the answer to any of your questions, but I'm looking forward to the pictures! You always have gorgeous discus.

valery
04-19-2010, 11:16 AM
I don't know the answer to any of your questions, but I'm looking forward to the pictures! You always have gorgeous discus.

Thank you Jenna :) I will post it once I feel like there is hope for them lol

William Palumbo
04-19-2010, 11:52 AM
Hi...You might want to change the water now. With a sponge filter, or airstone, the air should never be turned 100% off. I usually will leave it low enough to allow a bubble to bubble up VERY slowly. If needed to turn off all the way, do it for a little while...not a day. I have Hydro's in my breeding tanks, and when I did have to drain it down low, past the sponge output, I would place a SLOWLY bubbling airstone in the tank. Hopefully your fry will attatch, then you can slowly bring the water level back up. I usually wait until all the fry attatch...but if you are seeing dead fry on the bottom, might be best to change the water now. All the best...Bill

valery
04-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Hi...You might want to change the water now. With a sponge filter, or airstone, the air should never be turned 100% off. I usually will leave it low enough to allow a bubble to bubble up VERY slowly. If needed to turn off all the way, do it for a little while...not a day. I have Hydro's in my breeding tanks, and when I did have to drain it down low, past the sponge output, I would place a SLOWLY bubbling airstone in the tank. Hopefully your fry will attatch, then you can slowly bring the water level back up. I usually wait until all the fry attatch...but if you are seeing dead fry on the bottom, might be best to change the water now. All the best...Bill

Thank you for the help Bill. Just changed the water and added an airstone. Couldnt vaccuum all around the bottom of the tank, because one of the corners is where all the fry are, swimming around at the bottom. I also hope they all attach, every hour there are more and more swimming around, so I am hopeful.

William Palumbo
04-19-2010, 01:22 PM
That's good Valery! Hopefully they all will attatch. I have gone thru that, and at times still do. Sometimes you can luck out and play with the water level, light intensity and position, the covering of the tank, ect, and it can help...other times, no matter what it just does not work out. Sux I know. Is one of the things that make these fish a challenge to breed...and what makes them expensive. Good luck...Bill