PDA

View Full Version : Looks like calcium build up in my aging barrel

amunoz7
04-19-2010, 10:30 AM
I was wondering if anybody has the same issues or am I doing something wrong when aging my water. I age my water for 24 hours with prime and noticed that the inside of my barrel is covered with a white deposit that I assume is calcium after I refill my tanks. Is this harmful to my fish? I cleaned it out once only to come back my next water change.

Thanks, Aram

dbfzurowski
04-19-2010, 12:34 PM
Hey,
I'm no expert but usually solid build ups are from evaporating water, which is normal. i get it on the top of my tank, i wash it off from time to time. If it truly is Ca then its harmless.
take care.

Moon
04-19-2010, 12:56 PM
I have a thick build up in my barrel. It's harmless Calcium Carbonate precipitated from hard water. I usually rinse it out a once in a while.

Jhhnn
04-19-2010, 07:30 PM
My aging barrels develop a thin coating of bacteria, the same kind as in my biofilter, apparently. It's quite soft, unlike hard water deposits at or above the water line. I add prime when filling the barrels, so it's obviously a good environment for them.

It's not like there's a lot of it, or that it fouls the pumps, so I let it be, figuring that it must be feeding on the small amounts of organic material dissolved in the water... It might just be surviving on the ammonium released from chloramine by the addition of prime... Denver water definitely has chloramines...