PDA

View Full Version : Tetra Whisper air pump not working properly

amunoz7
04-19-2010, 10:37 AM
I just bought a Tetra Whisper air pump for my 2 sponge filters in my 55 gl tank and noticed that the sponge closest to the air pump is getting all the air flow to it. Any idea what I could be doing wrong? The other sponge gets some air flow but nothing compared to the one side. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Aram

Wahter
04-19-2010, 11:05 AM
I just bought a Tetra Whisper air pump for my 2 sponge filters in my 55 gl tank and noticed that the sponge closest to the air pump is getting all the air flow to it. Any idea what I could be doing wrong? The other sponge gets some air flow but nothing compared to the one side. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Aram

Is this a two outlet model or a one outlet model and you have a splitter to make the one outlet feed two sponge filters?

Walter

amunoz7
04-19-2010, 12:19 PM
Yes, it's a two outlet model and no I don't have a splitter.

dbfzurowski
04-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Could be the pump, old air stone, clogged air line, hard to say

amunoz7
04-19-2010, 12:43 PM
I pretty much disassembled the entire pump to check for any blockages but didn't find any I also replaced the air lines. I tried switching the air lines to test each output and they would continue doing the same thing, only 1 side getting 90% of the air flow. I'm all out of ideas.

JaredP
04-19-2010, 12:47 PM
I run pumps like that to a adjustable 3-way gang valve. I'll have the pump go in at the in port, and one of the "out" ports. And I then just adjust the outlets to the airstones to a balanced level.

jeff@zina.com
04-20-2010, 07:55 AM
I just bought...

Return it.

Jeff

tanglovers
02-06-2011, 02:20 AM
I run a couple of these in my fishroom. Had similar issues, all of a sudden stopped working when it was not very old. I sent it to the manufacturer and they repaired it and they have been great since (couple years now).

Jhhnn
02-09-2011, 10:30 PM
You're running one pump outlet to one sponge filter, and the other outlet to a second one, right?

Switch the hoses at the pump. If poor output switches at the sponge filters, the pump is defective and should be returned. If poor airflow stays with the one filter, then there's a problem in that circuit.

Probably the best way to use a dual outlet pump, once you have a good one, is to run tubing from both outlets to a manifold, like this-

http://www.kensfish.com/airvalves/5_lok-tite.jpg

Then run tubing from the valves to the outlets in the tank. I'd recommend a 4 or 5 valve model, so you can add devices as necessary, also vent off excess pump production to extend pump life.

moik
02-09-2011, 10:45 PM
Scrap that tetra pump and buy hagan maxima pump..you will have too much air flow to know what to do with..buy a repair diaphram kit while you are at it...you will be totally satisfied with this pump..

Darrell Ward
02-10-2011, 02:09 PM
Yeah, one of the diaphragms are bad. I usually just trash em when they do that, unless it's a high quality pump. I like the metal housed, creamy tan colored ones that JEHMCO sells. I have one of the larger 20 LPM models on my 240 gal. that runs one, 2 1/2" airstone in the tank, (valved down) and 6 smaller airstones on the bio reactor that "boil" the water in the sump without a problem. It's quite as well. Good pump.

kevin joseph
02-10-2011, 02:50 PM
haha they sell them at wall mart.i buy a new one and put the old one in the box and return it. my way of hating wall mart! i do it a couple times a year and i always have strong pumps running in my tanks.thanks to wall marts return policy! kinda trashy but wth its wall mart the biggest company in the world!

ericatdallas
03-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Josh, why don't you return it for cash and buy a quality pump? :)

KEWX
06-20-2011, 03:45 PM
Did you open the pump up and check the rubber diaphrams? I have a Tetra 100 that had both of the diaphrams good bad, so I'm e-mailing Tetra for replacement parts. If they don't provide them for free, where can I get the parts?

Jhhnn
06-26-2011, 09:02 PM
Did you open the pump up and check the rubber diaphrams? I have a Tetra 100 that had both of the diaphrams good bad, so I'm e-mailing Tetra for replacement parts. If they don't provide them for free, where can I get the parts?

Here, if they're for your pump-

http://www.amazon.com/Whisper-Aquarium-Pump-Parts-dome-style/dp/B001NTHFB4

KEWX
06-26-2011, 11:00 PM
Here, if they're for your pump-

http://www.amazon.com/Whisper-Aquarium-Pump-Parts-dome-style/dp/B001NTHFB4

Thanks for the tip!

ericatdallas
07-01-2011, 12:11 PM
I don't understand why the repair kit is so expensive... well, I guess I do... sell a $20 cheapo pump and charge $10 to repair it. Most people will just buy another crappy pump. A poor way to keep customers loyal though.

It's the same with the Maxi-jet powerheads. They charge almost as much for the impeller as for a new unit.

marcus4ybarra
12-16-2020, 11:35 PM
actually its a pretty easy fix...I took mine apart cause one side was not sending air. I open it and inside u take black cover off of the magic pump and u will see some O rings and some seal..well the side not working the center flap seal was cracked so I cut some electrical tape matching the size and placed it in place and bam I plugged it in and its working like new.. pretty easy and seems like the rape will last longer

marcus4ybarra
12-16-2020, 11:38 PM
very easy fix with just electrical tape to mimic the seals inside the pump. open it up and check what one is bad and make one out of electrical tape and put it in. I did and its working like new...no need to send it in and or pay for some repairs