PDA

View Full Version : My fish are sick, need suggestions please.

Kingfisher
04-19-2010, 03:40 PM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

I've had Discus for about 2 month now. About two weeks ago I added a few new fish to my fish tank. They looked really healthy at the start but now they appear sick.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

The sick fish turn dark, does not eat, has clamped fins, darts, one gill is clamped, skin color yellow, stands at the top of the tank away from others and sometimes rub against the rocks. The area around the gills and mouth are noticeably darker. Poop appears normal brown. The pectoral fin spasms once in awhile.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

I have added salt and increased the temp to 90 degrees. I do not want to medicate until I collect more info from other hobbiest.

Tank/Water
4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

112 gallon with 12 fish. They range from 3.5" to 5.5".

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

Gravel tank with rocks. 60% water change every 3 days. I have had the tank running for 3 months; 2 months with fish. I planted gravel from an established tank and swapped filters.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp _____86

- ph _____7.1-7.2

- ammonia reading ____0

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____less than 5ppm, at most 10ppm

- well water ____No

- municipal water ____Yes

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

Yes, two weeks ago.

Spardas
04-19-2010, 04:09 PM
Please get yourself a QT tank and always QT your new fishes. After a 3-4 weeks observation period, then add one fish from your established tank to the QT tank and observe for 1-2 weeks again before you put them all back to the main tank.

So anyway, do you have a spare tank to take out those sick fishes?

Also, is it just the new fishes that appear to rub on the rocks or try to scrape their gill? Did you recently disturb your gravel bed? Do you regularly clean the gravel after big meal everyday? Do you change water with aged water?

Also, reduce the temperature to 82 because if it's bacterial, you'll only increase the bacteria population.

Do daily w/c of 50% and I'll wait on your reply before giving advice on which medicine to use.

Kingfisher
04-19-2010, 04:37 PM
Please get yourself a QT tank and always QT your new fishes. After a 3-4 weeks observation period, then add one fish from your established tank to the QT tank and observe for 1-2 weeks again before you put them all back to the main tank.

So anyway, do you have a spare tank to take out those sick fishes?

Also, is it just the new fishes that appear to rub on the rocks or try to scrape their gill? Did you recently disturb your gravel bed? Do you regularly clean the gravel after big meal everyday? Do you change water with aged water?

Also, reduce the temperature to 82 because if it's bacterial, you'll only increase the bacteria population.

Do daily w/c of 50% and I'll wait on your reply before giving advice on which medicine to use.

I don't have a QT tank yet, but will get one. How big does it have to be?

I have seen two fish trying to scrape its gills.

I vaccuum the gravel bed everytime I clean the tank which is every three days. I don't understand what you mean by disturbed the gravel? Dont I disturb the gravel bed everytime I vaccuum it?

I do not change my water with aged water. The guy from Mac's Discus said the water in our area is ideal for discus and all I need to do is add Prime.

I'll reduce the temp to 82

I will also do dailey water changes after feeding them at night.

Spardas
04-19-2010, 05:09 PM
You can use a 30 - 55 gallon tank for QT purposes.

As for gravel, I'm just asking whether or not you clean it regularly and thoroughly.

If not, it can lead to build up in the gravel and if you disturb it after so many months, it'll be toxic to the fish.

It seems like you may have a heavy infestation of fluke. I'd treat with prazi first since you don't have and extra tank. It's mild compared to some other stuff out there.