PDA

View Full Version : need some help with quarantine tank

matt2426
04-19-2010, 04:57 PM
hi im pretty new to this hobby i have a question about setting up a quaratine tank i set one up and was wondering whats the best way about using it. do i keep it running nonstop with filters bio media heat and etc or do i just have to use it when my fish get sick or for new arrivals. just trying to figure out if i keep it running how do i add waste to it to keep the tank cycled and ready for sick fish to go in there without messing them up even more i would appreciate any feed back thanks alot

TankWatcher
04-19-2010, 05:16 PM
My quarantine tank doesn't necessarily run all the time, but i do make sure I always have an empty tank. I always have a spare sponge filter or even a spare cannister filter running on a known healthy tank. By spare, I mean an extra filter in excess of the need of the tank. If someone was to get sick, I take the spare filter, move it to the empty tank & I have an instant cycled quarantine tank.

EDIT: remember, not to return the "borrowed / spare" filter to the healthy tank without steralising it first.

You can keep an empty tank cycled by adding pure ammonia.

MikeF
04-20-2010, 12:40 PM
I agree with Robyn here. I keep extra sponge filters in my other tanks. That way when I need them, I can put them into a QT tank. Then I throw them into the microwave for a few minutes to sterilize them after completing the QT.