PDA

View Full Version : Eheim autofeeder question

Ed13
04-20-2010, 12:31 PM
I'm interested in an autofeeder, eheim are the best so ...

I have DIY glass tops and the only available opening is a 1" diameter hole. Will the basic(don't know the number) Eheim autofeeder work here?
Anyone have some input on them?

DiscusOnly
04-20-2010, 12:36 PM
I'm interested in an autofeeder, eheim are the best so ...

I have DIY glass tops and the only available opening is a 1" diameter hole. Will the basic(don't know the number) Eheim autofeeder work here?
Anyone have some input on them?

I used to use the basic one. I think the 1" is a bit small as some of the food starts falling as it rotates. I think the food holder is closer to 2.5" so you are going to get some falling on the side of the hole.

grantbudd74
04-21-2010, 06:46 AM
I have three of them and the holes are about half inch wide. Maybe you can get a funnel and cut the spout off and tack it in place with some silicon so you have a wider catchment area for the food coming from the feeder. They are great feeders and this is how I mainly feed my fish. They dont really spill food all over the place so you should be fine.

Look on e-bay you can get them less than half price of your fish shop.

Ed13
04-21-2010, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the replys.

I already tried the funnels. Four different sizes, cut at different lengths, with the water in the tanks at different heights and the result was the same. Pellets would get trap in the funnels lower parts by the moisture. They clog and started attracting fruitflies:mad: that strated laying eggs in that clump. The only difference the size of the funnels made was delay the time they would get clog.

I'm dealing with high humidity( no less than 80%) and the room has a door and windows that lead outside, hence the clogging and insectcs.

diamond_discus
04-21-2010, 09:45 AM
If you place the feeder right, and don't open the feeder all the way, you should be able to do it .. but 1" is indeed kinda small .. but on the good side, your fish won't be able to jump out .. :)

Eddie
04-21-2010, 09:52 AM
If you place the feeder right, and don't open the feeder all the way, you should be able to do it .. but 1" is indeed kinda small .. but on the good side, your fish won't be able to jump out .. :)

+1, most of the holes I use autofeeders on, are only 1" in size

Ed13
04-21-2010, 10:39 AM
YOU HAVE NO IDEA how many times these tops have saved some fish. They are heavy and bulky at 1/4"thick and holes were place in strategic points. I LOVE THEM!

+1, most of the holes I use autofeeders on, are only 1" in size
I guess you guys are talking about droping less food each feeding but increasing the number of feedings?
I only needed them for like 1 or 2 feedings but I see no problem doing more

Eddie
04-21-2010, 10:47 AM
YOU HAVE NO IDEA how many times these tops have saved some fish. They are heavy and bulky at 1/4"thick and holes were place in strategic points. I LOVE THEM!

I guess you guys are talking about droping less food each feeding but increasing the number of feedings?
I only needed them for like 1 or 2 feedings but I see no problem doing more

Yes, or you can set the feeder to do 2 cycles at each time interval. There are 4 time settings and the feeder can spin twice at each setting.

Eddie

waters10
04-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Yes, or you can set the feeder to do 2 cycles at each time interval. There are 4 time settings and the feeder can spin twice at each setting.

Eddie
yeah, if you set it to spin twice per setting, it spins once, waits an extra minute, then spins the second time.

ockyra215
04-21-2010, 10:55 PM
What model ehiem are you guys talking about?I have a penn plax one but it sucks can you program the times it feeds?let me know guys.
:D

diamond_discus
04-21-2010, 11:12 PM
What model ehiem are you guys talking about?I have a penn plax one but it sucks can you program the times it feeds?let me know guys.
:D

Eheim 3581 feeder ... I think this is the best feeder ... You can program up to 4 times a day (two turns each time).

There are actually two types : Fish Feeder and Turtle Feeder .. I found that they are actually the same feeder .. If you look at ebay, you will find a cheaper price for Turtle Feeder than Fish Feeder. The turtle feeder even comes with a mounting kit that allow you to mount the feeder to the side of your tank.

Eddie
04-22-2010, 03:32 AM
Eheim 3581 feeder ... I think this is the best feeder ... You can program up to 4 times a day (two turns each time).

There are actually two types : Fish Feeder and Turtle Feeder .. I found that they are actually the same feeder .. If you look at ebay, you will find a cheaper price for Turtle Feeder than Fish Feeder. The turtle feeder even comes with a mounting kit that allow you to mount the feeder to the side of your tank.

+1, picked up 4 a while back, turtlefeeder was how it was advertised. Total steal of a deal. Got like 4 for the price of one in the stores. :o

ockyra215
04-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Cool im checking ebay now! Thanks guys!:D