PDA

View Full Version : Spawning when under the weather?

jball1125
04-20-2010, 05:59 PM
Hey all,

Ok let me explain a little. I have a verry nice rose red pair which has been laying eggs every 4 or so days for the last couple of weeks. My question is. If they were unhappy with the water quality or sick would they still lay eggs?
Reason why I ask is because I just recently treated with levamisole to try and get rid of what I think is cappilaria, however I still see some little white clear things floating around everyonce in a while an Im not sure if those clear things are affecting my fish. Also yesterday my female scratched on the intake of the filter 4 times repeadedly. What do you guys think? Will fish still spawn even if they dont feel good?

kaceyo
04-21-2010, 03:44 PM
Yes, they can. But it's not likely that what you are seeing floating around is cappilaria.

jball1125
04-21-2010, 04:59 PM
I dont think that what I see floating arouns is cap. But I have heard from a couple of people that usually when fish have cap. they will poop out the clear mucus like substance. I wish I could afford a good microscope to put an end to the mystery :(

kaceyo
04-21-2010, 05:24 PM
I dont think that what I see floating arouns is cap. But I have heard from a couple of people that usually when fish have cap. they will poop out the clear mucus like substance. I wish I could afford a good microscope to put an end to the mystery :(

That is true, though you would probably see it hanging off the fish itself, so watch closely for that.
If the females scratching on the intake only happened a few times over a short period of time then I wouldn't worry about it. If it starts happening a few times an hour then there is something wrong.

jball1125
04-21-2010, 05:31 PM
Well I know there was something in them for sure becaue when I treated with vermisol there was alot alot alot of the same clear things all stuck on my filter intake and they looked pretty dead. Yea I gues fish have a right to scratch an ich too. lol