PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a new mix

srusso
04-20-2010, 09:53 PM
So I was just reading Eddie's Seafood mix and now I thinking about my own beef/seafood mix... of stuff I have or easy to get, tell me what you think.

Raw Beef heart
Raw Tuna
Tetra bits
Seaweed (the stuff they use for sushi)
nutrafin max flakes
Banana
Garlic cloves

hedut
04-20-2010, 10:01 PM
just my one cent add naturose :D:D

srusso
04-20-2010, 10:04 PM
just my one cent add naturose :D:D

I will gladly take your .02! What is it? Where can I get it? Why should I use it?

Can I use your .02 to buy more food? lol jk :)

fish4fun
04-20-2010, 10:54 PM
Naturose Astaxanthan Powder:
NatuRose(tm) is a natural source of astaxanthin, derived from a unique strain of the microalgae Haematococcus pluvialis. The majority of the NatuRose carotenoid fraction is astaxanthin, with about 15% of the remaining fraction consisting of canthaxanthin, lutein and beta-carotene. This highly concentrated form of natural astaxanthin has been carefully formulated into a fine, free flowing dark red powder and is an essential nutritional requirement for shrimp maturation and larviculture.
Mix this with your flake and pellet food at the rate of 1 part Nuturose to 500 parts feed. This will increase the platability and digestion of your food. Within 1-2 weeks you will see a large difference in the health and color of your fish because of the high amounts of Astaxanthan.

http://www.kensfish.com/kensspecialtyfood.html
Scroll down the page till you find it.

Eddie
04-21-2010, 02:36 AM
I wouldn't add anything for color until the fish are adults. I like to grow them out before using anything extra for color. Might add some raw shrimp to help with the binding. Also, when they do grow out, I'd just use paprika (poor man's red color enhancer). Works very well.

Eddie

MSD
04-21-2010, 08:22 AM
Easiest way is just buy our beloved leaders super mix, I'm talking about the one and only "Al Sabetta's" (aka Brewster) beefheart/seafood mix. He not only sells Mal's great freeze dried black worms, he makes and sells a beefheart/seafood mix the fish love and grow well on.

(OK, kissed enough butt yet?? LOL) :p

korbi_doc
04-21-2010, 09:03 AM
:D Second that motion!! lol...

Easiest way is just buy our beloved leaders super mix, I'm talking about the one and only "Al Sabetta's" (aka Brewster) beefheart/seafood mix. He not only sells Mal's great freeze dried black worms, he makes and sells a beefheart/seafood mix the fish love and grow well on.

(OK, kissed enough butt yet?? LOL) :p

calihawker
04-23-2010, 01:59 AM
I had a problem using nori (seaweed) the first time. I just couldn't get it mixed in well enough. I use chopped spinach.

Eddie
04-23-2010, 02:49 AM
For greens, I recommend collard greens. I switched from spinach to collard greens several months ago. I read they were a better source of calcium.

Eddie

MSD
04-23-2010, 08:38 AM
Same thing bird breeders do, use collard greens instead of romaine lettuce or other green leafy food. It is supposed to be much more nutritious.

CodOnMyRod
04-23-2010, 09:40 AM
Turnip greens, mustard greens and dandelion greens along with collard greens are all very nutritional and very good sources of calcium and other vitamins and minerals. I've used these to feed bearded dragons and also to gutload insects to feed other herps. I'm sure they can probably be implemented in our mixes.

Ruben

Eddie
04-23-2010, 09:51 AM
Turnip greens, mustard greens and dandelion greens along with collard greens are all very nutritional and very good sources of calcium and other vitamins and minerals. I've used these to feed bearded dragons and also to gutload insects to feed other herps. I'm sure they can probably be implemented in our mixes.

Ruben

Yup, read about turnip greens being another good source.

Eddie

srusso
04-23-2010, 10:14 PM
what green plants that discus eat in the wild?

dean9922
04-23-2010, 10:57 PM
great post...didn't know about turnip greens or the powder......thanks for the info

just one question and probably stupid......what are collard greens.....do we have that in Canada...lol

luckyfind
04-23-2010, 11:51 PM
Dean they are somewhat like cabbage and can get seed and grow your own.I grow my own zukini for my plecos.
Laurence

Eddie
04-23-2010, 11:58 PM
Collard greens

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=collard%20greens&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

Turnip Greens

http://images.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=turnip+greens&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&start=0

Justice
04-24-2010, 08:13 PM
I just made some BH Mix today, I used:

3 lb Beef Heart
1 lb Shrimp
1 lb Cod
8 oz Angels+ Meat eater Flake
1 handful of Spinach (chopped super fine)
2 Garlic Cloves
25 grams of Mal's FDBW's
1 very ripe Banana
2 oz Di Calcium Phosphate
2 tsp Paprika
3 oz Gelatin

I hope they like Mal's FDBW's in the Mix!

Eddie
04-24-2010, 08:50 PM
I just made some BH Mix today, I used:

3 lb Beef Heart
1 lb Shrimp
1 lb Cod
8 oz Angels+ Meat eater Flake
1 handful of Spinach (chopped super fine)
2 Garlic Cloves
25 grams of Mal's FDBW's
1 very ripe Banana
2 oz Di Calcium Phosphate
2 tsp Paprika
3 oz Gelatin

I hope they like Mal's FDBW's in the Mix!

Looks like a nice mix Joe! All the best!

Eddie

Justice
04-24-2010, 09:45 PM
Looks like a nice mix Joe! All the best!

EddieThanks Eddie!

I forgot to add the Vitamins to the Mix though. :(

Eddie Wells
04-27-2010, 10:46 PM
Ok this is my first post so bear with me. Spinach and collards are veg. that have high calcium rates, but they also contain high levels of oxalates which help inhibit the intake of calcium into the body. So veg. with low oxalate levels would be a better choice. My preference is kale. Also high oxalate vegetables contribute to the formation of kidney stones. Here's a chart to look at on oxalates. All of these are high oxalate vegetables.

Raw Vegetable Oxalate contentmilligrams per 100 gram serving
Spinach 750
Beet greens 610
Okra 146
Parsley 100
Leeks 89
Collard greens 74

Thanks for listening !

Eddie

Justice
04-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Ok this is my first post so bear with me. Spinach and collards are veg. that have high calcium rates, but they also contain high levels of oxalates which help inhibit the intake of calcium into the body. So veg. with low oxalate levels would be a better choice. My preference is kale. Also high oxalate vegetables contribute to the formation of kidney stones. Here's a chart to look at on oxalates. All of these are high oxalate vegetables.

Raw Vegetable Oxalate contentmilligrams per 100 gram serving
Spinach 750
Beet greens 610
Okra 146
Parsley 100
Leeks 89
Collard greens 74

Thanks for listening !

EddieThanks Eddie that gives me a good excuse not to eat spinach, After all I don't want to get kidney stones. ;)

And congratulations on your first post. :D