PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Discus in a pond

rbrooker
04-21-2010, 08:48 AM
I don't know if this was ever discussed here, and searching through the forums have not shown any thus far, but has anyone kept Discus in an outdoor pond?

I live in the Caribbean and was tinkering with an idea of building a "river" system in my backyard and populate it with Discus.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Randall

LizStreithorst
04-21-2010, 09:09 AM
I remember years ago on Aquaforums Julz tried growing out a spawn of juvies in an outdoor pool one summer. I don't remember the details, but the fish didn't do well. The other thing is that Discus are best observed in a tank. Because of their shape, there isn't much to see when they are viewed from above.

Eddie
04-21-2010, 09:11 AM
I've always wanted to build an above ground pond with a glass pane for viewing. Nice biotope would be amazing. Guess the climate and actual system would be the deciding factor.

Eddie

Ed13
04-21-2010, 09:16 AM
LOL I asked the same years back. Still a project in the back burner too;).

Where are you in the Caribbean? Regulating temp is an obstacle. It may be too hot during the day and other than summer, it may be a little too cold during the night. If it's a large body of water heating it during the night and cold-ish windy days gets expensive fast. You'll need the correct volume of water to hold a steady temp and still be functional or have the means to manipulate it.

We are also down Hurricane ave.so you'd have to plan for them ahead of time. Ocassional heavy rains may overflow the pond too, washing away your discus.

Predators are of concern too. My biggest problem is stray and neighborhood cats. The ocassional crane and other fishing birds are a concern at least for young discus and other small fish. If you are near a river they will find your pond and at least they'll be wading and pooing into it which will/may introduce parasites and pathogens.

Discus also don't like overhead movement a lot. If done correctlythey'll adapt but you may get jumpers otherwise.

I dont know if a "river" is feasible or the correct theme here though, a pond is certainly better for the discus. You can have a "river" or waterfall leading to it.

In short is doable, but it'll have to be well thought out with very few flaws to work properly on all accounts.

Frankr409
04-21-2010, 09:36 AM
If I were a seabird I would be wondering how tasty a round blue fish is.

Eddie
04-21-2010, 09:41 AM
If I were a seabird I would be wondering how tasty a round blue fish is.

If I were a shotgun, I would be wondering how easy it would be for me to blow apart a seabird.

vera
04-21-2010, 10:08 AM
LOL

+u will have no way to catch desease in the beginning seeing no symptoms from top

John_Nicholson
04-21-2010, 02:06 PM
Many, many years ago Jim Quarles grew some out in a swimming pool. They did fine but I no longer remember all of the details.

-john

boonseong
04-21-2010, 02:14 PM
Lol, sounds like a cool tour to go into a swimming pool and see the discus sights, provided the discus don't assume you are food. Some of the young uns are pretty hungry

Eddie
04-21-2010, 02:16 PM
Lol, sounds like a cool tour to go into a swimming pool and see the discus sights, provided the discus don't assume you are food. Some of the young uns are pretty hungry

True, even the biggins! I can't put my hands in one of my tanks, the fish constantly bite my hand!