PDA

View Full Version : who moves ?

Northwoods Discus
04-22-2010, 09:42 AM
I had my first batch of fry attach 5 days ago. They are growing rapidly. The fry are from the cobalt I had in the university and a blue diamond. They had wigglers in the community tank around 10 times. The first attempt in the breeding tank was not successful. The eggs developed fungus. The pair then began fighting and I put them back in the community tank ( luxuriously planted vs bb ) and they were happy again producing wigglers and eating well. I fattened them up in the community tank and then tried again. This time I used some methylene blue and it worked. The tank was clean and I use RODI water and add RO right to bring the degree of hardness up to 3-4. The tank was clean and used RO before. The change was the MB. I put the MB in a little soon while they were still spawning and I did not know if it would hurt the sperm and fertilization but I have 60 plus 5 day attached fry now growing like mad.
I see that the time to separate fry and parents is around 3 weeks. Is it best to move the fry or the parents? I have a 75 gal grow out cycled and ready. The breeding tank is a bb 29. The parents could go back to there luxury sweet for a while. What do most of you do?

mmorris
04-22-2010, 10:46 AM
I move the fry into a 55 gallon, or, if it is a small batch, move the parents and grow the fry out a bit in the 29 gallon first.

pinoysport
04-22-2010, 01:26 PM
I move the fry into a 55 gallon, or, if it is a small batch, move the parents and grow the fry out a bit in the 29 gallon first.

Hey martha.

what do you consider small? and large?

sm = 20-40?

lg 50 +

John_Nicholson
04-22-2010, 01:42 PM
If you are trying to be a discus breeder it is easier to move the fry. Moving the parents might slow down their next spawning attempt.

In my opinion:
Small < 60
large > 150

-john

Northwoods Discus
04-22-2010, 01:58 PM
Thank you Martha and John for responding to my question. Right now I am enjoying the show. I am gearing up slowly and do plan to try to breed some. I acquired some excellent quality fish from Lucky Tropical Lawrence Soon and Kevin. I plan to concentrate on those in the future.
Bill

mmorris
04-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Hey martha.

what do you consider small? and large?

sm = 20-40?

lg 50 +

Yes

allan_mark76
04-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Move the fry NOT the parents. Also use furan green instead of meth. blue so it won't stain your tank.

~AKA~