PDA

View Full Version : Help me prepare...

chhabi19
04-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Hi,

I lost a discus few days back. I have 2 left and intend to buy 4 more. Please help me prepare against future diseases. I am looking for medications and other stuff I should have handy. Here is what I have so far:

-New 10 Gallon QT tank, filter and heater
-Salt

What other items do I need? Do they expire? Where do I get the best prices? How much do I need?

Thanks.

Eddie
04-23-2010, 07:30 PM
I prefer a 30 gallon or larger for a quarantine tank. A 10 is better for a treatment tank but even then, a 20 is better.

How did you lose the discus, what symptoms? Did you get them from the LFS or a poor source?

Eddie

chhabi19
04-23-2010, 08:02 PM
I bought 2 discus from LFS and 1 from SD member. The one that died was from LFS.

4-5 days earlier to death, it was occasionally swimming fast in circles uprooting plants and causing a havoc. Around the same time, I had introduced pressurized CO2. I thought it was reacting badly to it. I lowered the CO2 rate, changed some water and added a little salt. It didn't help. I didn't see any spots or discoloration in its body at that point. It was dark most of the time.

The day it died; it started diving into substrate hitting it's mouth, hitting walls, swimming downwards, swimming in circles and doing all weird stuff. Nothing visible on skin. I researched and found 2 possible causes:
1)Whirly Disease
2)External/Internal Parasite

I visited local pet stores, got a new tank to treat and bought fizz tabs by Jungle (praziquantel). When I got home, it was dead. I did notice a small discolored patch. Not sure if it was bodily reaction to something or the fish scraped that part during panic.

Rest of the discus and other fish look okay. To avoid such future incidents, I want to be prepared with basic medications that I can use to "deworm", quarantine etc. I've been reading the forum, but there are so many different diseases, medications (pure ones, ones mixed with something else), QT methods and so on. My head started spinning.

Any advice on basic stuff, qty and places to get them would be greatly appreciated. When time comes (to QT or treat), I am ready....Not giving up....:)

Eddie
04-23-2010, 08:08 PM
The best way to prepare yourself, is to start with quality stock. Pick up some quality fish from one the Simply Sponsors. The extra money you plan on spending on unnecessary medications, can be used for shipping costs.

Eddie

chhabi19
04-23-2010, 09:04 PM
I will definitely do that.

The best way to prepare yourself, is to start with quality stock. Pick up some quality fish from one the Simply Sponsors. The extra money you plan on spending on unnecessary medications, can be used for shipping costs.

Eddie

But, what are basic items I need in stock to at least "deworm" and QT new ones that I intend to buy? I do not want to spend twice @ LFS. For example, $2.99 online for Jungle Fizz Tabs (that I talked about) vs. $5.99 for same thing @ LFS.

Eddie
04-23-2010, 09:12 PM
A good source for medications, with unbeatable prices and lightning fast shipping is 4fishstuff.com.

Just to advise, I do stock on meds since I live in Japan but IMO, you don't need anything stocked as you can readily get chemicals/antibiotics from any LFS.

Eddie