PDA

View Full Version : Fin Rot

meliss
04-24-2010, 11:38 AM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started
A few weeks ago. Fins are rotting, slowly getting worse

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

No other symptons. Fish eating normally, swimming, etc.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

Tried adding melafix 1 tsp per gallon for last 4 days

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

approx 50 gallons, 2 discus, both about 7 years old. second discus showing no signs of problems

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

tank running in same set up 3+ years, gravel bottom, water change 40% weekly.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp 84 degrees

- ph about 6.4

- ammonia reading my test kit reads it as "Safe" 0 ppm

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading less than 20ppm

- well water no

- municipal water x

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

no

Photo attached. Advice? Thanks!

nc0gnet0
04-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Fin rot is bacterial. Plenty of clean water (up the water changes) and a good anti-biotic used for gram negative infections. A salt dip might also help prior to treating with anti-biotics. Are you sure this is fin rot and not a sign of aggression from the other fish or both)?

Not a big fan of melafix (a huge understatement) many a fish has been lost to this medication, not becaue it will do harm to the fish itself, but, it is wasted time when another better medication could have been used. There are also cases where the melafix itself can actually serve as a food for the bacteria (its organic) and make the problem worse.

Fin rot is usually one of the easier cures if caught soon enough, but left unchecked/treated it can lead to death.

meliss
04-24-2010, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'm not positive its fin rot, just an obvious guess. I originaly thought it might be damage from the other fish or the tank, but it is slowly getting worse over time - areas of damage slowly expanding. So, now I'm thinking it isn't damage from the other fish or tank.

So, I guess I'm looking for ideas on the best treatment to start. I will definitely increase water changes.
- Is it safe enough to try an anti-biotic right away? Is there a brand name product to look for at the fish store for gram-neg bacteria?
- And, should I discontinue melafix or just use it in addition to an antibiotic.

- Also, should I increase the tank temp? Its 84 now (as always).

Tisch
05-26-2010, 07:08 AM
Hi,

I have same problem with two of my discus. I will try with JBL ektol fluid
http://www.jbl.de/onlinehospitaluk/perquestion/index.php?ParentID=|1|1a|1ab|1abb

Meliss, any update from you ?