PDA

View Full Version : Keeping different size discus together

neon
04-24-2010, 09:25 PM
Well I have 55gal planted tank with 2 rams, 5 discus which are all 4" , 1 pleco. Any way I was at the lfs and saw tank with 4 discus about 5-6". And would like one of them would it be ok with my discus that I already have? This will give me a total of 6 discus. :fish:

I bought all my discus from the LFS and the owner of the store been a big help along the way. He said that to do well with discus the temperature of 86 and lots of water changes.

Eddie
04-24-2010, 09:43 PM
Its a risk (LFS), definitely quarantine the new fish. Also, adding the one fish to an already established tank may cause some bickering but should smooth out.

I would suggest you divide the quarantine tank when the QT period (4 weeks) is over and add only 1 of your existing fish to the QT tank. The reason for the divider is because the new fish is larger and will have taken over the QT tank. Adding a smaller fish to "HIS" house will definitely create some tension. Keep them 2 together for 2 additional weeks and if nothing arises, you can add them both to the planted tank.

Eddie

LizStreithorst
04-24-2010, 09:44 PM
Not unless you are prepared to quarantine the new one for several weeks and introduce the sacrificial lamb. You are doing well with what you have. Why chance introducing a LFS Discus?

Eddie
04-24-2010, 09:47 PM
Not unless you are prepared to quarantine the new one for several weeks and introduce the sacrificial lamb. You are doing well with what you have. Why chance introducing a LFS Discus?

Great minds think alike....:D