PDA

View Full Version : How many Discus can I keep?

Coral Keeper
04-26-2010, 10:42 PM
How many Discus can I comfortably keep in a 90 gallon planted? Dimensions are: 48" long x 18" wide x 24" high

Thanks in advance!!

John_Nicholson
04-27-2010, 08:46 AM
How much water do you change? What kind of filtration do you use? What other fish are in the tank?

-john

korbi_doc
04-27-2010, 09:42 AM
I have a 90g barebottom tank with 10 adult discus from Hans, a bunch of cardinals, 2 Bns, & 2 pcs of driftwoon....the filter is lg AC, lg sponge filter & I'm adding a rocket filter from Joe Gargas...W/C is 50% every 48hrs when I can, (sometimes 3rd day)...planning plants for the DW...so far everyone is happy & eating well, even had eggs this week....

As John asked, what is your set-up??

Dottie

Coral Keeper
04-27-2010, 11:25 AM
Well, I don't have any set up YET. But, hopefully, if all goes well, I'll be setting up a 90 gallon tank. I'm not new to fish keeping or planted tanks, just new to Discus. I do currently have a reef tank if that counts for anything. Well, my plan was to make the tank med-heavily planted, maybe a little bit of drift wood. For stock list, I was thinking of this stock list?
2 x 2.5" Brilliant Turquoise
2 x 2.5" Blue / Cobalt
2 x 2.5" Red Pigeon Blood
(6 Discus total)(Also, I know bigger Discus is better, but they are just soooo expensive at 4". I was thinking about getting the Discus from: http://www.discus-hans-usa.com/ )
A school of Cardinals(was thinking about 50 neons, but found out they slowly die off at Discus temperatures)
A school of 30 Leopard Cories(do cories do good at Discus temperatures?)

I was thinking about doing 15% water changes daily, which is 13.5 gallons. I was thinking about using RO water for water changes? I already have a RO/DI unit, so its all good. Lighting will be 2 or maybe 3 x 54 watt T5HO with good individual reflectors. Substrate will be 50 lb of either eco complete or ADA aquasoil and another 50 lb of substrate that will be just regular either brown or black substrate. Was thinking about putting a Pressurized CO2 system? For filtration, there will be a 30 breeder sump. Was thinking about filling it up with Lava Rock? Or are bioballs better? Also, I was thinking about stocking the Cardinals/Cories first, make sure the tank is going good, then get the Discus last? LMK what everyone thinks of this plan. Thanks in advance!!

Coral Keeper
04-27-2010, 11:31 AM
Also, for food, I was thinking about using Freeze Dried Black Worms from: http://blackworms.com.au/TA/ as I've heard great reviews from them and possibly beef heart? Do you just get beef heart from the store and put it through a meat grinder and feed to fish?

Harriett
04-27-2010, 01:42 PM

fishorama
04-27-2010, 03:40 PM
Now I love bottom feeders but 30 corys sound like an awful lot! Maybe 12 or so? You can always add more. Discus pick at the bottom too.

Also both julii & the easily confused trilineatus like cooler temps. Sterbai corys are similar & a better temp match. There are a few other too.

I'd suggest going bare bottom to grow out smaller discus, then add substrate, plants & quarantined tankmates. I have a couple potted plants in BB & it's much easier to clean, I had sand for a couple weeks. With juveniles you'll be cleaning a lot, more than my 8 other tanks combined LOL Check out Chad Hughes contest thread, he's growing out juvies in a planted tank but his filtration is way beyond me.

Also dark substrate may discus darken & pigeon bloods pepper from all I've read though I do like Eco in other tanks. I use pool filter sand in several tanks, low tech, plants & root tabs.

Coral Keeper
04-27-2010, 07:37 PM
Oh, ok. I guess I'll go with about 15 cories. Also, is 3" Discus still considered juvenile?

Coral Keeper
04-27-2010, 07:43 PM
Check out Chad Hughes contest thread, he's growing out juvies in a planted tank but his filtration is way beyond me.

Can you link the thread please?

Apistomaster
04-27-2010, 08:02 PM
A 3 inch Discus is still considered a juvenile but it is an ideal size to buy. At 3 inches they have become very hardy and will reach 4 inches within 6 weeks so it pays to go with that size.
I recommend not going with 10 Discus in a 90 gal tank but would go with 8. That allows each fish more space and makes it possible to keep them in excellent shape by just changing about 2/3 the tank volume every 3 or 4 days. More experienced keepers can get away from the less liberal guide lines because of the ways they have learned to compensate for over crowding.

I strongly recommend you buy only one color variety or most two which are similar like Brilliant Turquoise and Red turquoise. That way should you breed your fish then you will be raising a fish which will be well received compared to mongrels and your display will also look much nicer.

Coral Keeper
04-27-2010, 08:10 PM
Oh, ok. Also, I don't want to go with 10. IMO, 10 full grown Discus will look cramped in a 90 gallon tank. I don't like tanks that are cramped with a bunch of large fish. So, would it be better to get 6 or 8? Because if I go with 2 different kinds, there will be 3 of each kind if I go with 6 and 4 of each kind of I go with 8. Is it better to go with odd or even numbers when mixing different kinds?

mutfish
04-27-2010, 08:58 PM
This is about the limit...

Coral Keeper
04-27-2010, 09:18 PM
This is about the limit...

Wow, those poor Discus! :(

mutfish
04-27-2010, 09:52 PM
If the water is maintained they don't seem to mind. Here's a 75 of mine, the occupants were waiting for their new owners. Never a problem.

John_Nicholson
04-27-2010, 10:07 PM
Wow, those poor Discus! :(

As long as the water is changed and they are fed they are fine.

-john

dapostle
04-28-2010, 04:14 AM
Oh, ok. Also, I don't want to go with 10. IMO, 10 full grown Discus will look cramped in a 90 gallon tank. I don't like tanks that are cramped with a bunch of large fish. So, would it be better to get 6 or 8? Because if I go with 2 different kinds, there will be 3 of each kind if I go with 6 and 4 of each kind of I go with 8. Is it better to go with odd or even numbers when mixing different kinds?

I believe that you should stick to your original thought of 6, as they grow they require more water per fish, and growth will be restricted in a smaller tank. My own tank (display) is a 680ltr 6x2x2 (also have 2 more 6ft and two 4x2 for breeding), or in your measurements 180 gallon approx (150gal imp), gee it gets cofusing, and I keep around 13-15 adults, depending on whats breeding and movement to breeding tanks. I run two eheims canister (2215, 2217) and an undergravel filter, two canisters for eaiser staggered cleaning. Most of the time there are 13 in there. A 4ft tank of your measurements is a good tank for a grow out but I reckon to small for keeping any adult discus, minimum for 6 4x2x2, but there you go....I am in australia and tanks are bigger here, LOL....

John_Nicholson
04-28-2010, 09:05 AM
6 would be a good number. I would not use R/O. You only need that if you are trying to breed them.

-john

fishorama
04-28-2010, 09:40 AM
Here's Chad's contest thread http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?f=170 I see they're not in a plant tank any more but lots of reading for you:D

Apistomaster
04-28-2010, 10:37 AM
Oh, ok. I guess I'll go with about 15 cories. Also, is 3" Discus still considered juvenile?

I recommend using fewer of the smaller Hypancistrus or Peckoltia spp instead of Corydoras. They make excellent bottom cleaners, eat the same foods as Discus and prefer the same warm water temperatures.
I raise two species which are both very attractive, Leopard Frog Peckoltia and Hypancistrus L333. Another couple of good species which remain less than 4 inches are the black with white spots Hypancistrus L201 and Hypancistrus sp L129 which only gets about 3 inches. Both of these latter 2 species are easy to find and don't cost a lot. These small carnivorous plecos do a good job of cleaning up beef heart scraps and any other discus foods and are more interesting to watch than Corydoras. 6 of any one of these species will do as much good as 18 Corydoras and since they are primarily carnivorous they will not harm any plants. You should include a couple common Bushy Noses as your algae eaters.
I quit keeping Corydoras in with my Discus about 5 years ago and have never regretted doing so.

Coral Keeper
04-28-2010, 12:52 PM
I believe that you should stick to your original thought of 6, as they grow they require more water per fish, and growth will be restricted in a smaller tank. My own tank (display) is a 680ltr 6x2x2 (also have 2 more 6ft and two 4x2 for breeding), or in your measurements 180 gallon approx (150gal imp), gee it gets cofusing, and I keep around 13-15 adults, depending on whats breeding and movement to breeding tanks. I run two eheims canister (2215, 2217) and an undergravel filter, two canisters for eaiser staggered cleaning. Most of the time there are 13 in there. A 4ft tank of your measurements is a good tank for a grow out but I reckon to small for keeping any adult discus, minimum for 6 4x2x2, but there you go....I am in australia and tanks are bigger here, LOL....

Oh, ok. I'll stick with 6. Also, you said the minimum size tank for 6 Adult Discus is a 4x2x2 tank? Well, my tank will be 4'x1.5'x2' lol

Coral Keeper
04-28-2010, 12:53 PM
I recommend using fewer of the smaller Hypancistrus or Peckoltia spp instead of Corydoras. They make excellent bottom cleaners, eat the same foods as Discus and prefer the same warm water temperatures.
I raise two species which are both very attractive, Leopard Frog Peckoltia and Hypancistrus L333. Another couple of good species which remain less than 4 inches are the black with white spots Hypancistrus L201 and Hypancistrus sp L129 which only gets about 3 inches. Both of these latter 2 species are easy to find and don't cost a lot. These small carnivorous plecos do a good job of cleaning up beef heart scraps and any other discus foods and are more interesting to watch than Corydoras. 6 of any one of these species will do as much good as 18 Corydoras and since they are primarily carnivorous they will not harm any plants. You should include a couple common Bushy Noses as your algae eaters.
I quit keeping Corydoras in with my Discus about 5 years ago and have never regretted doing so.

Oh, ok. I guess I'll go with what you mentioned. :)

Coral Keeper
04-29-2010, 01:01 AM
How long would it take for a 3 inch Brilliant Turquoise Discus to grow to 6-7"/full grown? That is if it is fed 4 times a day with a beef heart recipe and the water quality is kept up?

Apistomaster
04-30-2010, 01:09 PM
Growth rates are greatly influenced by what young discus experienced in their first weeks and months of life. It is impossible to know exactly how well and fast your specimen(s) will grow but if they have had optimum care all their life they can reach 6 to 7 inches in 15 months.

Coral Keeper
04-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Growth rates are greatly influenced by what young discus experienced in their first weeks and months of life. It is impossible to know exactly how well and fast your specimen(s) will grow but if they have had optimum care all their life they can reach 6 to 7 inches in 15 months.

Oh, ok.

mjs020294
04-30-2010, 11:34 PM
I'm adding a rocket filter from Joe Gargas

I didn't know Joe sold hardware. I'll have to catch up with him at the next fish meet.

babakaty
04-30-2010, 11:58 PM
I have a 90 also with eight 4"-5" discus, about 15 or so tetras, 2 BN's and a few oto's. Oh yeah, and one lonely Bolivian ram. Filtered with 2 Eheim 2217's and 2 sponge filters. I have one big piece of driftwood with java fern and anubias tied to it and some swords and crypts in pots. I tried adding the discus to the tank when it was fully planted, but it became a nightmare to keep clean (read: impossible) with the amount of food that growing discus eat: I feed 4-5 times/day until they're full. I pulled out the substrate (large PITA BTW) and potted the plants. Much easier to maintain. I suggest you start bare-bottom and work into it slowly. In fact, I find the slower I go, the easier it is on me and the fish. The other thing I would say is that if there is any "shortcut" to doing discus right, it's to read this forum top to bottom and front to back. Look for the guys with the most posts, they've paid their dues. They don't all do it the same, but what they do works. It'll save you a boatload of grief, sick fish, dead fish, electricity, chemicals, water on the floor, mad wife, etc., etc. (oh, and money too) in the long run! Good luck - it's worth it!

Peter