PDA

View Full Version : Possible set up questions.

Aquatic Reef Creations
04-27-2010, 10:25 PM
After giving it some thought and having received some great information from another post here, I have a tentative plan for my discus tank. Please chime in and tell me what you think.
120 (4x2x2)gallon acrylic reef ready tank with a single center overflow with a 2" drain. 2 1" return lines, one in each corner. The display tank will be ran barebottom. I still am debating on which lighting scheme to go with but that I will figure out. In the display tank I will have 2 sponge filters, some driftwood pieces(I am planning on attaching some plants to the driftwood) and the fish.
The sump I am planning will be 36"x18"x18" (approximately 50 gallons). The sump will have a filter sock for mechanical filtration. I am planning on using part of the sump for a planted area. My thoughts on this is that the planted area in the sump will aid in maintaining stability and have the added filtration. I will light the planted area opposite what the display tank will be in hopes to not have the pH swings at night. I will also house my heaters down here. I would like to have 4x turnover of water volume, is that sufficient?
I am planning on having 6-8 discus and maybe a few dither fish and a clean up crew.
Please tell me what you think. Thanks