PDA

View Full Version : Why does a planted tank have more problems with algae?

Kingfisher
04-29-2010, 11:45 AM
Hello

I was just curious on why a planted tank will have more problems with algae than a regular discus only tank? Shouldn't it be the opposite since you now have a whole bunch of plants that will use up the nitrate? Also, will a UV light help? Thanks in advance for the input.

yikesjason
04-29-2010, 11:55 AM
In a planted tank, you are providing generally good growing conditions for both plants and algae. More light and more nutrients are available than there normally are in a discus only tank. The balancing act is finding a spot where conditions are best for plants but not algae.

A UV sterilizer is only going to kill what goes through it. Most algae are not floating in the water, they are attached to something in the tank. So generally, UV isn't going to do much to algae other than to green water.

Double Up
04-29-2010, 12:07 PM
I think Jason hit the nail on the head. Also,one thing that helps cut back on algae is avoiding natural sunlight. I moved my planted tank out of the light and algae is no longer a problem.

Kingfisher
04-29-2010, 03:29 PM
thanks for the input

Frankr409
04-29-2010, 08:44 PM
Plant growers would be well advised to investigate the Siesta method.

Algae is not as biologically advanced an organism when compared to plants. Plants can ramp the photosysnthesis process up or down very rapidly. Algae, however cannot.

The Siesta method is simple. Using a simple timer, set your tank to receive 5 hours of light, followed by three hours without overhead light, followed by 5 hours with light.

My system is modified a bit further so that I begin and end the day with a seperate lighting system that provides one half hour of greatly reduced light before and after the main lights go on and off.

The book I read suggests that since Algae requires stable, and not interrupted light source, that the 3 hour siesta can not only reduce further algae growth, but it can also cause existing algae die off.

Essentially you are fighting the enemy where it is weak. It's light requirements.

While lighting is not the only source of algae problems, for those of you who have eliminated other water conditions as the culprit, I think this is worthy of a try.

yikesjason
04-29-2010, 09:09 PM
I have read about that and used to to it. But now my plant load and co2 with ei dosing allow full time light with minimal algae.

Frankr409
04-29-2010, 09:14 PM
I have read about that and used to to it. But now my plant load and co2 with ei dosing allow full time light with minimal algae.

It sounds like you have your ducks in a row. IMHO though there are many factors that contribute, phosphates should be watched carefully.

waters10
04-29-2010, 09:18 PM
Plant growers would be well advise to investigate the Siesta method.

Algae is not as biologically advanced an organism when compared to plants. Plants can ramp the photosysnthesis process up or down very rapidly. Algae, however cannot.

The Siesta method is simple. Using a simple timer, set your tank to receive 5 hours of light, followed by three hours without overhead light, followed by 5 hours with light.

My system is modified a bit further so that I begin and end the day with a seperate lighting system that provides one half hour of greatly reduced light before and after the main lights go on and off.

The book I read suggests that since Algae requires stable, and not interrupted light source, that the 3 hour siesta can not only reduce further algae growth, but it can also cause existing algae die off.

Essentially you are fighting the enemy where it is weak. It's light requirements.

While lighting is not the only source of algae problems, for those of you who have eliminated other water conditions as the culprit, I think this is worthy of a try.
I've heard about this before. How does this work with pressurized CO2? Do you turn it off during siesta as well? I was planning to use one timer for lights and my CO2 system, so it would go off. I just don't know if during the 3h siesta, the CO2 concentration would go down too much and take too long to get to the right levels after it starts again. What do you think?

Frankr409
04-29-2010, 09:33 PM
I've heard about this before. How does this work with pressurized CO2? Do you turn it off during siesta as well? I was planning to use one timer for lights and my CO2 system, so it would go off. I just don't know if during the 3h siesta, the CO2 concentration would go down too much and take too long to get to the right levels after it starts again. What do you think?

Just my opinion, but I would leave the co2 on (hopefully connected to a ph meter) during the day. Off at night as it does no good. This method assumes that there is not another substantial source of light during the day that would otherwise provide for the algae.

Mine is connected to the PH meter and only runs during the day when it needs to anyways. I'm pretty sure that the 3 hours would not make a huge difference in co2 either way.

waters10
04-29-2010, 09:38 PM
Just my opinion, but I would leave the co2 on (hopefully connected to a ph meter) during the day. Off at night as it does no good. This method assumes that there is not another substantial source of light during the day that would otherwise provide for the algae.

Mine is connected to the PH meter and only runs during the day when it needs to anyways. I'm pretty sure that the 3 hours would not make a huge difference in co2 either way.
True.

Do you think it would be ok to have the siesta more than 3h? I was thinking more like 5-6h siesta. :D

Frankr409
04-29-2010, 09:46 PM
True.

Do you think it would be ok to have the siesta more than 3h? I was thinking more like 5-6h siesta. :D

My guess is that the plants would be fine. They have a simple requirement of x number of hours of light per day to achieve proper conversion of elements into food. They do not need to be fully contiguous.

Like anything though, try three, then four, then cinco, etc...

Kingfisher
04-30-2010, 12:35 PM
Plant growers would be well advised to investigate the Siesta method.

So I did a quick search on the internet about the "Siesta Lighting Method." It directed me to this sight: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53703
Those forum members that tried this method stated that there is no improvement or it all out fails. Does anyone from this forum have any experience with this lighting method?

Frankr409
04-30-2010, 12:56 PM
So I did a quick search on the internet about the "Siesta Lighting Method." It directed me to this sight: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53703
Those forum members that tried this method stated that there is no improvement or it all out fails. Does anyone from this forum have any experience with this lighting method?

I know that I have tried it in the past (5 years ago) and it is not conclusive to me if it works or not in the aquarium environment.

In theory it should work, because what has been written about algae is true, it does require sustained light, and plants can more readily start and end their photosynthesis process. I would research over at the Krib...They are the plant experts.