PDA

View Full Version : Charcoal

RJR
04-29-2010, 11:48 AM
I have heard mixed reviews about using Charcoal in Discus tanks. What is the concensus. Is it harmful to use Charcoal in a Discus tank? The Charcoal does keep the water crystal clear and does help filter impurties. Any opinions on the use of Charcoal in Discus tanks? Thanks

Dan
04-29-2010, 11:55 AM
some believe it removes trace elements from the water, that are beneficial to discus. my father kept discus for 10 years and used carbon with no problems..

Double Up
04-29-2010, 12:03 PM
I have heard mixed reviews about using Charcoal in Discus tanks. What is the concensus. Is it harmful to use Charcoal in a Discus tank? The Charcoal does keep the water crystal clear and does help filter impurties. Any opinions on the use of Charcoal in Discus tanks? Thanks

I am very curious about this as well. I currently run a fluval 405 on a 55 gal with all trays filled with bio rings. I was thinking about using carbon in the top tray. When I had the tank set up as a nondiscus tank I filled the top 2 out of 4 trays with a-carbon and the water was always perfect!!!

Spardas
04-29-2010, 12:11 PM
I don't use charcoal in any of my discus tanks due to my water change schedule.

I filter my tap water with charcoal and then it's stored into the aging barrel. Since the tank will be getting fresh water daily, there's really no need to run carbon in it. I only use carbon to remove medicine. I don't use it for my reef setup or any other tanks.

More money to spend on fishes instead of extra "stuff".

lkc
04-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Charcoal/Carbon is not dangerous. Use it as you will. However, it is especially effective or is that affective? at taking medications out of the water after you're done medicating.

AirCapital
04-29-2010, 12:46 PM
only bad thing with carbon is it once it loses it charge everything it soaked up, gets reliesed back into the tank, starting you at square one. as long as it is replaced often you should be ok.

Darrell Ward
04-29-2010, 04:23 PM
There are many myths about carbon and discus. Bottom line, if you are keeping up with tank maintenance and water changes, there is no reason to use it or any other such media.