PDA

View Full Version : Treating Fish or Entire Tank?

Blue Ram
04-29-2010, 03:08 PM
I am trying to make a decision and need some opinions
I have a 90 gal with 5 adult discus. One large discus which I've had for 3 years has started over the last several weeks to head stand - not totally vertical but definitely pointing down - swims ok and is eating ok - has a lot of flesh on him but is not eating as vigorous as in the past. No abnormal feces and no other discus showing the same symptoms. From some research I've done it could be an internal bacterial infection which could be treated with antibotics. I'd like to treat the fish while still in the 90 gal because I think moving it into a quarantine tank will cause a lot of stress. How detrimental would it be to the other fish to be exposed to antibotics (say for a 5 day treatment) if they are healthy? I am going to use kanamycin.

Blue Ram
04-29-2010, 05:32 PM
I just finished reading the post by "fishball" started on Apr 26th. Very very similar to my situation although my discus is only slightly head standing but has been for several weeks. Not as much poo as "fishball"s fish. But what is interesting is my discus also has a protrending lump on his side that looks almost the same as in the other post.

Eddie
04-29-2010, 07:26 PM
Most antibiotics will nuke your bio filtration. I highly recommend using antibiotics in a hospital/treatment tank. Before you treat this fish, is it bloated at all?

Blue Ram
05-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Do not believe it is bloat. I have moved him into a 15 gal hospital tank today and added epsom salt and kanamycin. If the fish is still willing to eat is it ok while treating with antibotics? I should think so.

LizStreithorst
05-02-2010, 05:25 PM
I think that your are treating correctly.

Blue Ram
05-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Well my guy has had five days of antibotics and epsom salts. He ate in the quarantine tank right from the start (live black worms, flake and tetra bits). No white poop - head is only slightly pointing down. I plan to move him back into the main tank at the end of the weekend.

Eddie
05-07-2010, 06:57 PM
Well my guy has had five days of antibotics and epsom salts. He ate in the quarantine tank right from the start (live black worms, flake and tetra bits). No white poop - head is only slightly pointing down. I plan to move him back into the main tank at the end of the weekend.

Sounds good! Fingers crossed! Keep the Kanamycin going for 10 days. ;)

All the best,

Eddie