PDA

View Full Version : Bleach?

jball1125
04-29-2010, 07:44 PM
Prime is used to eliminate chlorine from the water, however can it also eliminate bleach? Growing up in a hispnic home we always called both chemicals the same name ,so until recentley I thought they were the same. :o

I fear that I might be harming my fish as I have been using bleach instead of chlorine to disinfect WC equipment and then throwing it in a bucket with prime to kill the "Chlorine"

Ed13
04-29-2010, 08:03 PM
Prime is used to eliminate chlorine from the water, however can it also eliminate bleach? Growing up in a hispnic home we always called both chemicals the same name ,so until recentley I thought they were the same. :o

I fear that I might be harming my fish as I have been using bleach instead of chlorine to disinfect WC equipment and then throwing it in a bucket with prime to kill the "Chlorine"
Sodium thiosulfate, the primary ingredient in most de-chlor agents, neutralizes bleach(sodium hypochlorite).

What's the main ingredient in Prime though? Wouldn't worry too much as many municipalities are using sodium hypoclorite to didsinfect water supplies Seachem would probably take that into consideration.

Anyways the by-product of Bleach is salt, so you can always let it evaporate and it'll be safe.

jball1125
04-29-2010, 08:30 PM
Ok I feel some:what better. Thans for the info! :D

nc0gnet0
04-30-2010, 12:11 AM
Prime neutralizes bleach just fine. Seachem used to do a demo in which they would take a sealed bottle of bleach, add some prime, shake for a minute and dump into a tank filled with fresh water fish. Bleach is the best disinfectant for sterlizing fish equipment.

wesleydnunder
04-30-2010, 06:38 AM
Prime neutralizes bleach just fine. Seachem used to do a demo in which they would take a sealed bottle of bleach, add some prime, shake for a minute and dump into a tank filled with fresh water fish. Bleach is the best disinfectant for sterlizing fish equipment.

+1
When I had my tank maintenance business, I always disinfected my equipment with bleach. A little prime or sodium thiosulfate and a good rinse neutralized it just fine.

Mark

jball1125
04-30-2010, 07:02 AM
I figured it was working since the smell of bleach would leave instantly. Now I feel reasured though, thanks y'all....

Don Trinko
04-30-2010, 07:38 AM
I also use bleach to disinfect. I leave it in for several days and then do a WC. Then add some anti clor just to make sure. I have a clorine test kit that I got at Wallmart to confirm that there is no clorine. Most pool supply stores will have the clorine test kit. Don T.

fish4fun
05-22-2010, 01:10 PM

How do you guys sterilize your filter media?

Eddie
05-22-2010, 10:34 PM
Hoe do you guys sterilize your filter media?

Boil it

Ed13
05-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Hoe do you guys sterilize your filter media?
I'd buy new media if you need sterile.

fish4fun
05-23-2010, 01:05 AM
Boil it

how do you find a pot big enough to boil aquaclear 110 sponges...LOL

Can the sponges be bleached as well then rinsed then place in a bucket of freshwater and Prime to remove the chlorine/bleach????

I have a large order of new discus coming a couple of week and want to make sure ALL the tanks are free of anything from the previous tank inhabitants.

too many tanks to buy new media for.

Eddie
05-23-2010, 01:10 AM
how do you find a pot big enough to boil aquaclear 110 sponges...LOL

Can the sponges be bleached as well then rinsed then place in a bucket of freshwater and Prime to remove the chlorine/bleach????

I have a large order of new discus coming a couple of week and want to make sure ALL the tanks are free of anything from the previous tank inhabitants.

too many tanks to buy new media for.

Easy, large 60 quart pots. Wife uses them for crab legs so they already smell like fish! LMAO.....just kidding. I have my own pots for this purpose. ;)

Willie
05-23-2010, 06:55 AM
Hypochlorite, the active ingredient in bleach, can be completely eliminated by simple air drying. 20 min with 20% bleach will sterilize everything. Rinse it once and let it air dry. You're done.

Willie

fish4fun
05-26-2010, 11:41 AM
One more quick questions.

I bleached 2 of my systems and drained them 99% (can get the last dribble out...LOL)
what the safest way to get the tanks up and running?

I was thing of filling them up again and using prime at double strength.

Will this work to ensure all the bleach is out?

I dont have time to let the tanks completly evaporate as I am preping for a bunch of new fish in 2 weeks.

jball1125
05-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Yes that would work. I would use quadruple the normal dose just to be safe. :)

Willie
05-26-2010, 03:50 PM
or a hair dryer. :p