PDA

View Full Version : seeding sponge filters

grantbudd74
04-30-2010, 12:22 AM
Getting four double sponge filters next week for my breeding setup. Im going to run them in my main tank to seed them. Any idea how long it would take to get these ready for a tank size of 1.5ft x 18" x 15" with a pair in?

thanks

grant

Eddie
04-30-2010, 04:21 AM
I run mine for 4 weeks to ensure a good bacteria colony is established.

grantbudd74
04-30-2010, 06:41 AM
Thanks Eddie

mmorris
04-30-2010, 02:41 PM
You can only grow as much bacteria as there is waste for the bacteria to consume. The size of the tank has no bearing. Run them for a few weeks, but be sure to monitor your ammonia/nitrite when you place the sponges in the breeding tanks. The bacteria will likely need to 'catch up' to the bio-load from the pair. I would do what you are doing, Grant.

nc0gnet0
04-30-2010, 06:04 PM
Does anybody use this type of filter in a breeding tank?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aquarium-Efficient-Economy-Corner-Tank-Filters-/250623224694?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5a4eeb76

Functions like a sponge (powered by air) but you could use some of your medium from an established filter.

Eddie
04-30-2010, 06:35 PM
Does anybody use this type of filter in a breeding tank?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aquarium-Efficient-Economy-Corner-Tank-Filters-/250623224694?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5a4eeb76

Functions like a sponge (powered by air) but you could use some of your medium from an established filter.

Only problem with those, is being able to rinse/clean them daily.

mmorris
04-30-2010, 08:02 PM
I like the mechanical aspect of it (the floss) but for a breeding tank, I would go with a sponge filter or an adjustable-flow hob. You can attach a lady's nylon stocking over the intake of an hob so it wouldn't suck up fry.

nc0gnet0
04-30-2010, 10:03 PM
Only problem with those, is being able to rinse/clean them daily.

I don't think it would be much harder at all, but do you really rinse your sponge filters daily? Seems like you would be knocking back the Beneficial Bacteria.

I like the mechanical aspect of it (the floss) but for a breeding tank, I would go with a sponge filter or an adjustable-flow hob. You can attach a lady's nylon stocking over the intake of an hob so it wouldn't suck up fry.

I think a sponge would be best, but the one advantage of a filter such as this is in a bind all you need to do is remove some of the bio-material from a cycled canister, but in this thing and presto, instant cycled filter.

Eddie
04-30-2010, 10:30 PM
I don't think it would be much harder at all, but do you really rinse your sponge filters daily? Seems like you would be knocking back the Beneficial Bacteria.

LOL, you'll learn when you start raising fry. And no, rinsing and squeezing the filter in tank water doesn't affect the bio.

I gave my opinion, if you think it won't be difficult, try it, you'll see. ;)

grantbudd74
05-01-2010, 06:09 AM
Hey Eddie

So you just squeeze the sponge filter while its running? Just to clear a bit of gunk from it?

What size tanks do you use for the fry or fry and parents? You seam to spend much time here so no wonder your wife thinks you are having an affair with your fish :-)

Thanks

Grant

mmorris
05-01-2010, 12:20 PM
I keep sponges in my canister filters. When I want to clean the sponge I remove it and rinse it out, then re-assemble. I use a 29 gallon for fry and parents, then move the fry at three weeks or so.

Eddie
05-02-2010, 09:51 PM
Hey Eddie

So you just squeeze the sponge filter while its running? Just to clear a bit of gunk from it?

What size tanks do you use for the fry or fry and parents? You seam to spend much time here so no wonder your wife thinks you are having an affair with your fish :-)

Thanks

Grant

LOL, yeah....,.an affair of some sort I guess. :D

My pairs and fry are in 29s or 20s.

I actually remove the sponge from the tank. I drain all my fry tanks into large tubs, just in case I suck out any fry. I squeeze and rinse the sponge filter in this tub and then return it to the tank. ;)

Eddie

grantbudd74
05-03-2010, 04:26 AM
Ah ok thats good.

Mmorris so would I be right in taking out the filter baskets from a canister filter and dumping the sponges in the bottom for a a few hours or days? How long do you run them in for?

Would a filter be seeded after a few hours siting in the base of a canister filter?

thanks

grant

mmorris
05-03-2010, 09:52 AM
I don't know how long it takes to seed a sponge. I would give it a couple of weeks, but I'm not sure.