PDA

View Full Version : Sterilization?

chaoslite
04-30-2010, 05:53 PM
Hey guys,

What is a good way to sterilize a tank? I believe it was used as a sump tank and I want to make sure it is nice and clean before adding water and a cycled filter.

Thanks,
Mishka

Eddie
04-30-2010, 06:55 PM
Bleach/water solution, heard 1 part bleach/10 parts water is sufficient. I use a little more bleach but rinse extremely well and allow the tank to air dry and rinse more until there is no more bleach smell.

Eddie

chaoslite
04-30-2010, 07:52 PM
Thanks Eddie!:)

simpson1922
04-30-2010, 09:52 PM
i would do the bleach wash and rinse then wash with vinger water and rinse with warm water it will netralize the bleach. the fill with water and you a good to good. that is how i clean my decor every month or so and have never had a problem in 5+yrs

Ed13
04-30-2010, 11:20 PM
i would do the bleach wash and rinse then wash with vinger water and rinse with warm water it will netralize the bleach. the fill with water and you a good to good. that is how i clean my decor every month or so and have never had a problem in 5+yrsGotta be careful with this. I mean no disrespect, but, this isn't a great adive to post on a forum as this, even though it sounds like you understand it, it's just too hazzardous. Adding enough of an acid like vinegar to sodium hypochlorite will create chlorine gas. Very dangerous to your eyes, throat and lungs and enough can be deadly.

Though, I will admit to have used vinegar to neutralize bleach in the same manner you are describing, adding the vinegar after the bleach was rinsed with water. I just would not be comfortable telling anyone to do this.

fish4fun
04-30-2010, 11:24 PM
what abouot PP?

Eddie
05-01-2010, 12:17 AM
what abouot PP?

You can use PP also. I use Rubbing Alcohol in a spray bottle more often than any other method since all my tanks are BB. ;)

Eddie

nc0gnet0
05-01-2010, 10:34 AM
You can also use a large dose of hydrogen peroxide, or a really good wipe down with it. The one advantage here is that it vaporizes quickly and doesn't leave any toxic elements that you have to worry about neutralizing. But, bleach is still my prefered method, bleach heavy, rinse, fill with water, add prime, empty and your good to go.

wesleydnunder
05-02-2010, 11:32 AM
You can also use a large dose of hydrogen peroxide, or a really good wipe down with it. The one advantage here is that it vaporizes quickly and doesn't leave any toxic elements that you have to worry about neutralizing. But, bleach is still my prefered method, bleach heavy, rinse, fill with water, add prime, empty and your good to go.

+1

Mark