PDA

View Full Version : Do atinic light bulbs have affect on watts/gallon?

Kingfisher
04-30-2010, 07:56 PM
Hello again

Do atinic lights have any affect on the watts/gallon when it comes to planted tanks? Im in the process of setting up a low tech planted tank so the light is going to be off for most of the day. I would like to leave the atinics on when the halides are off. Thanks for the input.

Wahter
04-30-2010, 11:34 PM
Here's a discussion about actinic lighting for planted tanks:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/equipment/29562-actinic-lights.html

Walter

pcsb23
05-01-2010, 06:09 AM
The short answer is "No".

Whilst many will say they are no use in a planted tank they do add a nice effect. I used to have a reef tank and that had actinics on, converted this to a planted tank and it worked and looked great with one actinic left in. I also had far less algae problems in this tank than any other but never had enough time (or money!) to test the theory, there was also too many variables.

Kingfisher
05-01-2010, 10:13 AM
So actinic light does not appear to affect plants but what about algae? Does anyone have a 10 gallon tank and a actinic bulb laying around? What will happen if we set this tank up (without plants of course) away from the window with just the actinic on for 12 hrs a day. Probably also need to throw in some ferts. Anybody have some extra time and equipment on their hands?