PDA

View Full Version : Should I treat for parasites?

chaoslite
05-01-2010, 03:16 PM
I have had my discus for about 1 month. Today I saw my little blue clamp his fins swim fast and rub against an Anubis leaf. One last week I saw my other little one do the same thing. I have only seen it once from each of them. My two larger discus have been busy cleaning sword leaves and I have never seen them do it. Should I medicate? I have never wormed them.

Mishka

David Rose
05-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Hi Mishka,

Have you tested your water parameters (ammonia, nitrites, pH etc) to see if they are off to rule possible issues there?

All the best,
David

chaoslite
05-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Just did a water change this morning. Test look the same as they did on Wednesday night.

Ammonia 0
Nitrate 10
Nitrite 0
ph 7.6

They do not seem to be exhibiting any strange behavior except for those two times. They eat like little piglets.

Mishka

deepflyball
05-01-2010, 11:46 PM
Discus will rub from time to time,especialy after a water change. If your fish have clamped fins and or stay still with there heads down about 30-45% angle for a prolong period of time then i would be worried. But not if its a rum now and then. Jerry

chaoslite
05-01-2010, 11:54 PM
Thanks Jerry! I was about to us the number you gave me and give you a ring to fin d out what to do.:o

Mishka

deepflyball
05-02-2010, 12:07 AM
Any time your more than welcome. At least you will be able to sleep now. LOL Jerry

deepflyball
05-02-2010, 12:15 AM
Mishka I know your trying hard to do the right things to keep Discus. I think its 20 harder to have a planed tank. And you have that down,so i not worried about you and your discus. when you look at them every day you will know when somthing has changed. Good luck Jerry

chaoslite
05-02-2010, 12:35 AM
Thank for your faith in me Jerry. I have sterilized the 60g will probably do it again tomorrow and rinse it out every day for a week just to me sure, the filter media is seeding and still trying to get a cheap deal for a 29g QT tank. Next to soak a piece of wood so my little ones have a place to dive behind when I move them to their new BB tank. Thanks again for the help. Oh and you are right mmorris BD's are gorgeous. Wish I lived back east.

Mishka

chaoslite
05-02-2010, 12:38 AM
Excuse me Blue Sapphires.:D

deepflyball
05-02-2010, 01:02 AM
SO you seen Mrrthas blue sapphires. I just have to have a pair. I wll try and get 8-10 from her and grow them out

Jerry