PDA

View Full Version : Mag drive pumps

tcfish
05-01-2010, 11:47 PM
I would like to share my experience with mag drive pumps and some tips.I own a few of these pumps and have to say I love them, very good pumps but they do have a dark side if not properly maintained.I have to say that the Danner company has made some very good long term products for the aquarium industries.I still have some of those old noisy double piston pumps from 30 + years ago not in operation any more but they are still a reliable back up for my AP 50 from danner also. I could go on about Danner but will save it for another thread.
One night the power went off at around 900 pm it went out for like 30 seconds did not even make my clock mess up .Thought nothing of it went to work in morning it was a long day got home at 700 pm.My back 150 gallon tank that is in my enclosed porch which houses larger fish was a mess all fish floating and gasping for air,I have barrels set up for water changes and immediately started changing water .The mag drive 1200 did not kick back on after the power failure. NEVER had that happen before this pump has been running for about 10 years plus non stop.I tried like hell to bring back to life 3 red severums one I saved 2 I lost Had them since 1/2 inch, also I almost lost a 6 inch festivum. I was able to get him back to life here is a pic of the severums---
I also had a mag drive 5{running for at least 10 plus years} not come back on did not lose any fish on that tank .Cleaned the pumps checked them out could not figure what the problem was .Turned them on and off let them run awhile and after so many on and offs they would not come back on.This is not my first rodeo have dealt with many pumps and their issues, this baffled me brought a new impeller for the 1200 thinking the magnet was weak still did it after so many times on and off.
I saw a slight wobble in the hole on the front cover very slight but enough to bind the impeller from sarting back up here is a pic kinda hard to see but a lobe in the hole is enough to bind it up .Also on the mag 5 .
The solution is to periodically turn your mag drives around turn the front face in another position they are made to run side ways or horizontally or vertical seems that if they run for a LONG time in the same position they can develop a lobe in the face were the impeller goes.Which will cause them too bind up and not start back up.

tcfish
05-01-2010, 11:53 PM
Here is a pic of the face plate of the Mag Drive 1200

tcfish
05-02-2010, 12:14 AM
Just to make it a little clearer the vertical/horizontal ---just flip them around.