PDA

View Full Version : I have eggs.

chaoslite
05-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Here is my situation. ph is 7.6 can the eggs even hatch? I would like to save them if I can. I have a planted tank with 4 discus and a load of other fish. Two of them decided to leave me a present this morning. A batch of about 60 eggs. I am wondering if there is anything I can do to save them. I have a 10 gallon tank that is cycled for 8 types of tetras I can move them to my 40g if need be if someone thinks I can move the parents and eggs over to the 10g until for a day or two until I get a 29g. I also have a 60g that I just sterilized. I placed media for the 60g filter into my 40g filter on Friday night so it is definitely not seeded yet. Did a water change yesterday. I do have the bio wheel on my 40g that of course has good bacteria on it. Can anyone think of any way I might be able to save the eggs? If there is no way I guess we can try again when the 60g media is seeded.

Mishka

jball1125
05-02-2010, 12:58 PM
If it is indeed a confirmed pair. (Male and female with the male actually fertilizing) then you don't have to worry about that batch of eggs. You should have more soon.

I would get a 29 gallon get it nice and cycled and then move the pair. Till then just let the other fish enjoy some caviar. Also keep in mind that if you are successful at hatching out the eggs you will soon need another tank to put the fry in. So you should start cycling the 60 as well.

Have fun and patience. :D

chaoslite
05-02-2010, 01:10 PM
Ok since I did not see them do it, I do not know if they are a confirmed pair. They are both taking turns guarding over it and chasing off the other fish. Does that not mean anything? So little do I know about discus, but learning fast.:D

Mishka

jball1125
05-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Sometimes you will have to females doing all the things a normal pair would do. Until you can see that the eggs were actually fert you have no way of knowing. The eggs you have right now will probably get eaten, in that case watch them for signs that they are going to lay again and if your lucky enough to see them in action you will atleast be able to tell which one is a female because she will be laying eggs. That's not to say that they one not laying is a male but atleast it's a start

chaoslite
05-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Thanks everyone. How long do you think it will take for the discus to stop guarding the the eggs? I am afraid they will injure themselves chasing the other fish away from them.

Mishka

John_Nicholson
05-02-2010, 08:10 PM
First ph does not have moch to do with the eggs hatching. It is hardness that you need to worry about. 2nd don't worry about the fish. What you are seeing is nature. In nature animals fight. Very seldom do they hurt themselves enough to worry about.

Good luck.

-john

chaoslite
05-02-2010, 08:33 PM
The eggs are slowly turning white now. A few scratches on the discus so far rubbing against the wood and substrate chasing away fish, but most have disappeared. Hopefully I will be able to get them moved into their own bare bottom tank before this happens again.

Thanks for all the advice guys

Mishka

chaoslite
05-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Looks like I have two females. I have eggs AGAIN! And in less than a week

Mishka

chaoslite
05-06-2010, 01:31 PM
Sorry about the quality of the video, but can anyone tell if they are both female?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm-2D20x0Mc

Mishka

NunoDinis
05-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Give them some time, Even if they're a pair, it would take some time until the male fertilizes the eggs, and yes i have a pair that every single week by tuesday or wednesday, lay eggs.

And they all hatch, the problem is that my 29g is still cycling...

David Rose
05-06-2010, 03:47 PM
Even with a good video, it can be hard to tell the sex. My recommendation would be to leave them where they are and give them time to practice until the eggs make it to the wriggler stage and prove you have a pair; otherwise the time and effort in moving can be for nothing. ;)

Eddie
05-06-2010, 07:42 PM
Hard to tell from the video. A clear shot of the vent area would be helpful. Not a video but an actual side shot of the area where the tube is located.

Eddie

David Rose
05-07-2010, 08:12 AM
Agreed...definitely check the vent area. The female will have an extended white tube about 1/8".

chaoslite
05-08-2010, 01:32 AM
THEY DID IT!!!
THEY DID IT!!!
THEY DID IT!!!

And only on the second try!

That is right we have wrigglers!!

Mishka

Sorry for the bad camera but it is my cell phone and they did not spit them on an easy surface for me to get a good angle. I will try and post anther video later!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goUVMhVJegg

Eddie
05-08-2010, 01:52 AM
Congrats! Thats great! You will have to move them to a tank of their own now, if you do plan on raising fry.

All the best,

Eddie

chaoslite
05-08-2010, 02:09 AM
I would love too. I wish I could save these guys. My 60g will be up and running tomorrow and a friend is giving me a 20g tomorrow morning. Eddie you know way more than me but let me run this by you. I am doing a water change tomorrow on my 40g. If I took say 10g of the water and put it in the new 20g and capped if off with some at temp 84% RO water (which is what is in my 40g) added a heater and sponge filter and take the cycled filter the 40g and put it on the 20g could the fry live? Sounds confusing huh? If I bought a new filter for my 40g tomorrow morning could I put in on my already cycled 40g tank without having any horrible effects? Just a thought. Let me know what you think.:o

Mishka

Eddie
05-08-2010, 02:17 AM
I would love too. I wish I could save these guys. My 60g will be up and running tomorrow and a friend is giving me a 20g tomorrow morning. Eddie you know way more than me but let me run this by you. I am doing a water change tomorrow on my 40g. If I took say 10g of the water and put it in the new 20g and capped if off with some at temp 84% RO water (which is what is in my 40g) added a heater and sponge filter and take the cycled filter the 40g and put it on the 20g could the fry live? Sounds confusing huh? If I bought a new filter for my 40g tomorrow morning could I put in on my already cycled 40g tank without having any horrible effects? Just a thought. Let me know what you think.:o

Mishka

You may be able to move the wrigglers and pair over and just transfer the sponge filter. You have to make sure the water matches the tank that the wrigglers are in.

Eddie

chaoslite
05-08-2010, 02:25 AM
I don't have a cycled sponge filter though. You think it might work with a new one? I could do 15g of the 40g tank water if it would be better? If you think it would harm my discus I won't even try it.

Mishka

David Rose
05-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Congrats Mishka!

What kind of media (ceramic rings etc) do you use in the cycled filter? If you plan on using the same type of media in the new tank, you could divide and use about 1/2 in the new filter. Add new to both to fill. You just want to be sure to use a fine pre-filter sponge on the intake tube or cover with a nylon to prevent free-swimmers from getting into the filter. With daily water changes, you should be good to go.

In the meantime, you could add a new sponge filter or two to the mature tank and let them get seeded over about three weeks time then transfer.

chaoslite
05-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Thanks David! Boy was I surprised. I really thought they might be two females. I will be searching for another tank now 29g. That will make four tanks.:p Taking my time on that one though.

Mishka