PDA

View Full Version : New To Discus, Help?

DiscusFreak123
05-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Hi everyone! I'm brand new to discus, and I really want to try them. They are so pretty and I love their docile kind-of personality. I've been keeping tropical fish for the past 5 years, and I started researching Discus about 6 months ago. I have a 29 gal tank (I know, very small), a canister filter rated for 40gal, and an air stone&pump. I currently have 1 Honey Gourami in the tank by itself. I created a step-by-step plan for what I am going to do in order to get my tank ready for discus. I am going to re-cycle my tank, but this time add a Hydro-Sponge Filter for extra filtration and oxygen. I am definitely going BB, because it's so much easier. My plan is as follows:
1. Cycle for 4 weeks with BB tank and new sponge filter
2. Water Change, 50%
3. Add potted plants and driftwood
4. Cycle for another week
5. 25% WC
6. Add two discus
7. Continue with 20% WC every other day for 1 week
8. Add 2 more discus
9. Do WC, 20%, twice weekly after that
10. Enjoy!

I was wondering, is this good? When should I add the bristlenose Pleco? Is my WC schedule good? I read somewhere that you need a submersed horizontal heater, true?
Thanks in advance,
-Nico

Darrell Ward
05-03-2010, 05:15 PM
I don't think you need to recycle your tank. Only add driftwood. Add 4 small, juvie discus all at once from the same source. Change 50% every other day. Plan on a tank upgrade. Plecos aren't needed. It doesn't matter about the location of the heater. Good luck.

darkknight87
05-03-2010, 05:28 PM
I agree , only I wouldnt add 4, you really need at least 5-6. And yes, definately plan to upgrade tanks in a few months time.
The thing about the heater is if the fish are breeding, it can be bad for the fish to lay on a heater, and if the heater is vertical often they will, but otherwise the heater isnt an issue, just make sure it can maintain anywhere from 84-90 degrees.

Darrell Ward
05-03-2010, 05:38 PM
I agree , only I wouldnt add 4, you really need at least 5-6. And yes, definately plan to upgrade tanks in a few months time.
The thing about the heater is if the fish are breeding, it can be bad for the fish to lay on a heater, and if the heater is vertical often they will, but otherwise the heater isnt an issue, just make sure it can maintain anywhere from 84-90 degrees.

True, but I wouldn't load up that tiny tank with 5-6. I would only add more fish after a tank upgrade to at least a 55gal.

darkknight87
05-03-2010, 05:42 PM
True, but I wouldn't load up that tiny tank with 5-6. I would only add more fish after a tank upgrade to at least a 55gal.

Depends on the size of the Juvies he is getting
I had 6 2inch in a 29 untill they were closer to 3.5, then they moved into a 55

DiscusFreak123
05-03-2010, 06:28 PM
Thanks guys, I'm gonna be getting 2-2.5 inch ones. I'm planning on getting the fish in early July. I'll probably get a new tank in December, for Christmas, instead of an iPad. But, I don't know if I can fit anything bigger than a 40 gal in my room. Do you think it would be better for me just to get another 20-25 gal tank and separate them? Also, should I bother with the heater? I do get a lot of algae, like A LOT, so I really do think a pleco would be good, bristlenose of course. But, Darrell, why should I not get potted plants?

Darrell Ward
05-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Thanks guys, I'm gonna be getting 2-2.5 inch ones. I'm planning on getting the fish in early July. I'll probably get a new tank in December, for Christmas, instead of an iPad. But, I don't know if I can fit anything bigger than a 40 gal in my room. Do you think it would be better for me just to get another 20-25 gal tank and separate them? Also, should I bother with the heater? I do get a lot of algae, like A LOT, so I really do think a pleco would be good, bristlenose of course. But, Darrell, why should I not get potted plants?

Two juvie discus will likely not get along. One will end up stunted. Discus need to be in groups. You need to maintain a high temp. for discus, 84-86. You need a heater. If you have a lot of algae, you have too strong lighting, and are not changing enough water. You barely have room for juvie discus in a 29, potted plants will take up even more space.

DiscusFreak123
05-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Ok, so, I am going to get 4 2-2.5 inch ones in my current 29 gal tank. I'm only going to have driftwood in it. I am going to have a Hydro-Sponge filter for extra filtration and as a backup. Sorry with the vagueness of the heater issue, there was no way I wouldn't have a heater, I meant should I bother with getting a fully submersible. But really, Should I bother getting one? And will more frequent WCs get rid of algae? Finally, when I get a new tank in December, would a 40g be good enough, I mean, it would only be four discus with 50% more filtration than needed?:balloon:

DiscusFreak123
05-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Sorry, forgot to add, Would 35% Wc every other day be good?:confused:

Larry Bugg
05-03-2010, 06:59 PM
If you are planning on getting 2 1/2" in July and cannot upgrade till December and the biggest you can go to is a 40 then you have a bad plan. As has been said you need around 5 minimum. Splitting them up won't solve the issue. The point is they need to be in a group for their will being. They will probably outgrow the 29 in 2 to 3 months. Most people will tell you the minimun for a group of adult discus is a 55. Can you do it as you have outlined, yes, but you will not be keeping your discus in optimum conditions and they will not reach their potential. I would explore your options and see if there isn't something else you can do to do it right. Maybe wait till December to start the project. Discus are very rewarding and you should figure out a way to do it right so you will get all the pleasure you deserve and they will be healthy and happy.

DiscusFreak123
05-03-2010, 07:08 PM
No, I can go bigger than a 40g. Actually, I just remembered, we're redoing our downstairs T.V. room and getting rid of our big T.V.. Wow, I can't believe I didn't think of this before, I could easily fit a 55 gal there. But, we won't finish redoing it until the beginning of July. And then I need to cycle it. But that would be perfect though, right? Like, I could have the discus in the 29 for 2 months and then move them to the 55. But, the problem is that I should put 5 in the 55, so should I just go and buy a discus that's the size of the first four and put it in the 55g when I put the others in? I mean, I don't want to squish 5 into the 29g.:confused::confused::confused:

mmorris
05-04-2010, 10:36 AM
I highly recommend you wait until you have the 55 gallon tank. Sometimes things come up and the 55 gallon doesn't materialize like planned. I recommend no fewer than 6 discus, purchased all at once from the same supplier. If you buy from a reputable source you may be able to buy a cycled sponge at the same time.

DiscusFreak123
05-04-2010, 03:47 PM
That is a really good point. I think I may wait then……
Also, when I do get the 55 gal, I was thinking I should add 5, because then the 10 gal per discus rule is perfect, or should I add one more, for six? I just don't want to add six and have problems, these are my first discus and I really would want them to live.

Spardas
05-04-2010, 03:52 PM
6 would be perfectly fine in a 55 gallon tank.

DiscusFreak123
05-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Thanks Guys for all the help. I know what to do now, if I do it.