PDA

View Full Version : Red pigeon blood color changes

ExReefer
05-04-2010, 09:54 AM
When I bought my red pigeon blood, she had white markings over entire body (minus the mouth, eyes, and fins of course). These markings where surrounded by a nice vibrant red. It’s 2.5 months later and she’s lost the white markings in the middle of her body. It’s just red in that area with some fair faint white markings if you look closely. She’s eating and spawning so I know she’s healthy.

Could this just be the result of spawning coloration? That’s my only guess. Her tail has turned black and she has more peppering now as well (must substrate is light tan).

I’ll post comparison photos when I get a chance.

lkc
05-04-2010, 03:58 PM
It's true that a Discus loses it vibrant colors when it's spawning. At least in the wild. I saw it on the National Geographic channel.....:D

ExReefer
05-05-2010, 11:48 PM
Here's two photos with the female and eggs. Notice the difference in white spots in the middle of her body. The top photo is her very first spawn. The last photo is the 4th or 5th spawn. She's clearly more red in the second photo and her tail is a deeper black. This is a 6+ inch female.

Six weeks ago:
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i75/Monoman1/BMW%20Wheels/DSC_0072.jpg

Two weeks ago:
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i75/Monoman1/BMW%20Wheels/DSC_0024.jpg

Darrell Ward
05-06-2010, 12:10 AM
She's probably just maturing, and starting adult coloration.

DerekFF
05-06-2010, 02:53 AM
Pretty clean pigeon either way.

dpt8
05-06-2010, 06:32 AM
Beautiful female..Very clean ... Looks very thick, vibrant color. What have you been feeding her ?? In any case, They are right... more mature coloring..

ExReefer
05-06-2010, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the comments. She is a nice fish and she’s so large and thick that I thought she was a male. I was clearly wrong about that. :D Funny thing about her appetite is that she really does not eat much. She eats aggressively at first, but within 60 seconds, she’s had a enough and the other discus continue eating. I don’t know how she stays so thick. Must have a slow metabolism. Just before and just after she lays eggs, she has no interest in eating.

Maybe these are her adult colors, but I liked the white spots.