PDA

View Full Version : mesh over eggs?

grantbudd74
05-05-2010, 04:13 AM
This is a photo of my other pair that laid 2 days ago in my community tank. They are fighting over the eggs and who does the fanning of the eggs. The fish in the foreground is the female. Not too sure what they are in terms of strain?

Is this net good enough? I have never covered eggs before so I have no idea really???

Comments/Ideas?

Thanks

Grant

Eddie
05-05-2010, 08:13 AM
No, needs to be firm so they cannot peck on them. Some sort of plastic/metal gaurd would be better. Those are Leopards and nice looking too.

Eddie

mmorris
05-05-2010, 11:22 PM
Why are you covering them? Does this pair have a history of eating them? Does their fighting knock the eggs off?

grantbudd74
05-05-2010, 11:25 PM
the female in the front of the picture always eats them! she has done about 12 batches so far and shows no signs of letting up! Sometimes the fertilisation is poor but I have seen large amounts of eggs go missing. They are still tending to them as they can see them so fingers crossed. I simply dont have the space to divide things up and move around yet but Im working on a perspex divider system today so ill post pics when I have done one.

These are the pair I spent a bit of money on and have proved only that they can lay lots of eggs and the female loves em fertilised!! She has been in 2 different tanks under similar conditions and has laid on several different surfaces so who knows how she works>>>>?

Thats fish I guess?

mmorris
05-06-2010, 12:01 AM
I would remove her, but it doesn't sound like you have the space. Best of luck - Let's hope she doesn't turn out to be a fry eater!

grantbudd74
05-06-2010, 01:24 AM
i think the male may be a bit dud? The eggs went white and fury and only a few were brown so I took the netting off so they could eat them. I have another pair looking at a site now doing runs over it so hopefully they work out. Shame Id love to see these two pair up and produce fry...i'm getting my tanks ready now. Fry eater! No i hope not or its back to a shop for them!