View Full Version : Gill and Skin Flukes

oupulino
05-05-2010, 01:25 PM
I just found this info in the forum library it can help solving the fluke problem.
I just copy it let me know what is your opinion about that same of the treatment been already mention by:
member on this forum Eddie

Gill and Skin Flukes - by Ardan Huck

Treatments
1.Formalin can be used, but will not affect the eggs of flukes so timing is important. Jack Wattley in "Handbook of Discus" (1985) suggests three treatments spaced three days apart at three drops/gallon for 8 hours. Then do a 50% water change. Moving the fish to a clean tank can be done to make sure that hatching fluke eggs from the bottom of the aquarium do not reattach to the fish. Extra aeration should be used when using formalin. Do not use temperatures greater than 84 degrees F. as oxygen depletion can occur.

2.Recommended treatment for safety of fish. Treatment with Prazi has been shown to be effective. Routine = 1/4 teaspoon/20 gallons, wait 48 hours, change 50% water, repeat, continuing for a full 21 days without interruption (Prazi also eliminates tapeworm, do not be surprised if the fish have one, it will come out).

3.Flubenzadol is very effective and must be used for a full 21 days. Use 1/4 tsp/20 gallons every other day. Do 50% water changes daily (has been shown to be toxic to some fish). Untergasser (1989) reports that Flubenzadol also helps eradicate fluke eggs (it also eliminates internal worms/nematodes). Usually the fish may start acting better after 4 or 5 days.

4.Salt dips at 3% may help according to Dr. Carrington (Maintaining a Healthy Aquarium, 1985, Salamander Books), dose at 7.5 tablespoons/gallon until the fish "rolls over" then transfer to clean water.

5.Potassium permanganate dip has been shown to help on the live flukes.

David Rose
05-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Anti-Fluke Life Bearer Active Ingredients: dimethyl, hydroxy, trichloromethyl phosphate

Instructions:
Remove carbon from filter. Using an eyedropper, add one drop per gallon. 1 teaspoon treats 90 gallons. Repeat dosage in 24 hours. Change 25 percent of water after second treatment. If fish begin to experience stress, change 50 percent of the water. Replace carbon 24 hours after last treatment. Check your water quality before and after treatment. Life Bearer may affect nitrifying bacteria.

http://www.igopro-online.com/product-p/ap-aflb4oz.htm

Eddie
05-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Anti-Fluke Life Bearer Active Ingredients: dimethyl, hydroxy, trichloromethyl phosphate

Instructions:
Remove carbon from filter. Using an eyedropper, add one drop per gallon. 1 teaspoon treats 90 gallons. Repeat dosage in 24 hours. Change 25 percent of water after second treatment. If fish begin to experience stress, change 50 percent of the water. Replace carbon 24 hours after last treatment. Check your water quality before and after treatment. Life Bearer may affect nitrifying bacteria.

http://www.igopro-online.com/product-p/ap-aflb4oz.htm

Ditto, best treatment IME

oupulino
05-06-2010, 09:09 AM
The fish which I bought was from local pet store in Toronto and the sold me the sick fish after a week my problem starts first internal parasite after Fluke I post my problem on the forum I got many responds and I also call Dan Espinosa from eliteaquaria to help me with the problem of my Discus
He did excellent job guiding me with some excellent information and recommendation I Did Not bought fish from him but he did not turn me down when I call him for a help
So I like to thanks him for the help I got

Eddie
05-06-2010, 09:13 AM
The fish which I bought was from local pet store in Toronto and the sold me the sick fish after a week my problem starts first internal parasite after Fluke I post my problem on the forum I got many responds and I also call Dan Espinosa from eliteaquaria to help me with the problem of my Discus
He did excellent job guiding me with some excellent information and recommendation I Did Not bought fish from him but he did not turn me down when I call him for a help
So I like to thanks him for the help I got

Oh definitely, Dan is extremely helpful! I called him from Japan when I had issues and he helped me as well. ;)

Sorry to hear about the troubles you've gone through.

Take care,

Eddie

David Rose
05-06-2010, 12:12 PM
Agreed...Dan goes out of his way to help! Glad you got it worked out! :)

oupulino
05-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Yes Dan is a Discus saver and you to Eddie

Elite Aquaria
05-07-2010, 02:37 AM
Guys, Thanks for all the kind words. I just like fish and hate to see people struggling with this wonderful hobby.