PDA

View Full Version : Heater Position

setarei
05-07-2010, 12:00 PM
I'm a little confused. I've set up a BB tank for my new discus I'm getting and have a Eheim Jager heater on there. I plan on doing 50-70% WC but if I do that my heater will end up outside of the water which would be bad. The directions on the heater say not to lay it horizontal so I can't do that (unless that's just for legal purposes just like they can't say submersible technically).

What am I missing here?

Eddie
05-07-2010, 12:02 PM
I'm a little confused. I've set up a BB tank for my new discus I'm getting and have a Ebo filter on there. I plan on doing 50-70% WC but if I do that my filter will end up outside of the water. That's bad right? The directions on the heater say not to lay it horizontal so I can't do that (unless that's just for legal purposes just like they can't say submersible technically).

What am I missing here?

Heater or filter? What brand exactly?

setarei
05-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Opps, it would make sense to ask the right question, wouldn't it.

I have a Eheim Jager heater.

Eddie
05-07-2010, 12:10 PM
Opps, it would make sense to ask the right question, wouldn't it.

I have a Eheim Jager heater.

You can lay it horizontally, no worries. Almost all of mine just lay on the tank floor. ;) Here is a shot of mine laying down in the back. Eheim Jagers are superior quality heaters IMO & IME.

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/Blue%20Turq%20German/9%20days%20old%207%20May/DSC00238.jpg

setarei
05-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Good to know. I knew something didn't quite add up there. And it's thanks to this wonderful forum that I found out they are good heaters. Honestly I think there should be a "course" that future discus owners are required to take before they can buy their discus (which should be this forum).

richiem111
05-07-2010, 12:14 PM
I agree. All my heaters are Ebo Jaeger and I use them both horizontally and vertically with no problems. I didn't realize that Eheim is now the parent company.

Best Regards.

Eddie
05-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Good to know. I knew something didn't quite add up there. And it's thanks to this wonderful forum that I found out they are good heaters. Honestly I think there should be a "course" that future discus owners are required to take before they can buy their discus (which should be this forum).

LOL, thats a pretty good idea! ;)

All the best,

Eddie

setarei
05-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Well that's what it says on my box. I just bought the heaters recently.

Eddie
05-07-2010, 12:19 PM
I agree. All my heaters are Ebo Jaeger and I use them both horizontally and vertically with no problems. I didn't realize that Eheim is now the parent company.

Best Regards.

Well that's what it says on my box. I just bought the heaters recently.

Yup, Eheim took Jager heaters about 6-7 years ago.

Eddie

2wheelsx2
05-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Just hook your heater up to a power bar that is also connected to your filters and flip the switch during a water change. That's what I do. Stops everything and starts everything once the water is in. Much safer.

setarei
05-07-2010, 12:30 PM
But doesn't the heater have to be off for a bit before you can safely take it out of the water?

Eddie
05-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Just hook your heater up to a power bar that is also connected to your filters and flip the switch during a water change. That's what I do. Stops everything and starts everything once the water is in. Much safer.

Definitely! Always good to unplug the heater when doing aquarium maintenance. Good call.

Eddie

2wheelsx2
05-07-2010, 12:33 PM
I am not clear on the question. I just leave the heater in the tank and starting siphoning. By the time it gets out of water, it's already cooled off. I've never taken the heaters out of the tank for water changes.

setarei
05-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Ok so you still lay them horizontal and turn off the power as well. I thought you had them vertical which would mean that the heater would be out of the water right when you started siphoning.

richiem111
05-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Yup, Eheim took Jager heaters about 6-7 years ago.

Eddie

That goes to show you how long it's been since I bought a new heater! I used to buy in quantity when I had many more tanks than I do now. I still have a few unused in the boxes. Great product.

zamboniMan
05-07-2010, 12:36 PM
But doesn't the heater have to be off for a bit before you can safely take it out of the water?

As long as you unplug it before you start your water changes it'll be fine. I take mine out of their tanks about once a month and make sure they are clean and functioning properly. I just unplug them and pull them I've never had any problems with this but I know a few people who swear they need to sit 15 min before being pulled.

I do however let them sit in the tank after maintenance or water changes for about 20 min before I plug them back in. This is probably not necessary but I have found that with some brands this increases the lifespan of the heater.

Hope that helps,
Josh

2wheelsx2
05-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Ah...I see where you're coming from now. I run some horizontal and some vertical. In my 125 gallon, I can't draw the water out fast enough for it to matter. In my smaller tanks, I typically shut the power off while I do some plant pruning etc and then start siphoning. If you're concerned about the heat, just turn everything off, go for a coffee and then come back and start siphoning. :D

setarei
05-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Great. Ya it's a 55 gallon grow up tank (which just sounds wrong in my opinion, especially in BC) so it would be out of the water pretty quick. In my 125 the heaters are in the sump so I have no worries.

2wheelsx2
05-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Great. Ya it's a 55 gallon grow up tank (which just sounds wrong in my opinion, especially in BC) so it would be out of the water pretty quick. In my 125 the heaters are in the sump so I have no worries.

You have to check out BCA more. There are a couple of guys using 125 gallons as growouts. :D

setarei
05-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Of course they are... And they advertise it too, good for them?

2wheelsx2
05-07-2010, 12:50 PM
They're growing out P Bass and Tigrinus, not Discus. Sorry if my humour was lost in translation.

April
05-07-2010, 12:52 PM
the box by law has to have a water line . do not submerse below this line. for csa approval. etc.
lay them on the bottom. the suction cups wont work for long anyhow..so mays well start out on the bottom. and..if they are upright..and thei discus get older..they will use them for laying their eggs on. then..cooked eggs.
if its a glass vistherm heater..defintiely unplug . ive fried most if not all..thin glass..smash..

setarei
05-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Ahh, I think I took you too literally. My bad.

vera
05-07-2010, 01:29 PM
the box by law has to have a water line . do not submerse below this line. for csa approval. etc.
lay them on the bottom. the suction cups wont work for long anyhow..so mays well start out on the bottom. and..if they are upright..and thei discus get older..they will use them for laying their eggs on. then..cooked eggs.
if its a glass vistherm heater..defintiely unplug . ive fried most if not all..thin glass..smash..

+ 1 , better not submerse , if there is waterline

setarei
05-07-2010, 01:34 PM
The Jager heaters have a waterline (for legal reason) but are submersible as far as I know. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

vera
05-07-2010, 01:40 PM
The Jager heaters have a waterline (for legal reason) but are submersible as far as I know. (Correct me if I'm wrong)
i dont switch them off during wc , just keep an eye on them..and its easier to adjust the temperature when they are a bit out of water, espesially at the summer time

Greenheinie
05-07-2010, 03:09 PM
I keep mine (new version...post Eheim takeover) horizontally towards the bottom and under the spraybar. It distributes the heat better both cuz the heating coils are horizontal and cuz the spraybar evenly sprays the water around. When kept upright in the corner, the heat kinda gets "trapped" there and doesn't circulate as well.

Jhhnn
05-07-2010, 05:12 PM
I still used the suction cups, mount Jagers near horizontally below the waterline of my normal waterchanges. They don't get unplugged unless I'm doing some serious cleaning...

It also prevents discus and angels from picking the heater as a spawning site. Females' ovipositors can be damaged if they lay eggs on a heater, leading to potentially fatal consequences...

setarei
05-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Alright it must be safe since most people are doing it. (I guess I'm the type to jump off the hill cuz "all my friends are doing it".)

Eddie
05-07-2010, 09:03 PM
Alright it must be safe since most people are doing it. (I guess I'm the type to jump off the hill cuz "all my friends are doing it".)

Jagers are FULLY submersible...the water line is the minimum, meaning don't allow the water to drop below that line. Obviously people do let the water go below that line. I used to keep my Jagers plugged in (laying on the tank floor) while I performed water changes. I do large water changes of at least 90%. I just decided one day to take that extra precaution and unplug them, even though they are submersed all the time. ;)

Eddie

scottishbloke
05-07-2010, 09:51 PM
I just got my 2 new Jager heaters yesterday from Kensfish and have finished calibrating them. I too mounted them vertically as the box said to do so, even though my previous Via Aqua heaters were mounted horizontally almost at the bottom and were more efficient in that position, and I know that others on this forum do that with the Jagers also. I guess if it's safe to mount them horizontally despite what the box says, I'll bottom mount them during my next w/c; they are also connected to a power strip so turning them off and on is very easy- I always turn heaters off for w/c's for safety reasons (partly melted the holder one time through carelessness :o).

Colin