PDA

View Full Version : Collecting Trip in Iquitos, Peru

Ichthyology
05-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Hey you all. I am planning a collecting trip to Iquitos Peru. Any and all fishes that you collect will be shipped back to LAX (unless you have an import permit and then you can pay shipping to your airport). You pay your portion of the shipping costs. If shipping to LAX, only fish LEGAL IN CALIFORNIA will be shipped (that means no piranha or stingrays unless you ship them to yourself....as I am a college professor, I will not have fish shipped under my name that are illegal). Any proceeds from the trip will be donated to a brand new research institute in Iquitos devoted to the sustainable breeding of amazonian ornamental fishes. The cost of the trip is approx $950 which will include your hotel cost (a three star hotel...if you want first class accommodations that can be arranged but your cost will go up dramatically), your in country transportation, some food.

The date of the trip will be 25 September - 1 October.
There is no age limit//although I would like to communicate with parents if you are under 18. There are no timeshares in the area (I own two but nothing exists in Iquitos).

Breakdown of cost that are not covered with what you will be paying to me for the trip:
1. Your round trip airline ticket from your home to Iquitos = mine from LAX on Orbitz was $750
2. Your portion of the exportation costs (cargo and peruvian paperwork) = FIGURE $125 per box.
3. Dinner most nights....$5-$10 at most, depends on how much you eat most of the trips will day trips.... leave early in the morning to catch a boat to a location, then "fish" all day... be back by 7 or 8 PM... eat dinner. Everyone stays at the same hotel so it is up to everyone if we eat together (I have an apartment as I will be there for 2 months)
4. Alcohol/Soda purchases...we will be buying bottled water for the collecting trips figure soda and/or alcohol costs is about the same as USA...I don’t drink beer usually and am a diet Pepsi drinker, which they don’t have in Iquitos, so i mainly drink water and Gatorade....
5. Yellow fever shot., about $125 must go to a travel clinic as not all places have this shot.

6. Anti-malaria pills. I take malarone as you start 2 days before you leave, every day while you are in country and 'til 7 days after you return. They do not have any of the bad side affects of the old drugs.

7. Fish you catch yourself……….Priceless (could not resist) no cost....

Again, what you are paying will cover the hotel costs, transportation costs in Iquitos for the collecting trips, rental of boats, gear, fisherman, some meals.....

We will be collecting as a group.
List of possible fish (fish that I have commonly caught in the past):
Severum
Angelfish (spotted and non-spotted)
Knife fish
Canero
Plecos (including LARGE Hystrix)
tetras (Big red eyes, lemon, loreto, blue, etc)
Red tail chalceus
Prochilodus
Lisa
wood cats
Corys
Discus (if we go out at night)
Oscars
Electric eels
apistos
pike cichlids
Geophagous
Burjurqui
Huapeta
Leporinus
Giant ottos
Loricarids
hatchetfish
piranha (red bellies and others)
striped raphael
lima shovelnose
etc

I will limit the trip to the first 10 people who put down a 25% deposit. A second trip MAY be possibe if more than 10 want to come but that uis uncertain right now. I have to do my research as well while I am there so I am not sure if a second trip can be arranged.

If there are any other questions, please feel free to e-mail me directly at ichthyology@yahoo.com for more info.