PDA

View Full Version : New 90 Gallon Setup

MatthewLP
05-07-2010, 04:30 PM
Been updating my profile, Signature and Photo Album on here. I put up some pictures of my current 90 thats in cycle now. Is there an easy way for you all to view them? I did a quick setup but wanted your input with what you guys think?

I know there is a big debate between BB tanks and Gravel. this 90 Gallon discus tank will be for show only. So I want gravel and plants. I have a Marineland C-360 Canister filter. I don't like HOB's (nothing personall) for you HOB types Reasson for this is. I have it right in the middle of the living room behinde my couch so we can see it from both sides and didn't want a HOB stuck in the middle.

This tank will be in cycle mobe for the next 30 to 40 days. While the 20 zebra danio do my work for me. My temp is at 80F at the moment. I have a Marineland Stelth Pro 300 watt heater. I have about 6 Amazon sword plants and some Plastic plants and decorations. I'll add and change stuff later just to start off with. but I will keep it rather simple so I can see the fish than decorations.

My Gravel is the standard Black gravel that you get at any pet store. This is where I'm at a toss up at. I know many of you have strong opinion regarding black gravel and this is what came with the tank after I had to clean everything top to bottom. I do want to keep gravel as it will be nothing but a show tank. I want to learn what discus needs are and how to keep them before I start even considering breeding. but for now I just want to enjoy them.

what do you suggest gravel wise? that won't raise PH. I was considering Florite black or Onyx Sand. but with all the debate I thought I would ask you.

Another question if I have a 90 gallon, 48x18x24. Is the Marineland C-360 is that enough or to much for them? I have another c-360 on my 55 Gallon so I figured to stick with it beucase I already have all the media for it and no reasson to change. beucase the C-360 support up to 90 Gallon is that enough? or do you suggest other filtration as well? It seems the recommended temperature for dicus is around 84 degrees will there be enough oxygen or do you suggest air filtration such as sponge filters as well or just a few airstones?

Anways I know its a lot of question and much to dump on somone but I figured this is where I'll start.

Thanks for everyones time that you give.

Darrell Ward
05-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Gravel in discus tanks suck! So does Stelth heaters. Use sand, and get a Jager 250 watt heater, or 2-200 watters. You're better off keeping discus at 86 degrees. Use airstones to raise the O2. A novice discus keeper will in all likely hood stunt juvie discus in a planted tank, especially one that has gravel in it. Buy adults. If you can't afford adult fish, grow juvies out in a bare bottom tank before you "dump em in the weeds". That way you won't stunt them.

MatthewLP
05-07-2010, 11:59 PM
Ok, do you have any suggestion on what kind of sand to use or other fine gravels that are not black?

I bought the Marineland Stealth pro 300 watt heater. but when it craps out I'll get the Jager for sure.

While this tank is cycling i want to get it in good condition and listen to everyone's suggestions. So any help will be helpfull in choice of find gravel to use thats not black.

With Sand however how do you clean it with out sucking up sand in the gravel vacume and canister filter?

Darrell Ward
05-08-2010, 12:55 AM
Pool filter is the most common type of sand used. It's heavy, so it sinks and doesn't float around, and fine enough to allow debris to stay on top of it, not in it. To clean it, you hold the vac close to the surface, but not in it, and suck up the debris.

MatthewLP
05-08-2010, 01:11 AM
You talking about pool silica sand? or another type?