PDA

View Full Version : Is your hobby distracting you?

chhabi19
05-07-2010, 07:39 PM
It's almost a year since I got into this hobby (plants+fish). I am getting distracted @work and @home. Whenever I have some time, I go online for hobby related info. I know there is a learning curve for fish, plants, water, equipments and diseases. But, I wonder what happens down the road - say 5 years, 10 years etc.

So, here's the question for you experienced folks out there.

Do you still get distracted?
On average, how much time do you spend weekly on your hobby?

kaceyo
05-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Are you kidding? LOL!!!

Eddie
05-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Dude, the wife thinks I'm having an affair with the fish, the internet, Simply! I'm on Simply when I'm awake, doesn't matter if I am at home or work. If I am at home, its a constant keeping of the fish, which makes my day worth while. I feed them all day, clean all the tanks, prep all the new water and its the same with each passing day. What do you think? Distracted or determined? :D

Eddie

AirCapital
05-07-2010, 08:58 PM
what eddie said:D
sounds like you need to quit the job move out of the house and get a 70x50 building and set up more tanks:angel:

Arjunpun
05-07-2010, 09:15 PM
Dude its all worth it after u see your school of discus moving from one part of tank to other part. :D

chaoslite
05-07-2010, 09:38 PM
Does being completely new at this and actually contemplating putting up a video feed so that I can watch them while I am work count?

Mishka

Eddie
05-07-2010, 09:48 PM
Does being completely new at this and actually contemplating putting up a video feed so that I can watch them while I am work count?

Mishka

That would be awesome! Could you just imagine how understanding your partner would be if they bought the equipment and set it up for you as a gift. Dreams......just dreams. LOL :D

dean9922
05-07-2010, 11:38 PM
To To Funny Eddie and Chaoslite.....I'm still amazed you can go from one tank a year ago and have multi tanks and a fish room a year later...lol
Also, if the partner really loves you, they should do that for you........lol

calihawker
05-07-2010, 11:53 PM
Dude, the wife thinks I'm having an affair with the fish, the internet, Simply! I'm on Simply when I'm awake, doesn't matter if I am at home or work. If I am at home, its a constant keeping of the fish, which makes my day worth while. I feed them all day, clean all the tanks, prep all the new water and its the same with each passing day. What do you think? Distracted or determined? :D

Eddie

Eddie, you must be on simply when you're asleep as well!:)

Distraction is a wonderful thing! Taken in moderation of course.;)

chaoslite
05-08-2010, 01:46 AM
I work at an internet service provider. I work with geeks that would do it for me, but I am trying to refrain?:D:D:D:D:D

Eddie
05-08-2010, 01:50 AM
Eddie, you must be on simply when you're asleep as well!:)

Distraction is a wonderful thing! Taken in moderation of course.;)

Definitely Steve, most definitely. ;) I do dream of discus.....doing water changes. LOL Just kidding! :D

Keith Perkins
05-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Let's see, a year and a half ago I had one 72 bowfront. A year later I added a 55 to separate my 3 non-spawning discus and divided the four that were. Then one of the 3 none spawners started laying huge clusters of eggs, I sold the two remaining none spawners, and paid IMO big bucks to get a 99% sure male shipped in to have three pairs. That of course meant I need to get a 10 gallon QT. Then the 72 sprung a leak and I bought an emergency 29 and replaced the 72. Of course even though I've tried unsuccessfully to repair the 72 twice it's still sitting in the basement for a third try sometime. Now being on my third batch of fry I really want to quit dividing tanks and having to worry about fry getting to "the dark side" of the divider, so I just bought a used 26 bowfront off Craigslist. Lets see, that's one, two, three, four, five soon to be active tanks plus one leaker. I'm working on plans for a fishroom in the basement as I really want to get the two tanks and the BBS making bucket out of the guestroom. Distraction, what distraction? It's either work, fish, eat, or sleep, no distractions. Oh, did I mention I seem to be getting about 2 hours less sleep a night than I use to? Did I mention I have a wife? I still do have a wife don't I? Hang on...yup, there's a woman sleeping in my bed while I'm up feeding bbs. :D

Disgirl
05-08-2010, 09:59 AM
It has been 39 years of fish keeping distraction for me! It began when I was just a kid! Now, with a 125 gal. tank of discus it is extra pleasantly distracting. The only time I don't enjoy it is when I know I need to do a wc and can't due to being away or almost asleep.
Barb:D

mmorris
05-08-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm single, don't have children and enjoy my job so the amount of time I spend on my discus hobby isn't a problem. I think when spouses, and particularly children, are in the picture, then the hobbyist needs to think carefully about his priorities.

csarkar001
05-08-2010, 02:14 PM
for most people (myself included) i think this infatuation phase passes and you eventually reach a happy medium.

Justice
05-08-2010, 02:51 PM
I can not get Discus out of my mind even when asleep, I have them in my dreams. and I spend 99% of my online time on Discus related sites.

chhabi19
05-09-2010, 01:12 PM
Phew! Looks like I am in for the long run...So far so good, let's see if priorities change in the future. Till then, I guess I am "determined"....:)

erikc
05-10-2010, 09:27 AM
When you move more than five times in under six years and still have some of those original discus with you, no, it's not a distraction, just part of your life.

machine77
05-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Ya i have to agree with eddie, my girl was not to into the discus thing for sometime, me telling her i need to do a WC today, shes would say, those fish get more attention and eat better then she does ha ha.. it took awhile for her to catch on.. One time, i actually got her to make a seafood mix with me, i had her cut up all the fish and what not, when we were at the store i told her, hmmmm.. lets try this type of fish along with are others in the mix this time. Once we got it going she non stopped said how NASTY the smell was, i was laughing the whole time.. I secretly had 2 cups of prime reef, formula one and freeze dried brine shrimp, that i mixed up with my bullet befor she got home, and had it setting in the pantry where she couldnt see it.

She ran outside to say hi to a neighbor, i quickly added it to the mix and whipped it up really good.. I have not used this befor, but i thought it would work great. When she came back i told her i bet the fish will love your motherly touch in there food and she laughed and said, Nolan, there just fish, they wont tell, i said just watch, i bet they can taste the love you put into it.... When it came time to feed them, i said, drop this in there and lets see if they like your food. The fish MURDERED it! I was like WOW.. look at that. Shes like, man they really like that stuff i made.. Now she makes all the seafood mix. I convienced her that she does a better job at it then me.. And she knows how much i like my fish.. The words out of her mouth where something like, GOD DAMMIT! ha ha
Thanks prime reef and formula one!

Nolan

ZX10R
05-10-2010, 01:00 PM
It's almost a year since I got into this hobby (plants+fish). I am getting distracted @work and @home. Whenever I have some time, I go online for hobby related info. I know there is a learning curve for fish, plants, water, equipments and diseases. But, I wonder what happens down the road - say 5 years, 10 years etc.

So, here's the question for you experienced folks out there.

Do you still get distracted?
On average, how much time do you spend weekly on your hobby?

I have always wanted discus now I have been keeping them for about 5 months now and my fiancee is already sick of hearing about them. I don't have a lot like most people do but I spend about a hour or two every day on them. She keeps telling me if I am online it is either looking at motorcycles or fish. Little does she know 99% of the time it is fish :D

darkknight87
05-10-2010, 01:12 PM
To To Funny Eddie and Chaoslite.....I'm still amazed you can go from one tank a year ago and have multi tanks and a fish room a year later...lol
Also, if the partner really loves you, they should do that for you........lol

Times like this makes me think of how nice it is to be single :D.

srusso
05-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Ya i have to agree with eddie, my girl was not to into the discus thing for sometime, me telling her i need to do a WC today, shes would say, those fish get more attention and eat better then she does ha ha.. it took awhile for her to catch on.. One time, i actually got her to make a seafood mix with me, i had her cut up all the fish and what not, when we were at the store i told her, hmmmm.. lets try this type of fish along with are others in the mix this time. Once we got it going she non stopped said how NASTY the smell was, i was laughing the whole time.. I secretly had 2 cups of prime reef, formula one and freeze dried brine shrimp, that i mixed up with my bullet befor she got home, and had it setting in the pantry where she couldnt see it.

She ran outside to say hi to a neighbor, i quickly added it to the mix and whipped it up really good.. I have not used this befor, but i thought it would work great. When she came back i told her i bet the fish will love your motherly touch in there food and she laughed and said, Nolan, there just fish, they wont tell, i said just watch, i bet they can taste the love you put into it.... When it came time to feed them, i said, drop this in there and lets see if they like your food. The fish MURDERED it! I was like WOW.. look at that. Shes like, man they really like that stuff i made.. Now she makes all the seafood mix. I convienced her that she does a better job at it then me.. And she knows how much i like my fish.. The words out of her mouth where something like, GOD DAMMIT! ha ha

Nolan

Hahahaa thats great, for the first time yesterday I got my wife to help with a WC!! Just had her filling the buckets with water... its a start...

I feel its only a "Distraction" if your wife doesn't care for fish...
but I can tell, she's breaking down! I see the way she stares at them lately! She says she doesn't care about them... only a matter of time :D :D :D

kitykatfunkiehat
05-10-2010, 02:05 PM
I had a party the other night, and my boyfriend pretended to pour beer into the tank (after it had been thoroughly washed out and cleaned and taste tested and filled with water) to make me "laugh". It took me literally half a second to run across the house, grab the bottle out of his hand, point it at him, and tell him to get the hell out of my house, in front of all our friends. He nearly gave me a heartattack with his little prank and at the end of the night, he was constantly apologizing to me, AND my fish. Honestly, the whole thing made me cry! He promised to do water changes for me to make it up. And the tank is fine, thank god. I think one drop of water made it in before the bottle was in my hands.

I've been with him for almost 4 years and I would definitely throw him out before anything with my fish :D So maybe unconditional love and passion for this hobby describes it better than "distracting"!

setarei
05-14-2010, 06:05 AM
I guess I have it lucky. My husband not only encourages me, but he is giving me his bonus from work to set up a tank and buy discus. He's also gonna drive down to the states for me to pick up said discus.

But back to the topic. I haven't even gotten the discus and I spend most of my day on here. I know after getting the discus I'll be here more often to make sure I keep up to date on the most "trendy" ways of improving the lives of my fish. Also I'm used to my pets getting better treatment than me. My dog and cat have had new zealand lamb, north american bison, and quite a lot more exotic foods that I couldn't afford for myself.

Eddie
05-14-2010, 06:08 AM
I guess I have it lucky. My husband not only encourages me, but he is giving me his bonus from work to set up a tank and buy discus. He's also gonna drive down to the states for me to pick up said discus.

But back to the topic. I haven't even gotten the discus and I spend most of my day on here. I know after getting the discus I'll be here more often to make sure I keep up to date on the most "trendy" ways of improving the lives of my fish. Also I'm used to my pets getting better treatment than me. My dog and cat have had new zealand lamb, north american bison, and quite a lot more exotic foods that I couldn't afford for myself.

Wow, your other half is a keeper BIG time! If that ever happened to me, I would have died and gone to heaven! lol

Keep us updated on your tank/fish!

Eddie

setarei
05-14-2010, 06:14 AM
Will do once I have something to update. Right now I can just post a bunch of pics of empty tanks. Not too interesting...

I think I'm passing the bug since my husband did decide to try his hand with his own tank (zebras, ADF, and a betta). So far I've had to do the water changes/feedings since he keeps forgetting to do things when left alone. Given time, he'll be taking care of the discus.

brewmaster15
05-14-2010, 06:36 AM
The Discus Hobby for more is an intense one...thats saying it lightly... between the forum and the fish....luckily, its part of my Family and they all enjoy what I do and what we do together.. My lkids are very involved and my wife enjoys the fish I keep....shes not always thrilled with the forum aspect of things but she knows where my heart is after all these years.

I'm pretty sure its distracting me though...I know if it wasn't for the forum and Discus I could become a rocket scientist or a beach bum somewhere in the world.:D

-al

Tito
05-14-2010, 08:24 AM
Just be careful that you don't use fish like a drug or any other addiction. Do not use fish to escape from the realities of life. I pretty much altogether stopped posting in any forum. Sometimes I browse like this morning and saw this post - felt it was worth posting in. And with the fish themselves I look at the tank for 10 minutes or so then move on with something else in the home. I'll come back to the tank for a few minutes monitor the situation but that's about it. I had to be honest with myself and realize that the so called "fish hobby" of mine was some sort of crutch. It can happen and I bet it's happening to more people then you may think. I bet some people are even justifying their addiction by saying things like - I don't gamble anymore, or drink anymore, or cheat anymore, or ___ ____ ___, anymore. But you don't replace one addiction with another. And, you don't deal with your relationship problems by looking at fish all day. Just felt like posting this after being in the hobby real hard for a few years and checking people out and their behaviours. So my answer is NOPE! My fish hobby is no longer distracting me at all. I enjoy them when I can on my terms.

Edit: Oh, and let me say this too - if you're spending tons of money on fish and you work for a living - perhaps you should really re-evaluate the situtation.

setarei
05-14-2010, 08:28 AM
Hey to each his own. As long as you're happy with yourself at the end of the day.

mmorris
05-14-2010, 08:47 AM
Well put Tito.

MRQuad
05-14-2010, 10:27 AM
I can not get Discus out of my mind even when asleep, I have them in my dreams. and I spend 99% of my online time on Discus related sites.

agreed with him.. after those horrible things happened to me.. i never let the discus off my mind.. i always think of them and trying to put things together.. and gladly that i am back on track.. now, i have 15 juveniles and loving taking care of them..

this is addiction..

Wahter
05-14-2010, 12:26 PM
Hmmm.... I guess I'm guilty since when I go traveling around in East Asia on vacation, I have "visit discus breeder" as a "must do" item on my lists of things to do. :D:D:D

Walter

machine77
05-14-2010, 01:18 PM
Just be careful that you don't use fish like a drug or any other addiction. Do not use fish to escape from the realities of life. I pretty much altogether stopped posting in any forum. Sometimes I browse like this morning and saw this post - felt it was worth posting in. And with the fish themselves I look at the tank for 10 minutes or so then move on with something else in the home. I'll come back to the tank for a few minutes monitor the situation but that's about it. I had to be honest with myself and realize that the so called "fish hobby" of mine was some sort of crutch. It can happen and I bet it's happening to more people then you may think. I bet some people are even justifying their addiction by saying things like - I don't gamble anymore, or drink anymore, or cheat anymore, or ___ ____ ___, anymore. But you don't replace one addiction with another. And, you don't deal with your relationship problems by looking at fish all day. Just felt like posting this after being in the hobby real hard for a few years and checking people out and their behaviours. So my answer is NOPE! My fish hobby is no longer distracting me at all. I enjoy them when I can on my terms.

Edit: Oh, and let me say this too - if you're spending tons of money on fish and you work for a living - perhaps you should really re-evaluate the situtation.

I think if people wanna spend there money on expensive fish, let them.. Its there money, and from the looks of it ALOT of people are.. its just your opinion, which only matters to you. Weather people spend there money on fish, boats, cars, animals, tattoo's, music or any other hobby, there gonna spend it somewhere some how. If they have the money, let them do as they please. No one has the right to tell someone else how to run there life or that they need to re-evaluate there situation.. Its a hobby and nothing more, not even a way of life.. And you said dont deal with your relationship problems by looking at fish, well i think if you use common sense, you'll see that will only make things worse. And who does that anyways... ha ha

mmorris
05-14-2010, 02:56 PM
I think if people wanna spend there money on expensive fish, let them.. Its there money, and from the looks of it ALOT of people are.. its just your opinion, which only matters to you. Weather people spend there money on fish, boats, cars, animals, tattoo's, music or any other hobby, there gonna spend it somewhere some how. If they have the money, let them do as they please. No one has the right to tell someone else how to run there life or that they need to re-evaluate there situation.. Its a hobby and nothing more, not even a way of life.. And you said dont deal with your relationship problems by looking at fish, well i think if you use common sense, you'll see that will only make things worse. And who does that anyways... ha ha

Wow! From somebody who got his first discus...last month?

setarei
05-14-2010, 03:00 PM
I think the point of this discussion was just to chat. Let's stop taking things so seriously. Everyone has plenty of hobbies and they choose their priorities, can we just go back to joking around about our significant others?

chhabi19
05-14-2010, 03:38 PM
I think the point of this discussion was just to chat. Let's stop taking things so seriously. Everyone has plenty of hobbies and they choose their priorities, can we just go back to joking around about our significant others?

+1 :)

MRQuad
05-14-2010, 05:24 PM

+2 :D

machine77
05-14-2010, 05:26 PM
Wow! From somebody who got his first discus...last month?

ha ha.. To clear the air, my first discus was not last month. Ive had discus for many years so.....

DonMD
05-14-2010, 05:35 PM
And MY significant other, bless her heart, admitted to me when I returned from a business trip, that she had OVERFILLED my 125 during a water change! But she cleaned it up, and how could I ever be angry ? ? ?:confused: Hey, she was doing the water changes ! ! !

She said she got distracted, and then she heard water spilling, sort of frowned, and then OMG, ran into the dining room, and HANDLED IT LIKE A PRO.

Now, that's what I call a SIGNIFICANT other!!!

setarei
05-14-2010, 05:37 PM
Ya that just happened to my husband. Except it was a few gallons of water, on carpet... The room doesn't smell so fresh even though we cleaned it up good. Will get a carpet cleaner today and try that.

Eddie
05-14-2010, 08:23 PM

+8 ;)

setarei
05-14-2010, 08:27 PM
Umm apparently we can't do math as a collective group. Oh well... It makes it seem like more people agree with which always feels good :D

Eddie
05-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Umm apparently we can't do math as a collective group. Oh well... It makes it seem like more people agree with which always feels good :D

LOL, I fgured I'd just add 8 to the existing number. :D

vera
05-14-2010, 10:07 PM

Nolan
Thats CRAFTY !! lol
Just dont tell her

im stilling the idea:D

kitykatfunkiehat
05-14-2010, 10:11 PM
What does it take to get your significatn other to do water changes for you?!
I would love if he did it, but I get too paranoid he'd do it wrong or mess it up somehow. I like to do it myself so that I know it is being done correctly..which is how I've always been with everything I guess. haha

setarei
05-14-2010, 10:15 PM
Lol ya. He has quite a long way to go before you can change the water in my tank. First he can practice a bit with his own. Although once I set up the big tank it'll be much easier.

I believe the best way is rewards. You take care of the fish and I'll make you breakfast in bed (do that a couple of times and he'll want to change the water every time he smells pancakes....)

Eddie
05-14-2010, 10:48 PM
I would love if he did it, but I get too paranoid he'd do it wrong or mess it up somehow. I like to do it myself so that I know it is being done correctly..which is how I've always been with everything I guess. haha

Victoria's Secret

Keith Perkins
05-14-2010, 11:36 PM
What does it take to get your significant other to do water changes for you?!...

For me it was my wife saving one of my fish. I ended up with 2 pairs spawning at the same time at opposite ends of a community tank about a year ago. My little male BD, who has turned into an awesome parent and I guess showed signs of it this day, ended up exhausted and on the wrong end of the tank I assume trying to defend his spawn. I was running late for work that morning and left the morning feeding to her and never looked in the tank. When she went to feed them she couldn't even recognize him, all color was gone and she was sure he was a goner. She took a net and gently eased him to the right end of the tank where the female could watch out for him and probably saved him. She's been hooked on the fish ever since. :D

Oh, and now when this fish has fry you know what he does? He tolerates me feeding etc., but tries to chase my wife away. Apparently no appreciation whatsoever for what she did for him. :laugh: She just thinks it's a hoot though, which it is. Oops, it's feeding time.

kitykatfunkiehat
05-15-2010, 12:16 AM
Eddie, I'm supposed to get my boyfriend some nice bras and undies? And then he'll do it for me?! :D

Keith Perkins
05-15-2010, 12:28 AM
Eddie, I'm supposed to get my boyfriend some nice bras and undies? And then he'll do it for me?! :D

You have to remember, Eddie is now from the Far Out East.:laugh::D

Eddie
05-15-2010, 01:46 AM

LOL, you asked what it takes and thats what it takes for mine to help. Actually....your BF may like it if you get some nice stuff. LOL

NO, get him things that he likes! Sheesh LOL

Eddie

kitykatfunkiehat
05-15-2010, 01:58 AM
Oh..he would like it if I did that for sure. What guy wouldn't?
I get a workout from water changing anyways...good 'ol bucket method. You should see these guns!

Arjunpun
05-15-2010, 02:02 AM

+1

Eddie
05-15-2010, 06:11 AM
Oh..he would like it if I did that for sure. What guy wouldn't?
I get a workout from water changing anyways...good 'ol bucket method. You should see these guns!

LOL, the old bucket brigade....gave it up years ago. Gotta make things easier so you can sit in front of the tank longer and admire your beauty's. ;)

Tito
05-15-2010, 07:27 AM
Aww it's not that serious now.

I just like to throw in the stuff that makes someone think. I'm sure it applies to somebody. If it doesn't apply to you why frown? As a preacher I know that those who frown and squirm are typically the ones that just felt the rock drop on their toe. LOL Sorry if it hurts. Smooches. :angel:

By the way - the title of the thread is:

Is your hobby distracting you? I would imagine that this question can apply to anything in your life. So - I wasn't off topic at all.

fishorama
05-15-2010, 12:14 PM

I sometimes wait until it's almost dinner time & he helps to speed things along :D Either that or he offers to get takeout ;). He's done them solo twice I think when I was off at a fish auction, not as much or vac'd as well as I'd do but close enough.

machine77
05-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Thats CRAFTY !! lol
Just dont tell her

im stilling the idea:D

ha ha i never will tell her! Next time she makes it ill just say we forgot to add this " mixed flake" in there last time, so please remember to this time. ITs great! :)

tinhtinh
05-19-2010, 10:57 AM
Eddie

Oh man...the same yours, my wife is okey since I felt in love with this hobby..hihi...no more gamling then.
Van.

gwrace
05-19-2010, 09:05 PM
I'm single, don't have children and enjoy my job so the amount of time I spend on my discus hobby isn't a problem. I think when spouses, and particularly children, are in the picture, then the hobbyist needs to think carefully about his priorities.

I would agree. I'm married with two children ages 8 and 12. We have three dogs, two parrots, two bearded dragons and three tanks of fish. Along with working in an IT shop, church activities, home schooling, kids activities, pool maintenance, house and yard work each day is never boring. I certainly would never get away with spending all my time on the fish or the internet forums.

Discus_KC
05-19-2010, 11:04 PM
My hobby doesn't distract me. My problem is getting focused on "the other stuff"

It will consume what time you give it, and for some of us, even more.

I took a break but feel so much new energy again!!

Jack

Scribbles
05-19-2010, 11:41 PM
It's just me my brother, and the critters. As long as everybody gets fed and watered it's all good. When my brother is sick life can be hell. Spending time with my fish is a welcome distraction and has saved me tons on therapy. LOL

Chris

Keith Perkins
05-20-2010, 01:02 AM
...Spending time with my fish is a welcome distraction and has saved me tons on therapy. LOL

Chris

Gee, so why is it mine usually cause me to consider it? :D Today one of my pairs ate their wrigglers that were to go free swimming today and after I discovered that I watched another male eat his mates eggs as fast as she could lay them. Ah the joys, but I wouldn't trade it. The two current batches of fry make up for it and then some. ;)

Back on topic, as for the distraction, I'm planning a fishroom in the basement for the breeding pairs and their fry which will eliminate hauling buckets upstairs and hopefully save a lot of time. Going to set up a drain system and a pump from the water reservoir, so with any luck WCs will take half the time or less. There are good ways to limit the distractions.

kyaw06
05-20-2010, 05:33 AM
my wife said why don't u just go into the tank.U takecare your fish more than your wife and kids.andrew

setarei
05-20-2010, 10:26 AM
My eventual plan is to get one of those massive tanks (think 5000 gallons). That way I don't have to go out to scuba dive...

Laborator
02-14-2011, 06:06 PM
I have been in this hobby now for 2 months and I just remembered that my wife is 6 months pregnant.

TURQ64
02-14-2011, 06:20 PM
Which hobby? betwixt 'em all, that's my life, matey....water,wind, fish, and a guitar or two...My family 'wrote me off' a long way back!...same setup, no let up!

tripp
02-14-2011, 07:22 PM
ive been into this 1 year this week started with a 30 gal lasted 2 months bought a 100 gal of coarse had 2 get a 2nd a 50 gal 2 months later switched to a 75 gal now im woundering if i have OCD did i mention i ride ever weekend camp once a month go to the dog park everyday work 40 hours plus a week i heard about sleeping maybe when i die ill no more about that distracted not me nuts well ? PS in the backyard is my koi pond heck now i no im nuts an really tired

Eddie
02-15-2011, 01:21 AM
What, let me get back to work.....ah nevermind. Never distracted, just attracted. ;)

hedut
02-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Is distracting when have no space :(, is distracting me when I want to add another 125 gln but I live in third floor :(, They just very attractive for me cause fish is part of my life :)

TURQ64
02-15-2011, 09:22 PM
My wife says " there 's a fine line between a hobby and mental illness, and I walk the line proudly!"

zimmjeff
02-16-2011, 06:22 PM
I might be one toe over that line.

strawberryblonde
02-16-2011, 10:03 PM
I might be one toe over that line. <--------this!! ;)

I was out of the hobby for 15 years and all it took was one itsy bitsy lil tank, 4 small platies and the appearance of 10 miniscule fry and bam...my toe was over the line and leading the stampede.

snowflake311
02-17-2011, 12:35 AM
Just learn how to control it you will be fine. I just put my dog of 15 years down I turn to my fish to keep my mind off it and turns out I put an order in with Hans. I lost my dog so I get more fish.

It's an addiction and not just a discus thing it's a fish thing. You just need to learn how to manage your addiction.

William Palumbo
02-17-2011, 12:52 AM
Sorry to hear about your dog Snowflake. A very hard thing to do...Bill

Jennie
02-17-2011, 01:17 AM
Distracting? I'd say so! I can't be here as much to bug everyone! LOL:)

SF, very sorry to hear about poochie..was s good long life!

richardnuss
02-17-2011, 02:34 AM
After 15 years of fish keeping, we are moving to a new house (wish me luck) - but the first negotiation is "where are the tanks going?" and "can I get a bigger one?" - forunately I won and am upgrading my 125G to a 250G!

Hours of reading and water changes - I am with the rest on this - great and rewarding hobby!

snowflake311
02-17-2011, 03:27 AM
Thanks guys it was hard to let her go but the best thing to do. Yes she had a great life she even went cross country with me.

Moving sucks moving with big tanks forget about it. Yes when we were looking for our house I always was looking for where would the tanks go. The house we got has a nice work shop with Soild cemeant floors. I see Fish room .. My husband would never let me but it would be perfect.

Check your floor for that size tank. I'm sure you know that.

Fish keeping is good in so many ways.

richardnuss
02-17-2011, 09:10 AM
Thanks Snowflake - in South Africa we tend to have solid cement floors throughout our houses (tiled) - so the trick is not cracking tiles! Haha... Fortunately the move is just around the corner, so the job is not as risky - but just as big!

James McGuire
02-18-2011, 09:40 AM
Well I was sick for Valentine's Day, so I couldn't get out to get my wife a card or flowers. I asked her on Wed. if she would like some RED discus for Valentines Day, and she said sure we could name them "Cupid" "Valentino".......
So my Marlboro Reds and Fire Reds are arriving from Hans today.

Pat

RodneyL001
02-18-2011, 09:59 AM
I have been doing this since I was about 14, I am 50 now. You will find that after several years you might get out of the hobby for a little bit, but you always come back!!!

ZX10R
02-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Well I was sick for Valentine's Day, so I couldn't get out to get my wife a card or flowers. I asked her on Wed. if she would like some RED discus for Valentines Day, and she said sure we could name them "Cupid" "Valentino".......

Pat

Sneaky but a good idea I should try that next year. I would love to have some of those Fire Reds from Hans. We need to see pics when you recieve them.

kaceyo
02-18-2011, 02:21 PM

Pat
Who do you think you're kidding, LOL!!!! Well played, but they catch on to that game pretty quickly.

greg31
02-23-2011, 12:06 PM
I think most people on these forums have a problem with this hobby! IT IS ADDICTING!!

moon_knight1971
02-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Agree greg31! I said just 1 tank but I have 2 and amy starting a 3rd and possibly a 4th! I gave up my dining room area for the fish lol but I find it very relaxing to sit on the floor and just watch them for a while. It's so cool how they are inquisitive and swim right up to the glass and look you dead in the eyes like they are intelligent beings. Sometimes I see them try to "out-do" each other to make sure I am looking at them lol

Skip
02-23-2011, 04:24 PM
Greg and moon.. ONCE i discovered the NEW POST Button.. it was all over!.. i haven't stop being distracted!! :)

moon_knight1971
02-23-2011, 04:38 PM
HAHAHAHA! I'm going to pretend I did not read your post warlock4169

strawberryblonde
02-23-2011, 06:13 PM
ROFLMBO, I love new posts almost as much as I love reading other peoples posts, though not nearly as much as I love fish.

Ok, so this started with a 3.5g mini tank for a Christmas present and now I've added what turned out to be a 55 gallon corner tank, and then a 20 gallon QT and now I'm heading out this weekend for a 12g Eclipse hex that I'll be modding for higher lighting and using as a SW tank. I've got my eye on a gorgeous Green Mandarin and with some live rock and a couple of Sexy Shrimp it'll look perfect in that blank corner of my family room.

See what happens when you have to be patient and wait for good weather before you can buy your Discus school???

Cuchulainn
02-25-2011, 12:07 PM

Nolan
Thats brilliant. I am going to have to try that

Natives
02-25-2011, 02:17 PM
Yes! My fish room is just down the hall from the kitchen, and any time I go to the kitchen to do anything at all, I have to stop in my room first. My husband thinks I'm crazy.

snowflake311
02-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Yes! My fish room is just down the hall from the kitchen, and any time I go to the kitchen to do anything at all, I have to stop in my room first. My husband thinks I'm crazy.

I have my fishtanks set so I can see them both from the kitchen. My discus are in the living room and I watch them more then the TV. My husband calls it the fishyshow. My other 100gal tank is with in sight on the kitchen just in another room. It's pretty perfect. I just need to find room for more tanks. Or get bigger ones.

Eddie
02-25-2011, 04:27 PM
My fish tanks ARE IN THE KITCHEN!

Justice
02-25-2011, 04:44 PM
As of late yes it has become more work than fun so i am selling my pairs and going back to growing some of my fry out for more pairs next year that way i have something to fuss about next year when i get more fry than i have tanks to deal with again..

Oh and i am planning to do my first Saltwater tank.

snowflake311
02-25-2011, 05:36 PM
what about the bathrooms? saw some photos from a Cory cat keeper that had tanks in everyroom even the bathroom.

Natives
02-28-2011, 02:10 PM
I have my fishtanks set so I can see them both from the kitchen. My discus are in the living room and I watch them more then the TV. My husband calls it the fishyshow. My other 100gal tank is with in sight on the kitchen just in another room. It's pretty perfect. I just need to find room for more tanks. Or get bigger ones.

Sounds perfect to me too!

Natives
02-28-2011, 02:12 PM
My fish tanks ARE IN THE KITCHEN!

You must have a decent kitchen... mine is too small for discus tanks. I do hatch BBS and killies in the kitchen though, does that count?

Natives
02-28-2011, 02:18 PM
what about the bathrooms? saw some photos from a Cory cat keeper that had tanks in everyroom even the bathroom.

I saw the biggest BBS hatching contraption built to drain into a toilet.... it was made by an apisto breeder. I just searched for the photo, but I can't find it.

vandiscus
07-24-2011, 09:19 PM
For the people who your significant other help you out with the wc, I admire you :). The problem with my gf is that I spend money and afraid the water would ruin the house but she seem to like the fish. I try to set up my fish tank so its doing the wc auto so I don't spend much time on it and more time for her :). Make sure you spends more time with him/her then you with your fish :)

VanDiscus

Sheila
07-24-2011, 10:24 PM
It also helps if your significant other (in my case husband) also has a distracting, time and money consuming hobby. He can hardly get on my case when he spends just as much time and money on his hobby as I do on mine!

STL_Cardinal
07-28-2011, 02:23 PM
Great thread. In my case, "distraction" became an "obsession" about six months ago. I started my first foray into the fish- keeping world with a 55g freshwater community tank with fake plants a year ago. Since then, I've rapidly progressed into planted tanks six months ago and now I'm about a month into keeping discus. Currently, I have a heavily planted 75g /w 6 Stendker juveniles that I am trying to grow out. A ton of work, research, and time has gone into this, but what a beautiful, rewarding trip it's been... :)

AKRON AWOL
07-28-2011, 05:03 PM
for me it started out with my sister receiving a betta in a bowl (don't judge...she was a newb)...she "promised" the fish that if it lived past christmas she'd buy it a 10 gallon.....so 2 years later the betta finally got a 10 gallon tank all to herself...anyway, i would love to just come in her room and watch her fish...she got some corycats too...so i became obsessed with getting my own community tank :D

started off small with a 26 gal bf with a bunch of rainbows, tetras, gouramis, cory cats, and a few unplanned snails...less than a year later i finally started a 55gal discus tank :D

and yes i'm addicted...last night we had a big storm and the power kept going out...i swear i just couldn't fall asleep cuz i kept thinking of my poor babies downstairs...couldn't fall asleep until the power came back on around 1am...and yeah, i still had to wake up for work in the morning :D

walan20
07-28-2011, 06:51 PM
OMG I just realized how much time I lost because of my little babies! Now I'm behind on algebra 1... two more chapters to go... Man I hate factoring.

Bud Smith
07-28-2011, 08:58 PM

Pat

Hey Pat - post some pics - I am setting up a tank and will put only put fire reds from Hans in it - can't wait

Plumkin
07-29-2011, 12:25 AM
every time i go to walmart i look at the fish and the supplies to see if they got anything new I am always on craigslist every day looking in the pet section looking for tanks and more fishys when im stressed before bed ill just lay there thinking of ways to make my fish more happy and cool tank ideas.

GVsailor
07-30-2011, 09:00 PM
I pretty much spend every spare moment near a fish tank! It's so addicting!

Sean Buehrle
07-31-2011, 07:43 AM
Yes it's very distracting.

I can actually enjoy myself and not think about work, bills, the unfun stuff.

Thank god.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith Perkins
07-31-2011, 09:00 AM
Yes it's very distracting.

I can actually enjoy myself and not think about work, bills, the unfun stuff.

Thank god.

+1

I try to do WCs every 2nd and 3rd day depending on the tanks, so I have a least one day a week where I don't have any tank maintenance to do. I ALWAYS get a woowho from my wife when I tell her I don't have any WCs to do tomorrow. One evening a week for my wife, 6 for my fish. That's life balance after 50. :)

Stag
08-10-2011, 08:12 AM
"My BD was constipated last night so I couldent sleep."

I think that may put the word "distraction" in perspective for you!