PDA

View Full Version : Help with recipe

TonyAPBTx
05-07-2010, 11:38 PM
When I am making my beef mix with spinach, cod or mahi mahi, shrimp, vitamins, paprika and garlic I find that I have to use a lot of liquid to help it blend better in the blender and get a good consistency.

Is there any liquid you can add other than water that gives good nutritional value and is safe for the fish?

I don't mind using water, but if there is an alternative that adds more to the food that I'm making, I would love to know.

Thank you.

Eddie
05-08-2010, 12:56 AM
When I am making my beef mix with spinach, cod or mahi mahi, shrimp, vitamins, paprika and garlic I find that I have to use a lot of liquid to help it blend better in the blender and get a good consistency.

Is there any liquid you can add other than water that gives good nutritional value and is safe for the fish?

I don't mind using water, but if there is an alternative that adds more to the food that I'm making, I would love to know.

Thank you.

You shouldn't need to add any water. Do you have a stronger mixer, food processor or meat grinder. The less water the better IMO.

Eddie

TonyAPBTx
05-08-2010, 01:14 AM
Well I add water because the first blender was smoking in the first 5 minutes, lol. But it isn't because of the blender, probably because of me.

The addition of the liquid just made everything get blended smoother in the new blender (the old one is toast). I really like the mix I have currently. There are improvements I want to make and I don't know near everything yet.

BTW if anyone is reading this, is cooked or uncooked spinach better? I have used uncooked organic baby spinach.

If I go super slow I'm sure I could avoid it.

Eddie
05-08-2010, 01:23 AM
Blenders are not good tools for making a mix, as you've already found out, they just dont mix well.

Obviously uncooked spinach is better but even then, there are other greens with much more calcium. But yes, uncooked is always gonna have more nutrients.

Eddie

diamond_discus
05-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Don't use blender .. it's not strong enough ... You will burn your blender motor before you finish with your first mix ... I use a food processor and I do add a little water to the mix. Works fine for me. However, with the extra water, it will take much longer for the mix to be frozen. Others recommend to use professional mix grinder ...

Frankr409
05-08-2010, 06:35 PM

Thank you.

Consider Agar which is derived from red algae as it is vegatarian versus gelatin which is not. Either, however, will assist in providing a decent consistency and would be absolutely safe for your fish.

I remember reading Jack Wattley adding Veggies like carrots, or fruits like pears/bannanas. Those would add fiber, which would also provide consistency as well.

TonyAPBTx
05-08-2010, 10:16 PM
Thanks again here guys.

The first blender I had was a 450 watt and it was smoked pretty good.

The new one I got (before I posted this thread, several weeks ago) is 600 watts. It made it through the first batch but I had to be patient and take it slow.

It isn't looking good on the long haul though.

Eddie
05-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Thanks again here guys.

The first blender I had was a 450 watt and it was smoked pretty good.

The new one I got (before I posted this thread, several weeks ago) is 600 watts. It made it through the first batch but I had to be patient and take it slow.

It isn't looking good on the long haul though.

Yeah, I'd jump on a decent food processor and a meat grinder. Meat grinders are not that expensive. My last one set me back $50 and my recent upgrade only set me back $100.

Eddie