PDA

View Full Version : Baby Falcons!

calihawker
05-08-2010, 12:17 AM
OK so they're not as cute as baby goats but they're precious just the same.:D
I spent 12 hr's on the road today to see (and pay for:shocked:) my new peregrine falcon. It was my first visit to a breeder. The ones being fed are 8 days old. The breeder incubates the eggs and hatches them then feeds them and gets them healthy for a week or so then they go back in the chamber to be raised by the parents. At 49 days he'll be fully feathered and I get to bring him home.:D

Really cool day. I got to see artificial insemination (got to use a microscope!) saw lots and lots of falcons it was extremely cool and I'm extremely tired.:o

Enjoy the pics. the last one is about 17 days old and I transported him to another breeder. Kept me company for a little while at least.

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr356/calihawker/525198370_1853634315_0.jpg

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr356/calihawker/525196852_1853628700_0.jpg

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr356/calihawker/525191625_1853609246_0.jpg

Eddie
05-08-2010, 12:53 AM
LOL, cute little bugger....he has character! Thanks for the pictures Steve.

Take care,

Eddie

GoingDiscus
05-08-2010, 04:06 AM
Now that is beyond cool, The art of Falconry is an awsome sport...For sure keep posting on the progress of the little guy, and when you take him to field post a video, please

Ed13
05-08-2010, 09:56 AM
That last pic is priceless!

BTW, that wouldn't be beefheart they are being fed?:Dlol

alpine
05-08-2010, 09:58 AM
Great pictures. Thanks. We had a presentation at our model flying club from a falcon keeper from Dubai and he talk to us about the different falcons used and training methods . We were amazed . It is a fasinating sport and is widespread in his country . I remember him mentioning how hard is to get license to be able to keep them or train them here in America.
Keeps us posted ,

Roberto.

Disgirl
05-08-2010, 10:02 AM
Wonderful pics Steve! Thanks so much for letting us see what a baby falcon looks like, we wouldn't know if not for you!
Barb:)

brewmaster15
05-08-2010, 10:40 AM
Thats so Cool Steve-O!!!:):):) Thanks for sharing!!! Reminds me of when I used to have chickens!!

-al

jball1125
05-08-2010, 11:44 AM
That is awesome.... Makes me want to get one.... Lol

calihawker
05-08-2010, 08:15 PM
LOL, cute little bugger....he has character! Thanks for the pictures Steve.

Take care,

Eddie

Thanks Eddie!

Now that is beyond cool, The art of Falconry is an awsome sport...For sure keep posting on the progress of the little guy, and when you take him to field post a video, please

Definitely I'll post some video.:)

That last pic is priceless!

BTW, that wouldn't be beefheart they are being fed?lol

It's quailburger.:D

Great pictures. Thanks. We had a presentation at our model flying club from a falcon keeper from Dubai and he talk to us about the different falcons used and training methods . We were amazed . It is a fasinating sport and is widespread in his country . I remember him mentioning how hard is to get license to be able to keep them or train them here in America.
Keeps us posted ,

Roberto.

The sport is huge in some middle eastern countries. This breeder breeds gyrfalcons for export to Dubai. It's not that difficult to get permitted here. Kind of a long convoluted process but not that hard.

Wonderful pics Steve! Thanks so much for letting us see what a baby falcon looks like, we wouldn't know if not for you!
Barb

Thanks Barb! I can't wait for him to come home!

Thats so Cool Steve-O!!! Thanks for sharing!!! Reminds me of when I used to have chickens!!

-al

They kinda look like chickens at this stage. Attack of the killer chicken!:p

That is awesome.... Makes me want to get one.... Lol

I wish I could have 2 or 3!

scottthomas
05-08-2010, 11:11 PM
I know its just repeating what others have posted but thats Really Cool. Thanks so much for sharing. I am really amazed by falcons or any of the birds of prey. That little guy already has an impressive beak.

jacjoe
05-17-2010, 08:15 PM
Steve

I had a customer some years back here in NC that had his falconry license. He invited me out for a weekend to observe the sport. He used JR Terriers to flush with. The working relationship between the dog and the bird of prey was amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Joe

yikesjason
05-17-2010, 09:06 PM
Having a falcon was a dream of mine ever since I read "My Side of the Mountain" as a little kid.

calihawker
05-18-2010, 12:26 AM
Steve

I had a customer some years back here in NC that had his falconry license. He invited me out for a weekend to observe the sport. He used JR Terriers to flush with. The working relationship between the dog and the bird of prey was amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Joe

Believe it or not some people use ferrets! I use a large munsterlander and yeah, it really is awesome to see them work together. The joke is, if the hawk could use the pedals and the dog could steer there'd be no need of the falconer.:D

Having a falcon was a dream of mine ever since I read "My Side of the Mountain" as a little kid.

Same here Jason. It just took 30+ years to finally be in a position to do it. It's just so darn time consuming.:o

yikesjason
05-18-2010, 02:13 AM
Actually it was a combination of "My Side of the Mountain" and "Swiss Family Robinson." Was it the same books for you?

vera
05-18-2010, 03:20 AM
Cute passenger Stev :thumbsup:
bet it shows changes every day as it grows, any updates
In Malta hunters turning towards Falcons since the law forbids shooting certain sp of birds and hunting season is very time limited
I've seen quite a few Falcons around and they are impressive!!

Best of luck !!

calihawker
05-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Cute passenger Stev :thumbsup:
bet it shows changes every day as it grows, any updates
In Malta hunters turning towards Falcons since the law forbids shooting certain sp of birds and hunting season is very time limited
I've seen quite a few Falcons around and they are impressive!!

Best of luck !!

Unfortunatley I don't get to see him again till he's fully grown and feathered.:o It's to far a drive to and the breeder has way way to many falcons to be taking pics constantly for customers. I will post pics when I get him sometime around July.

The hunting regulations in this country mirror the gun regulations only that we get a little longer season. There are very few bird species we are allowed to hunt even though we have zero impact. The gun hunters usually ask us if we have the same bag limits as them and our response is "bag limits? we're lucky if we take 1!"

babakaty
05-19-2010, 08:05 PM
Very cool! Is that Al's beefheart mix you're feeding them??:D

jimg
05-19-2010, 08:36 PM
Thats so Cool Steve-O!!!:):):) Thanks for sharing!!! Reminds me of when I used to have chickens!!

-al
I used to order chickens and ducks through the mail. I guess that's what the discus replaced!
Many chics in incubators too!

calihawker
05-19-2010, 09:16 PM
Very cool! Is that Al's beefheart mix you're feeding them??:D

Sure looks like it huh?

I used to order chickens and ducks through the mail. I guess that's what the discus replaced!
Many chics in incubators too!

We just got some chics in the other day, fun stuff! A couple silkies for the wife and some good egg layers. We lost our ducks to a predator a few months ago:( I also started pigeons this year too. Got new babies in the loft and 6 pairs on eggs.:)

vera
05-19-2010, 09:22 PM
Sure looks like it huh?

I also started pigeons this year too. Got new babies in the loft and 6 pairs on eggs.:)

Special breed Steve or common ones

jimg
05-20-2010, 06:53 AM
Sure looks like it huh?

We just got some chics in the other day, fun stuff! A couple silkies for the wife and some good egg layers. We lost our ducks to a predator a few months ago:( I also started pigeons this year too. Got new babies in the loft and 6 pairs on eggs.:)

I used to get all types of bantams from Murray McMurray, Neighbors would move up from the city with their dogs........that's where the ducks went!

calihawker
05-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Special breed Steve or common ones

Thanks for asking vera, I didn't really know until I just went to wikipedia and looked at pics.:) It seems I have american show racers, dragoons I think and 2 pairs of white cumulets. I'm breeding to have a team of very fast strong homers to train the falcon. The object is to have the pigeon outfly the falcon, with good racers it should happen almost every time, that makes the falcon mount up higher in the air as high as 2,000 feet. All the breeders I got from a friend and are proven 500 mile racers.

Tito
05-21-2010, 01:52 PM
Are Peregrines off the endangered list?

Last I remember they were an endangered species. Ok - I see they are off then list but they are still protected.

I used to dream as a young buy of having one of these.

calihawker
05-21-2010, 07:29 PM
Are Peregrines off the endangered list?

Last I remember they were an endangered species. Ok - I see they are off then list but they are still protected.

I used to dream as a young buy of having one of these.

Yes, they were delisted in 1997 in large part due to the efforts of falconers donating breeding stock and perfecting captive breeding techniques. Almost all peregrines and other falcons used for falconry today are captive bred. It's the hope of falconers that at some point in the near future they will allow a limited take of wild peregrines for use in falconry.:)

David Rose
05-21-2010, 07:55 PM
I always look forward to reading your posts Steve. Truly amazing to see! Thanks for sharing. ;)

calihawker
05-24-2010, 09:20 AM
I always look forward to reading your posts Steve. Truly amazing to see! Thanks for sharing. ;)

ya know David, I have to admit that I'm not on any falconry forums. I learned a long time ago that falconers are some of the most self-righteous, judgmental people out there. I've seen the worst flaming ever to a question by an apprentice that had made a mistake in weight management and was simply looking for a little help. Some view falconry as an elitest sport and would like to keep it that way.
When I joined this forum it was to get some help and ideas on how to raise these magnificent fish and now I have a whole bunch of people here that I would be very glad to call my friends so in response to your post, Thank you and SD for letting me share.:)

David Rose
05-24-2010, 09:49 AM
ya know David, I have to admit that I'm not on any falconry forums. I learned a long time ago that falconers are some of the most self-righteous, judgmental people out there. I've seen the worst flaming ever to a question by an apprentice that had made a mistake in weight management and was simply looking for a little help. Some view falconry as an elitest sport and would like to keep it that way.
When I joined this forum it was to get some help and ideas on how to raise these magnificent fish and now I have a whole bunch of people here that I would be very glad to call my friends so in response to your post, Thank you and SD for letting me share.:)

I know what you mean Steve... there are always folks more experienced, full of common sense, brighter or more intelligent. Some know how to share it and some know how to abuse it. I guess that's why I love nature and wildlife. For me it keeps life simple and keeps me humble.

vera
05-25-2010, 05:55 PM
Thanks for asking vera, I didn't really know until I just went to wikipedia and looked at pics.:) It seems I have american show racers, dragoons I think and 2 pairs of white cumulets. I'm breeding to have a team of very fast strong homers to train the falcon. The object is to have the pigeon outfly the falcon, with good racers it should happen almost every time, that makes the falcon mount up higher in the air as high as 2,000 feet. All the breeders I got from a friend and are proven 500 mile racers.

Hey Steve
looked up at the web -the ones u have look very robust except white cumulets-so sweet and gentle, didnt know they can fly 500miles !! my gosh -thats incredible!
thank u for info
and best of luck with yr breeding project

look what i googled :)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c4/Magpie_pigeon.jpg/150px-

mlw
06-08-2010, 01:12 PM
We have a pair Peregrines on a building across from where I work. We put up a house for them because they were unable to nest on the window sill they chose. I think two years ago was their first successful clutch. This year we have four more.

They are quite cute. Best of luck.

mlw
06-10-2010, 11:56 AM
http://www.nj.com/independentpress/index.ssf/2010/05/pass_out_the_cigars_union_coun.html

This is the most recent article about the NJ Falcons, if you are interested. This is the first year they weren't aggressively attacked by the male. He really is nasty, super tough guy dad.

2075turner
06-10-2010, 12:13 PM
He is so cute Steve.:) Now I wish I had one. Norm has put his foot down on all animals though. I have been wanting a bunny for the last couple of years, maybe I should mention a falcon and see what he says:D:p

calihawker
06-10-2010, 04:13 PM
http://www.nj.com/independentpress/i...nion_coun.html

This is the most recent article about the NJ Falcons, if you are interested. This is the first year they weren't aggressively attacked by the male. He really is nasty, super tough guy dad.

Great article thanks!!! That's a real big female in that first pic. I was really happy to see that the writer paid tribute to falconers as being instrumental in the recovery effort.:) A lot of wildlife biologists don't want to recognize "hunters" as being a benifit to the ecology and conservation efforts.

I go on a 4 hr. road trip tomorrow to pickup the new baby.:D I'm so excited.:D I'll post pics in a couple days after he's had a chance to settle in.

calihawker
06-10-2010, 04:17 PM
He is so cute Steve.:) Now I wish I had one. Norm has put his foot down on all animals though. I have been wanting a bunny for the last couple of years, maybe I should mention a falcon and see what he says:D:p

Bring him over here and see what noahs ark looks like.:p I gave up telling my wife no more goats and she gave up telling me no more birds so we're even.:)