PDA

View Full Version : Turn over rate / GPH

MatthewLP
05-08-2010, 01:24 AM
Is there a standard turn over rate for filtration for discus? most tropical fish and african cichlids want 6 to 10 times turn over rate of water. does that pretty much apply to discus as well?

Reasson why I asked. The 90 gallon I have has the Marineland C-360 with 360 GPH. But if discus requires about the same as most tropicals around 6 times that's 540, that leaves me about 180 GPH short.

Is that going to be a problem with this 90 gallon tank for Discus?

Today I found a LFS that sold the hydro Sponge filters so I picked up 2 of The Hydro II for up to 20 gallons each so thats why I got 2 of them instead of one big one. Do you all think that will help with the C-360 canister filter?

Discus like those high temps so figured I would put a couple of air stones in the sponge filters to aid in the gas exchange and extra bio filtration as well.

Let me know what you all think if I should have gotten bigger ones or the Hydro II is good enough to work with my canister filter and meeting the demands on my turn over rate.

Eddie
05-08-2010, 01:29 AM
Hydro IIs are quite small for a 90, more for a 20. Might pick up 2 Hydro IVs, since they are rated for 80. 2 of them would be perfect IMO.

I wouldn't worry about your under gph, its more of a water quality issue. Depending on how you maintain your tank, the filter you have will be just fine. ;)

Eddie

MatthewLP
05-08-2010, 01:50 AM
Really?

You think on top of my C-360 canister filter I need that large IV sponge filter? let alone 2 of them that big? not to question you knowledge by any means.

"Damn" I just bought them today. I could see maybe having them that big with nother other filtration. but then again I have "never" used them in my life. I figured it would add that extra boost just getting two of the hydro II sponges not the IV.

do they get cloged up or somthing using the smaller ones?

Jhhnn
05-08-2010, 07:47 PM
The larger sponge filters just provide more internal surface area for bacteria, the ones involved in the nitrogen cycle.

I personally like the #3 size because they're still small enough to easily maneuver in and out of tanks for periodic squeezing out in a bucket of tank water. They also have large surface area. I run more sponges than I really need, partially because of the increased aeration, and also because they're portable, a great way to basically eliminate cycling in new tanks.

They get beat up over time, mostly from being cleaned. the internals are all the same with ATI sponges, so your smaller sponges can be replaced with larger when the time comes, if you want. Kensfish carries replacement sponges as do others, like Jehmco. ATI also makes a sponge prefilter kit for canister filters which is biologically active if you rinse it in tank water, and which also reduce the need for canister cleaning tremendously...

Discus don't need or want a lot of current in their tank, and I'm of thee opinion that media volume trumps flow wrt filters in general. 4X tank volume with some sponges should be entirely adequate.

Eddie
05-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Really?

You think on top of my C-360 canister filter I need that large IV sponge filter? let alone 2 of them that big? not to question you knowledge by any means.

"Damn" I just bought them today. I could see maybe having them that big with nother other filtration. but then again I have "never" used them in my life. I figured it would add that extra boost just getting two of the hydro II sponges not the IV.

do they get cloged up or somthing using the smaller ones?

They (the IVs) actually aren't that big. Using the 2 little ones will add, sure, any type of filter you run in the tank will add. You don't have to worry about them getting clogged, as the sponges are all the same density aside from the Pro version, which has a larger pore size.

Eddie

MatthewLP
05-08-2010, 09:43 PM
Jhhnn and Eddie,

Tank you for you help and kind words. I'll upgrade to the III when the time comes. that supports up to 40 gallons x 2 on the right and left corner. as john suggested when the time comes to replace them I'll upgrade to the larger sponge if they all fit the same tube witch I didn't realize so thats fantastic to know!

What size air pump should go on those sponge filters? and if it a good thing to add an airstone between the tubes if so does it matter where to put the airstone all the way to the bottom or top of the tube of the sponge filter or does it matter?

Regarding 4x turn over rate "phew" I was worried there for a moment. I knew discus didn't want fast moving current so why I stuck with the 360 GPH. but I had hoped I didn't make a poor choice so 4 times is good enough..."thank god" :)

Eddie
05-08-2010, 10:11 PM
I'd go with a Fusion 600 or 700, they are extremely quiet and I have 2 powering all sorts airstones/filters.

http://www.kensfish.com/fusionairpumps.html

As far as the airstone, I run the airline down through the tube and then through the cross top. I then attach a slim airstone to the airline tube and then attach the top half of the filter frame. Does that make sense? So basically the airstone is running INSIDE of the sponge filter frame.

Eddie

Jhhnn
05-08-2010, 10:55 PM
Lots of people seem to like the fusion pumps, as eddie recommends. I have a central pump atm, and used luft pumps before that. They've become ridiculously expensive, however. The fusions are so inexpensive you can just buy 2, keep one as a spare.

I also use small airstones in my sponge filters- connect the tubing to the top of the bullseye, a very short length of tubing to the airstone on the bottom side. Either method works, and they're a lot quieter with airstones. As with anything, it's good to have spares, as the airstones gook up over time. Both Jehmco and Kensfish sell ones that'll stand up to being soaked in acid to clean 'em out, restore full flow. The plastic dispos-a-stones work with my method, as well, and are so cheap you can just pitch 'em, plug on another...

MatthewLP
05-09-2010, 12:51 AM
GOTCHA,

I just happened to find a Local Aquarium only fish store where I happened to find the hydro sponge filters and they had the fusion air pumps right next to them so I'll pick one up tomarrow as this smaller one is not really cutting the mustard.

and I'll see if they have the Hydro sponge III replacements. Eddie I'll look at the IV like you suggested as well.

Now that i see the fuction and low cost of the sponge filter I'm starting to understand there importance and other things you can do with them that standard HOB and canisters can not provide.

I have a pretty good size UPS I'm not using as a battery backup. it would take nothing to run a air pump to save you bioload shoud your caniser filter bio not make it. I'm starting to understand now..... :D I think I will get the bigger sponges now.

Thank you all SO very much.

Jhhnn
05-09-2010, 09:00 AM
Smart move with the UPS. Best of luck to you!