PDA

View Full Version : DUD DAD!?

grantbudd74
05-08-2010, 02:24 AM
Anyone here experienced an infertile male? Female lays loads and I get a lot of white eggs. THey have had around 12 attempts with no luck of going all they way to wrigglers. Female eats the eggs but i see quite a few white ones.

scottthomas
05-08-2010, 09:08 AM
The male isnt necessarily infertile. He may just not know what hes doing yet or too young. Often, the female is ready way before the male is ever really interested if they are the same age. I have had females of a pair lay eggs over 20 times before they produced wrigglers. If you like the pair and believe they will produce desirable fry, have patience and leave them together. They just might need more time. Good Luck:)

mmorris
05-08-2010, 12:53 PM
Are you sure it is a male?

grantbudd74
05-08-2010, 03:07 PM
I have not seen him lay eggs and he is more pointed down below than the female. He does passes over her eggs and does not add to the egg pile so I assume from that he is a male. They are a great pair and I would love for them to produce eggs. Tried around 12 times with me and 3-4 in the shop.

I am going to give them their own tank again soon so fingers crossed they have an idea. He does fertilise a few but never worth keeping and the fungasised eggs always make the fertile ones bad so they eat the whole batch.