PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a Breeder

DiscusFreak123
05-08-2010, 07:04 AM
Hi again everyone! Now that I've narrowed down my tank choices, I need to decide where to get discus from. I live in north NJ where we have hard, high pH water. pH out of the tap is about 7.6-7.8, and the hardness is about 300 ppm. So, I decided I wanted to find a local breeder, so I can get some answers and maybe some discus that live in closer pH ranges to mine. So, I found this breeder, and they are located only about half an hour away, and their water is similar.
http://www.discusmadness.com/discus-FYI.html
If you scroll down to the water parameters section it tells you their growing tanks parameters. Now although the pH is lower, do you think I can acclimate them to my pH? It would be much easier for W/Cs.
Also, do they look reputable? I mean they do to me, but this is my first time with discus. Finally, I would be making an appointment there and buying the fish there instead of shipping, partially because its cheaper, and because I can choose which fish I want exactly.

Thanks in advance!
-Nico

calihawker
05-08-2010, 08:57 AM
They look to be allright by their website. If your ph is the same or a little higher than theirs, just float the bags to match temps then scoop them out and plop them right in and they'll be fine. It's when the new tanks ph is lower that you want to do a slow drip method of acclimating.

You should browse through here and learn to identify good healthy discus so when you go to get yours you'll know what to look for. I'm not that great at it but some other members I'm sure can give you good pointers.

Good luck Nico!

Keith Perkins
05-08-2010, 09:24 AM
...You should browse through here and learn to identify good healthy discus so when you go to get yours you'll know what to look for. I'm not that great at it but some other members I'm sure can give you good pointers.

Good luck Nico!

I whole heartedly agree, do your homework to identify good healthy discus ahead of time. Since you plan to pick up the fish you have the opportunity to have a major advantage over having them shipped to you, but only if you do your research ahead of time. Here's one thread to help, http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=33300, but I'm sure if you use the search function you can also find others too. Two pieces of advice, don't walk in and get sucked into a "pretty" fish based on color or markings who otherwise isn't a good fish. It's an easy trap for a newbie to fall into. Secondly, if you don't see the quality fish you expect walk away. It's hard when you're all revved up to buy your first discus, but it's still the right thing to do. Best of luck, but do your homework first! You'll avoid kicking yourself later.

aquaparadise
05-08-2010, 09:38 AM
Hi Nico,

You can actually lower the PH by using phosphoric acid. Therefore you can choose from which breeder has the best fish. Also its best to get from 1 breeder rather than many. As this will induce a plague or disease.

Brandon

DiscusFreak123
05-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Thanks guys. I don't need to QT because they'll be the first fish going into the tank right?
Also, this place breeds bristlenose plecos, and I was thinking of getting one, sound ok?

MGKelly
05-08-2010, 11:12 AM
I live 45 minutes from discusmadness and I’m not trying to steer you away, but I’m 100% sure that if you bought fish from a sponsor you’d receive healthy fish. The only sponsor I’ve bought fish from so far is Kenny/Forrest and both the fish and service were incredible. I’m getting ready to place an order with Elite Aquaria, if you interested we can save on shipping.:)

Good luck and what ever you do keep us posted.

Joe

Keith Perkins
05-08-2010, 11:14 AM
Bristlenoses are often kept with discus, so no problem there. QT could still be desirable if the discus aren't all coming from the same tank or if the supplier doesn't use a central filter system. They may cross contaminate with siphoning equipment and stuff anyway, so it's not likely you'll need to QT. If these are going into a new tank, it's critical you make sure the tank is cycled first and you're positive the ammonia and nitrites have been replaced with nitrates. If you're not familiar with this, back to doing homework and cool your heels about going and getting discus for a bit.

DiscusFreak123
05-08-2010, 11:22 AM
CozyKeith, I was definitely going to cycle the tank! LoL

But, anyway, thanks for the input, I think I going to buy from discusmadness.

mmorris
05-08-2010, 11:48 AM
If you do a search for Discus Madness, you will find some reviews from other buyers. You could acclimatize using a drip method but they should adjust to a higher ph without too much trouble. Adding acid could really mess you up. Fish sellers post pics of the best fish on their sites, not necessarily the ones you will be getting. I learned how to evaluate quality by looking at the pics in the discus university section and then trying to second-guess the evaluator's comments. Learning to identify quality takes time.

Keith Perkins
05-08-2010, 05:46 PM
CozyKeith, I was definitely going to cycle the tank! LoL

But, anyway, thanks for the input, I think I going to buy from discusmadness.

Sorry if that was way to elementary of advice for, but I've learned not to take even the most basic of fish knowledge for granted when talking with folks I don't know.

Also, if you're lucky enough to get advice from MMORRIS, I'd seriously consider following it. She's never led me astray.

DiscusFreak123
05-09-2010, 06:25 AM
Also, if you're lucky enough to get advice from MMORRIS, I'd seriously consider following it. She's never led me astray.

Yeah, I understand. And I searched discusmadness and I actually got a thread from here about it. All of the reviews about the fish were positive. I made an appointment and I am going there sometime next week.

P.S.: I just bought a new 60 gallon tank!

mmorris
05-09-2010, 11:43 AM

What a nice thing to say. :)

Keith Perkins
05-09-2010, 02:29 PM
...I just bought a new 60 gallon tank!

Have you seen the thread "is your hobby distracting you"? LOL

What a nice thing to say. :)

Funny, you thought it was nice and I just thought it was true.

mmorris
05-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Funny, you thought it was nice and I just thought it was true.

:)

roclement
05-09-2010, 06:19 PM
I don't think discus madness breeds all their fish so I would be very careful if they bring stock from multiple sources.

Why don't you buy from Dan from Elite and share shipping as offered, I guarantee you will not be dissapointed.

Rodrigo

ifixoldhouses
05-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Discusmadness looks expensive to me, $35 for a 2" fish
Kenny sells 3.5's for that, or alot of people sell 2.5's for like $10-$15 here don't they?

DiscusFreak123
05-10-2010, 07:06 AM
Discusmadness looks expensive to me, $35 for a 2" fish
Kenny sells 3.5's for that, or alot of people sell 2.5's for like $10-$15 here don't they?
Really? But, it might be worth it for me because its local and the water conditions are almost the same as mine.

Keith Perkins
05-10-2010, 01:18 PM
Really? But, it might be worth it for me because its local and the water conditions are almost the same as mine.

Discus don't like constant swings in their water, like when you don't age your replacement water for 24 hours or more with an airstone and a heater and just use tap. Ph and things tend to bounce then and you end up with sick fish. Discus changing once from one type of water to another isn't nearly as big of a deal. It's more important to get good fish than to get fish from the same type of water. I don't know ANYTHING about the discus source you mentioned possibly getting fish from locally so this is no comment on them, just a general point of information.

Eddie
05-10-2010, 07:18 PM
Elite Aquaria
Kenny's Discus
Discus Hans

And not necessarily in that order but any of those....and you'll be well ahead of the game.

DiscusFreak123
05-10-2010, 08:00 PM
No, I totally agree, those sources seem great, and the most definitely are. I really keep going back to this place because its local, so I can drive and hand pick my fish, I don't have to worry about anything shipping related, and finally, my dad would much rather me buy from a local store where we can meet breeders and pick the fish. Although ordering from a sponsor would be perfectly okay, my dad would probably make me go to discusmadness anyway.

jimg
05-10-2010, 08:14 PM
I live 45 minutes from discusmadness and I’m not trying to steer you away, but I’m 100% sure that if you bought fish from a sponsor you’d receive healthy fish. The only sponsor I’ve bought fish from so far is Kenny/Forrest and both the fish and service were incredible. I’m getting ready to place an order with Elite Aquaria, if you interested we can save on shipping.:)

Good luck and what ever you do keep us posted.

Joe

+1

jimg
05-10-2010, 08:42 PM
I have bought from dm. I was not happy at all.
I also bought from Hans and could not of been more pleased with him or his discus
Stay with sponsors here or Al at Rocky mountain.
My water from tap is usually 7.8 7 gh 5 kh tds 240. raising discus in that works fine for me.
I used r/o tap mix for wilds and breeding only.

Frankr409
05-10-2010, 08:48 PM
I have bought from dm. I was not happy at all.
I also bought from Hans and could not of been more pleased with him or his discus
Stay with sponsors here or Al at Rocky mountain.
My water from tap is usually 7.8 7 gh 5 kh tds 240. raising discus in that works fine for me.
I used r/o tap mix for wilds and breeding only.

For my purposes, Al at RMD is the way to go.

What happened to Cary Strong???

jimg
05-10-2010, 09:02 PM
For my purposes, Al at RMD is the way to go.

What Happenend to Cary Strong???

Al at RMD is one of the best and most knowledgeable discus breeders there is!

athy
05-10-2010, 09:31 PM
*jaw drops at price*

I'm so glad to live close to April's :D

Personally, I would go with a sponsor here. Even though you may not be able to hand pick your fish, I would trust them to pick something to your satisfaction, and some more.

DiscusFreak123
05-10-2010, 10:00 PM
Personally, I would go with a sponsor here. Even though you may not be able to hand pick your fish, I would trust them to pick something to your satisfaction, and some more.

I don't know guys, now you're trying to make me go with a sponsor. If I don't go with DM, I'll probably go w/ RMD because they don't import fish (I think). But I'll just have to wait and see. My tank won't be cycled for at least another month, and I probably won't get the fish until July.....:confused:

athy
05-10-2010, 10:13 PM
no rush. Just keep looking. lol it took me a REALLY long time before I got mine ^ ^ make sure to know exactly what you want then go hunting :D

Keith Perkins
05-10-2010, 10:43 PM
I don't know guys, now you're trying to make me go with a sponsor...:confused:

I think what most of us are trying to do is get you the best fish possible. Many of us started out buying inferior fish after having not done enough or any research and we try not to let others make the same mistake. To buy good healthy fish from a less than premium supplier you really have to know what your looking for. On the other hand if you buy from someone like Kenny, that part's already been taken care of and you don't have to worry about it.

DiscusFreak123
05-11-2010, 04:29 PM
Thanks guys. I'm actually thinking of buying some discus from a store nearby that sells Discus Hans discus. The link is here: http://www.absolutelyfish.com/photos/freshwater/discus.php

And this is the Discus Hans website, right?: http://www.twofishguyz.com/

Thanks guys, if the prices are a lot cheaper, I'll probably go there.

roclement
05-11-2010, 05:06 PM
look, talk to your dad and when you are ready we can set something up and I can drive the two of you down to Hans if you want, it's not far and you can get much better fish at lower prices, better than buying at a mark-up locally. Let me know!

Rod

mmorris
05-11-2010, 05:10 PM
I recommend taking Rod up on his offer. If you are new to discus, it is really sensible to have someone along to advise you. Happy shopping. :)

John_Nicholson
05-11-2010, 05:15 PM
There has been several good sponsors listed here and you would probably be happy with fish from any of them. If it was me I would email Hans and buy fish directly from him.

-john

athy
05-11-2010, 05:35 PM
I would take up Rod's generous offer it it were me :D

DiscusFreak123
05-11-2010, 06:12 PM
look, talk to your dad and when you are ready we can set something up and I can drive the two of you down to Hans if you want, it's not far and you can get much better fish at lower prices, better than buying at a mark-up locally. Let me know!

Rod

Thank you very much for the generous offer Rod. That is very nice of you, but I live over four and a half hours from Discus Hans. I think I may just buy from his website. Are his prices low? Like a lot lower than discusmadness?

Wahter
05-11-2010, 06:20 PM
I just noticed that discusmadness copied a lot of text directly from my discus website in their Compatible Discus Tankmates section of their website.

their page:

my page:
http://www.aquariumhobbyist.com/discus/water/index.html

No telling where they copied the rest of the info on their website!!!!

Are you going to trust them when they can't even write up a small description on compatible fish? (I really hate people who copy things off my discus website without asking!!!).

Go with Discus Hans! (how far are you from Rod? 4.5 hours might be a long trip for one person, but when you car pool and talk about keeping discus, the time will seem to go much faster.)

Walter

roclement
05-11-2010, 06:32 PM
well I am gonna guess you are 30 minutes North from my house, it takes 2:30 from my house to Hans so 3 hours each way for you and your dad, throw in a cople hours at his place and you have a 8 hour full day of fish trip! Sounds like fun to me!

when you are ready look me up, I can get you some starter, good quality fish for free so you can test your tank and husbandry, if they do well you will be ready to spend some money with whom you choose.

lots of people helped me, i help you!

rod

DiscusFreak123
05-11-2010, 06:37 PM
I just noticed that discusmadness copied a lot of text directly from my discus website in their Compatible Discus Tankmates section of their website.

their page:

my page:
http://www.aquariumhobbyist.com/discus/water/index.html

No telling where they copied the rest of the info on their website!!!!

Are you going to trust them when they can't even write up a small description on compatible fish? (I really hate people who copy things off my discus website without asking!!!).

WOW........ HE COPIED. I hate copiers, there is no way I'm buying from him. If he can't even write his own stuff, then I will not buy from him. Wow, it just irritates me because I was going to buy from him. Thank you guys so much. I'm just going to buy from Hans and have him ship to me, or take a look at the dealer that's nearby. Wow, I can't believe it. Thanks so much, you were DEFINITELY right.

DiscusFreak123
05-11-2010, 06:43 PM
Rod, thank you very much, you are VERY nice, and when I am ready, I may take you up on your offer, but as of now, I still need to cycle my new tank!

DiscusFreak123
05-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Just wanted to let y'all know that I will be starting cycling my tank tomorrow!!!

mmorris
05-12-2010, 09:51 AM
I bet if you asked Hans he would have a cycled sponge you could buy. My advice is don't have them shipped to you - take Rod along and get some expert help picking them out.

DiscusFreak123
05-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Maybe mmorris..... Just wondering, is it bad to have fish shipped to you?

Keith Perkins
05-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Maybe mmorris..... Just wondering, is it bad to have fish shipped to you?

It really depends on the supplier. The best suppliers you are almost 100% guaranteed of getting great fish every time and if you have any complaints they'll work to make it right. Others, not so much. Hans has a huge quantity of fish and having someone with you who is good at identifying the best fish out of a group would be a great plus for a first time buyer.

DiscusFreak123
05-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Ahhhhhhh, so many options and choices I don't know what to dooooo!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!??!
Well, hopefully I can think of something, or take up Rod on his offer, but I still have a while until I actually get the fish. So, as for now, I'm still undecided.

Keith Perkins
05-12-2010, 06:52 PM
If you decide to go with fish from Hans you absolutely have to take Rod up on his offer. I'd love to have the opportunity to see so many discus all at once. If Rod can pick the best of the bunch out for you, what a huge plus.

DiscusFreak123
05-12-2010, 06:57 PM
If you decide to go with fish from Hans you absolutely have to take Rod up on his offer. I'd love to have the opportunity to see so many discus all at once. If Rod can pick the best of the bunch out for you, what a huge plus.

I know, you're totally right, it would be totally awesome to go and see Hans's entire place. I would be taking gazillions of pictures the entire time. And Rod would help me pick the best fish.....

roclement
05-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Well as much as I would love to deserve all the expert praise I am another guy always looking for the best fish! Aren't we all!?

Going to Hans does have all of the advantages mentioned plus he is a cool guy and HE IS AN EXPERT! He can pick pairs by smell alone! I am yet to have a fish fool the Dutch Man!

I would also recomend you start with some fish of at least 4inches in size, sure they will cost you a couple of extra bucks but for a newb it is a safer bet than to chance stunting smaller fish.

I am more than willing to hit the road with you and your dad, just look me up when you are ready, don't be shy!

Rod