PDA

View Full Version : Basic Plant Questions

DiscusFreak123
05-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Hi, I want to add just a few potted plants to my tank, about 4-5. I kinda am a plant killer, but I have a bag full of Flourite Black Sand. My questions are:
*Are any kinds of pots ok?
*What plants should I get?
*How to use the Flourite Black?
*How much maintenence will it be?
*Are they going to live easily?

I don't know my light specs. or anything, and I'm not getting CO2. So just basic, easy to take care of plants that will live.
Thanks
-Nico

Wahter
05-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Not to sound sarcastic, but sounds to me like your perfect plants would be the plastic ones. I say that because you sound like you want plants, but you don't want to take care of them (lighting, maintenance, CO2, etc...).

Walter

discusjoe27
05-08-2010, 07:06 PM
don't want to be to harsh, you want some easy to grow hardy low light plants.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myplants/Anubias_Lagenandra/0/7
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myplants/Cryptocorynes/0/4

wash the flourite a few time, lay it in your tank, and then plant the plants like you would in a garden. you want 1.5-2 wpg a gallon but it also depends on lumams, par, etc etc. don't know what size tank, but i would get a 55 gallon and get 2 48 inch 54 watt(each bulb)t5 ho/vho lights coralife 6,700k or 10,000k.

best thing to do is to go to plantedtank.net or aquaticplantcentral.com
and see if any one has crypts or anubias. some people will do a RAOK random act of kindness and will give you some and all you will have to do is pay for the shipping which would be oh 5-8 dollars depending on the box.

yikesjason
05-08-2010, 09:52 PM
If you want to keep a bare bottom tank, you can use clay flower pots and easy plants like crypts or swords. Ad some root tabs so they can get the nutrients they need. Then you can move the pot around in the tank when you are cleaning it.

Pardal
05-09-2010, 05:12 AM
I recomend you to use just two or three species of plants at the most.to keep it simple .
like Anubias really easy not too much light as long as you keep the rizome above the gravel, and they could go on wood too.
Amazons , and Sagitaria. they all are good Discus plants. and maybe a real Java moss.it looks like you want too pot them. that's fine.
but you can use some sand like filter pool sand, estees or those new caribsea
that come with beneficial bacterial and expedite cycle the aqarium, they have
like 7 styles like Crystal River, Sunset gold,moonlight sand, or Torpedo beach
and still keep it simple.

DiscusFreak123
05-09-2010, 06:29 AM
If you want to keep a bare bottom tank, you can use clay flower pots and easy plants like crypts or swords. Ad some root tabs so they can get the nutrients they need. Then you can move the pot around in the tank when you are cleaning it.

Yikesjason, That's what I wanted to know, root tabs and what pots to use, Thanks!

-Nico