PDA

View Full Version : Instructions and My "GPS" for Importing fish into US

ashaysathe
05-08-2010, 04:53 PM
Number of hobbyist has asked me about my experience on how I imported fish. So I thought it might be a good idea to put a generic note so everyone can benefit. Its fairly easy than most think it is. Its work, its paper work and depending on your port of entry it may be a 6-8 hr effort door to door.
Below is my overview on importing fish.

Caveat: I have imported fish from Oliver (Belowwater) in Montreal Canada. He is very well verse and aware of all documentation and is very prompt. So my experience or note below is based on my imports from Oliver. Dunno how it would be different, it all they are, otherwise

Look at this website: http://www.fws.gov/le/ Its a good informative website that will give you nice details.

There are 2 categories commercial imports (that need a permit) and non -commercial import do not need a permit. This discretion is made by the office that is entitled for your import.

I would strongly recommend and talk to the office that is your designated port of entry. I would also say - be clear in explaining your intentions.

The overall process is very easy.

Step1: FWS
Oliver, whom I imported my fish from, is very good at sending his documentation. You need an invoice of your shipment well in advance. After you have talked to the inspector at your port of entry, fax the invoice you get to them. US-FWS has made electronic filing of declaration form i.e. 3-177 (very easy instructions) after your discussion file that and make the payments online per import category.

You take copy of invoice and this 3-177 day of shipment.

Step2: Customs
The second step is US Customs - u need to carry your passport and customs declaration form # 7523.

On the day of shipment -

1. U will go to airport (airline cargo) first (all paper work done) - get stamping from FWS on the form - the airline will give you 2 forms that u take to customs.
2. Customs will need to see your passport, stamp one of the form from cargo and give it back to you to be taken to the airline cargo.
3. Take this stamped form from customs, and go to airline cargo (where u went earlier) because your fish are there
4. They will take this form from customs, give you a receipt.. and YOU HAVE YOUR FISH..

Hope this is helpful.

This process takes less time than I took to write this note so don't be scared. I did this with my 7 yr old and 3 yr old on a stormy snowy day.

Let me know if you need any further clarification. I will be more than happy to explain.

Discus-n00b
05-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Thanks! Helps a bunch!

Dkarc@Aol.com
05-09-2010, 12:37 AM
Keep in mind that if anyone is reading this and has plans to import a larger volume of fish ($2,000 USD+ value), Customs may require you to use a customs broker....each city is different, but they can be well worth the money if you use a good one and use them often.

-Ryan

Jhhnn
05-23-2010, 08:26 PM
The only part that seems exceptionally weird is the need for a passport... My Driver's License won't do?

The customs form #7523 needs to be filed in advance?

On the delivery date, you go to the aircargo people, then to FWS, then customs, then back to aircargo?

ashaysathe
05-24-2010, 08:58 AM
Keep in mind that if anyone is reading this and has plans to import a larger volume of fish ($2,000 USD+ value), Customs may require you to use a customs broker....each city is different, but they can be well worth the money if you use a good one and use them often.

-Ryan

This is a good point. Absolutely true

The only part that seems exceptionally weird is the need for a passport... My Driver's License won't do?

The customs form #7523 needs to be filed in advance?

On the delivery date, you go to the aircargo people, then to FWS, then customs, then back to aircargo?

7523 does not need to be filed in advance.

Jhhnn
05-24-2010, 09:24 PM
Thanks, Ashay...

How are your new fish and your beautiful children doing, btw? Well, I hope, particularly the children...