PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a new tank!

DiscusFreak123
05-09-2010, 07:36 AM
Ok, so I just bought a brand-new 60 gallon tank yesterday! I'm really excited, because it's so awesome. I have a couple more questions to ask, and some more planning to do, so please bear with me.
*Filtration-One AquaClear 50, and two Hydro IIIs:D
*Décor-BB, a few potted plants and a piece of driftwood
*Stocking- How many? I was thinking 5, because that way it would be less work, than having the tank at full capacity.
*Water Changes- 50% every three days, with poop and food clean up everyday?
*Other- I was thinking about adding an airstone for extra oxygen and general look of bubbles.

Does everything sound ok? This will all be done after a proper fishless cycle. Is there anything else I should know that I'm forgetting?

Thanks
-Nico

Spardas
05-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Sounds good. :D

DiscusFreak123
05-09-2010, 10:31 AM
Ok then! Also, I forgot to add, what should I use my old 29 gal for then? It's in my room so I want it to have fish in it. I was actually thinking about turning it into a fancy goldfish tank.

Spardas
05-09-2010, 10:34 AM
Are you planning to get any more fishes? It can be used as a QT tank or a hospital tank.

DiscusFreak123
05-09-2010, 10:38 AM
I was thinking of that, but I don't think I'll be adding more fish. But, as a hospital tank....Hmmmmmmm…………… Good point. Since Goldfish are coldwater, hmmm.... Could I have like a few tetras or other small fish in it, and leave them in there if I have to put a sick discus in there?

Darrell Ward
05-09-2010, 10:55 AM
If your 29 gal is running with fish in it, run the filter along with your new filters to cycle them, and seed them with bacteria. That way, you won't need to go through the long process of cycling. I buy and trade discus every few months, and I haven't cycled a tank in decades by keeping cycled bio media on hand.

DiscusFreak123
05-09-2010, 04:15 PM
If your 29 gal is running with fish in it, run the filter along with your new filters to cycle them, and seed them with bacteria. That way, you won't need to go through the long process of cycling. I buy and trade discus every few months, and I haven't cycled a tank in decades by keeping cycled bio media on hand.

Will do Darrell. I think I'm going to put just a few tetras in the tank, maybe a ram or two, and leave it at that.

-Nico

mmorris
05-09-2010, 06:04 PM
I would keep six discus in that tank. I consider six to be the minimum. You might want to keep the 29 empty for now. Your fish will pair up one day and a 29 gallon is a perfect breeding tank. ;) You have been doing a lot of reading, thinking, and asking questions before you jump in. That's very wise of you. Now, get your discus from a reputable source and you're good to go!

DiscusFreak123
05-09-2010, 06:12 PM
Thanks, will do Mmorris! Six it is then! The breeding thing is definitely a thing to think about. And I have been reading a lot, LoL.
Ahh, I'm so excited!

DiscusFreak123
05-10-2010, 07:50 AM
I would keep six discus in that tank. I consider six to be the minimum. You might want to keep the 29 empty for now. Your fish will pair up one day and a 29 gallon is a perfect breeding tank. ;) You have been doing a lot of reading, thinking, and asking questions before you jump in. That's very wise of you. Now, get your discus from a reputable source and you're good to go!

And When do you think that may happen?

mmorris
05-10-2010, 11:45 AM
As soon as they are in the mood. :D

DiscusFreak123
05-10-2010, 06:26 PM
LoL. Hopefully not too soon after I get them!:D

DiscusFreak123
05-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Just wanted to tell you guys that I bought everything today, the Hydros and the Aquaclear. Getting the Jagger tomorrow.